Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career prospect/advancement for Banking sales roles vs Banking "back end" roles (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2747-career-prospect-advancement-banking-sales-roles-vs-banking-back-end-roles.html)

happyman 27-05-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 37389)
Climbing to AVP, not v difficult to attain. After certain number of years etc auto promote etc unless you are doing some really backend role with no prospects. Anyway rank is not important $$$ is more important. Also how much your position / rank pays you depends on your jobscope etc / last drawn pay etc.

Other good backend roles i can think of which are in demand are prolly compliance, finance and accounting (these generally have bad worklife balance tho), market risk/ops risk management.

I am currently a credit analyst, responsible for conducting annual review's of the bank's corporate exposures. I basically do the reviews and present them in the credit committee meeting to get approvals. I manage the review schedule myself, just need to ensure everything is reviewed by year end.

I have been in semi-sales line as a assistant RM in corporate banking. If you want a 'sales' job with good work life balance i would recommend being a RM in a japanese bank. No pressure to hit targets as the senior SVPs are the one who bear the brunt of the targets and you just 'assist' them etc. No stress at all and bonuses not bad in the range of 4 - 6 months.

Thanks for the sharing and advise bro, its veri constructive and its some piece of sharing that I have been searching for ... however I need more of these sharing from u guys to make up my mind. though I have come close to my decision.

How abt pple in sales line? more sharing of urs work life and lifestyle? whats urs mindset and plans when u started off banking sales line. fast cash, build up urs finance and invest or business for early retirement? I believe one would like to enjoy life and likely exhausted by in this industry once u rhed beyond mark of age 40. I would like to hear more sharing from banking sales line.

Unregistered 29-05-2013 09:25 PM

keneffo seas

anybody interviewed for uob banking ops officer ? went for an interview today with VP of HR UOB

Unregistered 30-05-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 37741)
anybody interviewed for uob banking ops officer ? went for an interview today with VP of HR UOB

VP HR is just some super small fry, likely got more interview if you selected.

Unregistered 30-05-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 37754)
VP HR is just some super small fry, likely got more interview if you selected.

Really? Her LinkedIn very colorful

Unregistered 30-05-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 37761)
Really? Her LinkedIn very colorful

Nah that is just standard banking big title flashy CV. A typical UOB rank is like:

Associate
AM
VP1
VP2
FVP1
FVP2
SVP1
SVP2
ED1
ED2
MD1
MD2
Executive Level (President, EVP, some MD2)

VP is just a normal rank that most average deg grads will get in their late 20s or early 30s. VP1 is like AM & VP2 around Manager in most global MNC.

Unregistered 30-05-2013 12:26 PM

business Rildies

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 37766)
Nah that is just standard banking big title flashy CV. A typical UOB rank is like:

Associate
AM
VP1
VP2
FVP1
FVP2
SVP1
SVP2
ED1
ED2
MD1
MD2

VP is just a normal rank that most average deg grads will get in their late 20s or early 30s. VP1 is like AM & VP2 around Manager in most global MNC.

She asked why I chose UOB bro. Why not other banks? How would you have answered ? I told her the truth. I have a friend in UOB, and she's happy despite the long working hours because they have a good culture, where everyone is always eager to help and guide new staffs. And I believe work culture within an organization is key to having efficiency at work.

cslee 30-05-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 37766)

Associate
AM
VP1
VP2
FVP1
FVP2
SVP1
SVP2
ED1
ED2
MD1
MD2

Just curious, how much does a SVP doing compliance earn in UOB?

Dk0088 31-05-2013 11:42 PM

Hi All,

I am in a dilemma too. I am in my early thirties and was offered between a sales manager post (consumer banking) & back end manager role (Operations-branch).

A) Sales manager post (consumer banking)-where I will be in charge of credit card sales through telemarketing & roadshows (direct sales) etc. occasionally have big scale roadshows on weekends and need to be present to ensure smooth operations.
and
B) Backend manager role (Operations-Branch) where I will be in charge of providing sales training (sales coach) to branch tellers etc and initiating sales activities to branch tellers etc. typically 5 days work week.

In your opinion, which of the above have a better prospect and work life balance as both seems pretty attractive? I am currently married but no kid, plan to start my family in next 3-5 years.

All advises are welcome.

Thks!

Unregistered 31-05-2013 11:48 PM

Hi All,

I am in a dilemma too. I am in my early thirties and was offered between a sales manager post (consumer banking) & back end manager role (Operations-branch).

A) Sales manager post (consumer banking)-where I will be in charge of credit card sales through telemarketing & roadshows (direct sales) etc. occasionally have big scale roadshows on weekends and need to be present to ensure smooth operations.
and
B) Backend manager role (Operations-Branch) where I will be in charge of providing sales training (sales coach) to branch tellers etc and initiating sales activities to branch tellers etc. typically 5 days work week.

In your opinion, which of the above have a better prospect and work life balance as both seems pretty attractive? I am currently married but no kid, plan to start my family in next 3-5 years.

All advises are welcome.

Thks!

Unregistered 03-07-2013 03:32 AM

would like to hear more from those doing banking sales too. but not much replies.....all too busy chionging sales? :/