Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Should scholars get equal starting position and pay? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2746-should-scholars-get-equal-starting-position-pay.html)

darialim 20-05-2013 11:05 AM

Should scholars get equal starting position and pay?

Just read this article below and wondering whether it is fair that scholars get better starting position and pay, or should they be ranked together with the rest of us in our first job and subjected to the same KPIs for career progression?

Scholars should start from bottom, too | TODAYonline

Unregistered 20-05-2013 01:20 PM

From what I've observed, scholars started off on same footings with everyone. They just rise up through the ranks MUCH faster than the non-scholars, where given more opportunities to perform, and were challenged more. Also, many positions in government have no relevancy in the private sector e.g. policy. Many of these scholars shine because they know how to talk and justify "policy making" with convoluted rational that few "outsiders" understand except their own kind.

Anyway, form a senior person in public service "we pay so much for these scholars to study, of course must make sure they perform". it's a self fulfilling prophecy.

Unregistered 21-05-2013 02:29 PM

Most of them do start on the same footings as non-scholar. It's largely a myth that scholars are given some official preferential treatment. However, this doesn't mean they are not advantaged. Regardless of whether you're in private or public sector, individuals are given opportunities based on how much senior management likes them. Many of those who are in senior management in the civil service are probably scholars themselves and people tend to favour their own type.

Unregistered 23-05-2013 06:13 PM

returning scholar

I am a returning scholar in one of the ministries and I am anticipating a first class honours in Economics from an overseas Uni. HR has just informed me that my designation will be Assistant Director in a policy making department. My starting salary shall be in excess of 4K. Personally, I am expecting life to be smooth sailing henceforth. There is no need to slog as hard as before and the next thing on my mind is to get onboard the MA scheme. I have heard that that is a precursor to becoming an AO. I would be happy if I could become a DS in 20 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darialim (Post 37278)
Just read this article below and wondering whether it is fair that scholars get better starting position and pay, or should they be ranked together with the rest of us in our first job and subjected to the same KPIs for career progression?

Scholars should start from bottom, too | TODAYonline

Unregistered 23-05-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 37441)
I am a returning scholar in one of the ministries and I am anticipating a first class honours in Economics from an overseas Uni. HR has just informed me that my designation will be Assistant Director in a policy making department. My starting salary shall be in excess of 4K. Personally, I am expecting life to be smooth sailing henceforth. There is no need to slog as hard as before and the next thing on my mind is to get onboard the MA scheme. I have heard that that is a precursor to becoming an AO. I would be happy if I could become a DS in 20 years.

If AD in MTI = entry level. I have seen returning scholars from Oxford taking on Senior Executive positions. They do all start entry level. Yes they do select MA near graduation or after grad I think - good luck. It's a dog eat dog world out there in the MA/AO world (at least the first 10 yrs)

A Civil Servant 23-05-2013 10:08 PM

TS should have worked harder to become a scholar

Unregistered 24-05-2013 01:11 AM

I look forward to accelerated progression in my ministry....:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 37443)
If AD in MTI = entry level. I have seen returning scholars from Oxford taking on Senior Executive positions. They do all start entry level. Yes they do select MA near graduation or after grad I think - good luck. It's a dog eat dog world out there in the MA/AO world (at least the first 10 yrs)

Unregistered 24-05-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 37461)
I look forward to accelerated progression in my ministry....:)

PSC scholars don't stay in one ministry - they're rotated every 2 years...

Unregistered 24-05-2013 09:47 AM

MAs get absorbed close to the end of their 2nd rotation, i.e. after about 4-5 years.

Not sure if this is going to change with the new programme thing.

Unregistered 24-05-2013 09:47 PM

my boss told me that my CEP is up to MX8. Time to slack in office and wait for things to happen, upon my return.