Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or Operations Tech? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2718-exxon-mobil-equipment-tech-operations-tech.html)

Unregistered 27-11-2021 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 191714)
After seeing all this comments so far, maybe I should be happy I didn't get the offer...lol

You should be happy that you didn’t have to waste time to find out the truth.

Unregistered 28-11-2021 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 191207)
The last 3 replies are mine, please feel free to ask any questions. I’ve had enough of this company trying to shortchange everyone of us who has put in their best efforts during the pandemic.

Is the situation same for maintenance role such as the Power distribution technician?

Unregistered 30-11-2021 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 191829)
Is the situation same for maintenance role such as the Power distribution technician?

The problem is systemic. You might get a good supervisor, but if you’ve got high aspirations and want that translated into high pay, Exxon has already followed the Singapore SME Style - company spend millions here and there but when come to performance bonus, nothing. All spent on everything else but employees.

I don’t blame the US side per se, it’s the asian culture which has seeped into management. Everything want cheap, demand the heaven and earth from the employees but we cannot be displeased. Else get marked.

Unregistered 30-11-2021 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 191569)
You talk as if people never train you to where you are now. If others are willing to give you the opportunity to learn why is it so difficult for you to impart your knowledge/skills. Like I said you can hate the company and criticise the company for all I care but don’t have to be mean. Treat people the way you want to be treated. You kpkb so much about EM also still take salary from them.

We were taught, yes. But many have also failed because their mentors couldn’t give a toss - not paid enough to do work and teach. These bunch of mentors were a minority back then. Now more are subscribing to this.

We can be whatever we want, Exxon forced us to be like this.

Why cannot kpkb and take salary? I take salary from you, must eat your faeces? No right?

Unregistered 30-11-2021 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192047)
We were taught, yes. But many have also failed because their mentors couldn’t give a toss - not paid enough to do work and teach. These bunch of mentors were a minority back then. Now more are subscribing to this.

We can be whatever we want, Exxon forced us to be like this.

Why cannot kpkb and take salary? I take salary from you, must eat your faeces? No right?

Hahahahaha

Unregistered 30-11-2021 11:39 PM

Exxonmobil Singapore cannot afford to pay their Technicians’ performance bonuses and increments for 2 years straight. This is despite the fact that a Collective Agreement has been entered between Exxon’s management and the Labour Union.

Guys, all the news about good money and good bonuses regarding Exxonmobil Technician is an ancient tale. This is the latest - join other companies like Arkema, Evonik, Shell, just to name a few. You’ll be treated with Dignity until the day that you retire. EM will wait until you almost reach retirement age and then say that you cannot perform. You lan lan suck thumb and look for a job at 61. Good luck with that.

Unregistered 30-11-2021 11:45 PM

I’ll see how the negotiations go tomorrow before more “updates” can take place here. Stay tuned. If the management thinks that they can delay our bonuses and escape, you’re very wrong. This is not a threat, just giving everyone a heads up on the situation which is happening.

Unregistered 01-12-2021 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 191374)
It would have been unwise for Exxon to retrench us. Just look at the situation now with the guys who have already left due to termination & resignation. Who runs the plant without the techs now, when demand picks up?

Tell u something, bosses will always say - no one is indispensable.. the company is not a 1 man show, without u there are still many other tech willing to step up and train the new ones. Stop the mentality that without u company cannot run, everywhere u go its the same, without u company will stll run, no such thing as no u company cannot function cos not only you have the skill to run the equipment or know the process, many others also know, so pls u are not so call valueble and can easily be replaced.. just because u got no bonus u feeling shiitty, how abt last time when EM give u good bonus, did u work extra hard?, Pls la wake up, i know no bonus means distrup ur plan, cannot buy new things, no holiday etc, but suck it up la, else go find new job, cos end of day remember ur not the only tech in EM, there are thousands more like u.. ur not special..

Unregistered 02-12-2021 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192055)
I’ll see how the negotiations go tomorrow before more “updates” can take place here. Stay tuned. If the management thinks that they can delay our bonuses and escape, you’re very wrong. This is not a threat, just giving everyone a heads up on the situation which is happening.

faster update… MPT already get compensation communication.

Unregistered 02-12-2021 10:35 PM

for newbies, look through the last few pages and be prepared for the same toxicity when you come in. i wish you guys the best.

Unregistered 03-12-2021 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192055)

LETS gooooo we are tuned

Unregistered 07-12-2021 03:48 PM

Field employees feeling the heat

A rise in the number of heat related injuries in Exxonmobil’s Singapore plant raises questions on employee welfare, overly stressful working conditions and arrogance on the part of the management in recognising that the retrenchment exercise held last year was a huge mistake.

Employees who are based outdoors, bore the brunt of the retrenchment exercise, filling in for the tasks which has now been long vacated. Throughout the pandemic, work has never really slowed down as what Exxonmobil management would like the Authorities to think. On top of the contracts which Exxon has to honour, our production focus just shifted to other petroleum derived products. For example, the world demand for PPE has seen Exxonmobil’s Chemical Business thrive under the cloak of an uncertain world.

This misinformation is not just pushed down the throats of the local government officials. Rather, it has also been emphasised on us that the company is facing “hard times”. As a person living under the fear of getting booted out, like many of our retrenched employees, we were tasked with auditing each others’ work. Basically the management just want us to find fault on each other. Tell me how the place cannot become toxic?

Everyone is quietly fighting for his/her chance to stay. So everyone is trying their best to outperform each other - even it means that you’d collapse under the immense workload. And any faults or shortcomings are not seen with empathy from the management.

Unregistered 08-12-2021 12:52 AM

sounds shitty oh man

Unregistered 08-12-2021 11:12 PM

Let you decide

In recent hiring, I was told company intentionally excluded those past employee who left (for their own justifiable personal reason). Do you think company is exercising a fair employment practice?

I heard this was communicated to all and I felt this is purely THREATENING folks to prevent brain drain only. This is in addition to other layoff exercise (do google to understand more context).

You guys think about it. Exercise your judgement and do your research. I am not in any position to said this is a good company or bad company to work. After all, we are here to earn money. But think about this: One person complain maybe it is not representative. But different department folks and so many people complaining? What does this tell you?

In the old days, this company pay you pretty well (I felt) for the workload. But now, those still remain in the company are likely unable to get similar package at their age or waiting for retrenchment package (if this ever happen).

Just sharing my view only.

Unregistered 09-12-2021 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192978)
In recent hiring, I was told company intentionally excluded those past employee who left (for their own justifiable personal reason). Do you think company is exercising a fair employment practice?

I heard this was communicated to all and I felt this is purely THREATENING folks to prevent brain drain only. This is in addition to other layoff exercise (do google to understand more context).

You guys think about it. Exercise your judgement and do your research. I am not in any position to said this is a good company or bad company to work. After all, we are here to earn money. But think about this: One person complain maybe it is not representative. But different department folks and so many people complaining? What does this tell you?

In the old days, this company pay you pretty well (I felt) for the workload. But now, those still remain in the company are likely unable to get similar package at their age or waiting for retrenchment package (if this ever happen).

Just sharing my view only.

Especially true on the last paragraph. Either get stuck and cannot get similar package elsewhere or waiting to be retrenched.

Unregistered 09-12-2021 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 193009)
Especially true on the last paragraph. Either get stuck and cannot get similar package elsewhere or waiting to be retrenched.

with changes in leadership, old company culture might have eroded so whats peft are just dollars and cents

Unregistered 09-12-2021 09:16 PM

Maybe your previous working company is worst than this. Maybe you find here is quite a good company compare to many places you knew. But you do not know since early 2000 till now. The salary & benefit are trending downwards while workload & toxic culture is exponentially growing. To be honest, the competitor companies are paying the similar range (all are cutting cost) but much healthier environment.

Unregistered 10-12-2021 07:32 PM

I'm currently working in a certain Pharmaceutical company & was thinking of going over to oil & gas. I was eyeing Exxon but after reading what's going on in the company right now, I think I rather stay where I'm.

Unregistered 10-12-2021 11:32 PM

Protecting your own kind

Exxonmobil has a system in place to identify and learn from previous losses, ranging from monetary to the intangibles. For years, this company is open in communicating these losses to all employees, in a hope that we can learn and not repeat these mistakes.

But are we really transparent? I fear not.

As early as July, we were all told that the company has been shortchanging us in CPF contribution payments for many years. It seems that the Human Resource Executives handling our payroll has been calculating our overtime payments in error.

And guess what was the Root Cause of this?

Not the Executives’ mistake, of course. But because we, the lowly technicians have been submitting our Overtime Claims late. How can submitting an overtime claim, at most, 72 hours after the end of our overtime be late?

It’s all through the magic of you vs me - who is of higher rank or status.

It doesn’t matter if you’re wrong when you are a supervisor, it will all be swept under the carpet.

A shift superintendent had rolled his SUV at a process plant, nobody bats an eyelid. But when a technician cracks his left rear signal light due to an error in judgement while parking, everyone loses their minds.

Unregistered 12-12-2021 08:34 PM

Ageing equipment leaking oil. To what end do Techs have to “mitigate”

Working as an Operations Technician in Exxonmobil Singapore Refineries means that you’d work with equipment which have been commissioned BEFORE you were born. No money for maintenance, no money for staff. Pattern machiam SME Bosses - company not making money, but end of year management ppl change cars.

Unregistered 12-12-2021 11:49 PM

It is true. Working now is like clearing the mess left by others (eat bones w no meat). The benefited ones are those joined in 80s or 90s. What left now are rundown equipment. Badly maintain because pioneer generation just leeching on good oil price and not exactly capable & doing their duty to maintain the plant.

I will not recommend anybody to join unless you can’t find better place (which is unlikely). Especially the shift in industry trend. Don’t waste your youth on this trade. Try out technology, sustainable energy, healthcare and so on!

Current salary/benefit you see will drop further because of carbon tax, more green initiative and social media etc. just to give some potential examples. This means company will be affected. It translate to salary/benefits in very near future.

Unregistered 24-12-2021 10:37 PM

In the name of the Dollar

The holiday season is here. Like many Singaporeans, Exxonmobil technicians have a lot of leave to clear from last year (i.e. 2020). Nobody wants to forfeit their leave but with the teams’ skeleton crew all year round, it’s hard to find a day when annual leave can be approved.

This is compounded by the fact that many of the technicians are actually eligible for their booster shots. Most of us here know that the Covid-19 booster shots does make one suffer from symptoms like fever, body aches, etc. Technicians fearing that the Omicron variant is fast catching up on the populace are scrambling to get as much protection as possible by getting jabbed a.s.a.p.

But the Management does not see it this way….

Supervisors have told us to postpone / delay our booster jabs to a future date because they can’t find enough people to provide minimum manning. Even techs from other shift teams are unwilling to provide cover because they themselves are getting jabbed during their off days - to not incur any Medical Leave on the company. And… they are exhausted from covering alot of OT throughout the past months.

Think about this, new hires, the management does not care that you contract Covid-19. As long as their teams are manned - they don’t care. All in the name of money.

Is this the kind of company that you’d want to serve?

Unregistered 24-12-2021 10:51 PM

Business teams merging to suck you dry

There are news of imminent mergers between business teams as Exxonmobil Singapore look to tackle the dwindling technician numbers. The tankfarm and marine business teams are looking to merge due to high attrition across other business teams. This is due to the fact that the latest batch of new hires are insufficient in numbers to replace all of the resigned and terminated employees from other business teams - which means that the Tankfarm and marine sections are not going to get any replacement this December.

More and more technicians from the tankfarm and marine sections are growing restless as the latest reshuffle would mean that more workload will be put on them with the same pay.

The uptick in the global demand for oil & petrochemical products in the past months is seen to improve throughout the year, without any respite for these technicians.

Unregistered 26-12-2021 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 190373)
Hey guys, anyone went for EM Singapore interview recently (Oct/ early Nov) for engineer position? I have gone through the interview and was told result will be out within 1-2 weeks. But still no reply after almost a month. Anyone of you got any updates from Thailand or Singapore HR?

Hey bro, how many rounds of interviews u gone through? Have you receive any update from them?

Unregistered 27-12-2021 04:25 PM

Process Engineer interview

Anyone received update from process engineer interview in mid Dec?

My fren received a call from hr to go for medical checkup.

Unregistered 28-12-2021 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 195280)
Anyone received update from process engineer interview in mid Dec?

My fren received a call from hr to go for medical checkup.

Hii,

I've been called up for medical and background check... just went for medicals today.

Unregistered 28-12-2021 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 195357)
Hii,

I've been called up for medical and background check... just went for medicals today.

Hi,

Would you mind sharing your interview date?

My fren went on 10 Dec and he received the call ytd. Mine on 16 Dec.

Thanks!

Unregistered 28-12-2021 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 195380)
Hi,

Would you mind sharing your interview date?

My fren went on 10 Dec and he received the call ytd. Mine on 16 Dec.

Thanks!

Hi,

Mine was on the 10th too. I received the call last week for background check.

Unregistered 29-12-2021 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 195422)
Hi,

Mine was on the 10th too. I received the call last week for background check.

Any process engineer candidates who went for interview this month got their offer letter already?

Unregistered 30-12-2021 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 195632)
Any process engineer candidates who went for interview this month got their offer letter already?

I received my offer letter yesterday! Still waiting for pre-employment check result.

Unregistered 03-01-2022 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 195832)
I received my offer letter yesterday! Still waiting for pre-employment check result.

congrats man ! i just joined in Nov , welcome !

Unregistered 03-01-2022 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194964)
There are news of imminent mergers between business teams as Exxonmobil Singapore look to tackle the dwindling technician numbers. The tankfarm and marine business teams are looking to merge due to high attrition across other business teams. This is due to the fact that the latest batch of new hires are insufficient in numbers to replace all of the resigned and terminated employees from other business teams - which means that the Tankfarm and marine sections are not going to get any replacement this December.

More and more technicians from the tankfarm and marine sections are growing restless as the latest reshuffle would mean that more workload will be put on them with the same pay.

The uptick in the global demand for oil & petrochemical products in the past months is seen to improve throughout the year, without any respite for these technicians.

both tankfarm and marine under same dept, dont see why cannot merge.

Unregistered 04-01-2022 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 196248)
both tankfarm and marine under same dept, dont see why cannot merge.

Perhaps you can envision fuels and lubes merging too? Since also under the same dept? But why isn’t it happening?

This is just a red herring… tankfarm not enough people - then say so. Don’t give us this kind of grandmother story about merging…

Unregistered 07-01-2022 11:14 PM

Illegal cigarettes found at Exxon Jurong Island

Thousands of duty unpaid cigarettes were found at Exxonmobil Jurong Isand facility. It is not known who actually owns them. While Jurong Island is a Protected Area and is guarded by armed auxiliary policemen and the army, many were stunned of the breaking news while some speculated whether the recent loss of income due to the non payment of bonuses may have led the Exxonmobil staff themselves to sell illegal / contraband cigarettes.

This is not the first time that such a huge bust up of illegal cigarettes were found. Just as recently as 2020, an unknown black plastic bag was found in front of the plant’s Firehouse were found to contain thousands of duty unpaid cigarettes.

Tough times….

I wonder if the management is looking into this. Seems no news so far even with the discovery last year. Oh well, Exxonmobil is really in an unstoppable downward spiral as it is.

Unregistered 07-01-2022 11:23 PM

Don’t know why

Exxonmobil Singapore - you reap what you sow.

You may have the power to push us to the edge of sanity, while at work. But you can’t stop us from talking in the world wide web.

More stories to come as they unfold.

Unregistered 08-01-2022 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 196844)
Exxonmobil Singapore - you reap what you sow.

You may have the power to push us to the edge of sanity, while at work. But you can’t stop us from talking in the world wide web.

More stories to come as they unfold.

not exciting?

Unregistered 09-01-2022 12:10 AM

A tanker full of Watered down Jet Fuel

It seems like we can take it up a notch here with more exciting news.

Investigators are chasing their tails here with the previous shipment of Jet A-1, which is commonly used for passenger planes, which was “discovered” to have water in them.

As many here cab figure out, Water will freeze on high altitudes due to colder temperatures and could cause a plane to lose propulsion.

Who is to blame for this recent mishap?

Perhaps the technicians and management are too busy with selling contraband cigarettes to even notice. There are many possibilities but one thing is for sure - you’ll never want to put water in your own car, much less an airplane carrying hundreds of people on board.

Not juicy enough you say?

Unregistered 09-01-2022 04:06 PM

I regret staying in Exxonmobil for my 29 years of service. This place used to be nice to work.

Unregistered 09-01-2022 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 196978)
I regret staying in Exxonmobil for my 29 years of service. This place used to be nice to work.

yeah right. can stay for 29 years means they have done it right for many years. so whats with the regret

Unregistered 10-01-2022 05:25 PM

In the 2008 crash, Lehmann Brothers were the new kid on the block, or were they not?

Being in business for a long time does not equal to doing things right.

You sound like a cult follower.