Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Ntu sociology degree

Old 09-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Verified Member

khozh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What he said was true and hence why I mentioned most sociology majors join civil service. That's why the administrative and policy making part comes about.

Forget about those craps about critical thinking skills. Science and engineering major all say the same things. We all studied in uni and know the truth, it's rubbish.

Having said that, civil service mostly require a 2nd upper. Hence anything lower you are doomed. Except for civil service, any business requires sociology grads. Check out the employment rates and salary on this forum front page yourself.

Those tells you the real situation rather than talks. So many of my sociology friends in the cohort who do not want to join civil service or cannot find a job even after a year.

Oh ok, but lets say if i were to want to work in marketing/sales department, would it be possible? I have a biz ad diploma too and i majored in marketing. With a soci degree would i be able to rise up to managerial roles in the private sector?

Old 09-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by khozh View Post
Oh ok, but lets say if i were to want to work in marketing/sales department, would it be possible? I have a biz ad diploma too and i majored in marketing. With a soci degree would i be able to rise up to managerial roles in the private sector?
MNC & local blue chip not possible but those leftover jobs in SME got chance, but then in SG honestly SME pay sux and they expect long hours. Can join them for 4-5 years and hopefully move on to bigger co. after that.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
MNC & local blue chip not possible but those leftover jobs in SME got chance, but then in SG honestly SME pay sux and they expect long hours. Can join them for 4-5 years and hopefully move on to bigger co. after that.
When you mean move on to a bigger coy, you mean like get experience first then maybe try to get into an mnc?

Old 09-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
When you mean move on to a bigger coy, you mean like get experience first then maybe try to get into an mnc?
Not so easy, most mnc dun hire sme staff unless no choice. You will need to jump b/w different local companies and move up the ladder first, once you have 10+ years of exp with senior managerial jobs in SME it will be easier to secure a AM/Manager job in MNC.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 09-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
To be very frank, a sociology degree is always deemed as a 2nd tier degree where people with not so good results go to.

My brother graduated from nus business with a 2nd upper is still looking for a job. The job market is not that rosy like the nice picture painted. You are not going to be well look upon with you sociology degree. Tell me, what kind of advantage you have over business students who have spent 3 years in a related course?

Don't tell me about creative thinking and stuff, can talk no use. In interview nowadays, show me the evidence and not tell me you can think critically. Furthermore, many of these business students are very competitive and the environment in sociology is imply no good. Doesn't make you hungry and fight for achievements.

It is just my advice to you get out of Sociology if you wanna do business. Sales is done, you eloquent will do. Sell properly insurance etc.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 09-05-2013, 01:18 PM

jobhunter1234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
To be very frank, a sociology degree is always deemed as a 2nd tier degree where people with not so good results go to.

My brother graduated from nus business with a 2nd upper is still looking for a job. The job market is not that rosy like the nice picture painted. You are not going to be well look upon with you sociology degree. Tell me, what kind of advantage you have over business students who have spent 3 years in a related course?

Don't tell me about creative thinking and stuff, can talk no use. In interview nowadays, show me the evidence and not tell me you can think critically. Furthermore, many of these business students are very competitive and the environment in sociology is imply no good. Doesn't make you hungry and fight for achievements.

It is just my advice to you get out of Sociology if you wanna do business. Sales is done, you eloquent will do. Sell properly insurance etc.
Yea. I totally agree. Now the market is not like last time whereby a general degree can get you a decent job. Good companies are looking for ppl either with experience or those holding relevant degree + good results. I would say NUS biz is not as good as those from NTU and SMU, however, it is definitely better than some technical and all humanities degrees. To describe the job market nowadays, fresh grads with good and relevant degrees are finding it hard to secure a job in private companies. Have few friends from SMU with awesome results still looking around for jobs. I would say many who initially wanted a career in private sector are now looking to apply for positions in the public sector due to desperation.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
What he said was true and hence why I mentioned most sociology majors join civil service. That's why the administrative and policy making part comes about.

Forget about those craps about critical thinking skills. Science and engineering major all say the same things. We all studied in uni and know the truth, it's rubbish.

Having said that, civil service mostly require a 2nd upper. Hence anything lower you are doomed. Except for civil service, any business requires sociology grads. Check out the employment rates and salary on this forum front page yourself.

Those tells you the real situation rather than talks. So many of my sociology friends in the cohort who do not want to join civil service or cannot find a job even after a year.
I do agree with what you said actually, I never regretted being a sociology major even though I know the job prospects are not as rosy outside the civil service because I know that I'm interested in social issues and my passion was never in the private sector/business. That's why I emphasis to only choose a major/sociology that OP is really interested in, and since OP seems more interested in a business related career, it might be better to not pick sociology actually.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
I do agree with what you said actually, I never regretted being a sociology major even though I know the job prospects are not as rosy outside the civil service because I know that I'm interested in social issues and my passion was never in the private sector/business. That's why I emphasis to only choose a major/sociology that OP is really interested in, and since OP seems more interested in a business related career, it might be better to not pick sociology actually.
Yeah i'm still considering uh. I dont know about you but as much as I have interest in soci, ultimately the remuneration for the job that I am going to take in the future must be pretty good. How good? That I dont know too for now. For the public sector is it true that it is very hard to get a pay increase or the increment is very slow. And if one is a non scholar, there is a certain level that i can rise to and then i would stay stagnant there?
Old 09-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yeah i'm still considering uh. I dont know about you but as much as I have interest in soci, ultimately the remuneration for the job that I am going to take in the future must be pretty good. How good? That I dont know too for now. For the public sector is it true that it is very hard to get a pay increase or the increment is very slow. And if one is a non scholar, there is a certain level that i can rise to and then i would stay stagnant there?
Even if non-scholar the default ceiling is still Deputy Director. Ask yourself how many people who join pte sector can even reach Manager or Director level in their lives?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:46 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Even if non-scholar the default ceiling is still Deputy Director. Ask yourself how many people who join pte sector can even reach Manager or Director level in their lives?
Hmmm yeah you do have a a pt there. Do you know whats the income level for a dy director?