Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Ntu sociology degree

Old 14-05-2013, 01:02 AM

jobhunter1234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
lol. i think you are about to regret that decision once you start looking for a job.
Yea. I think in general SMU biz is better. However, TS might not be able to score what she has gotten for her sociology major. SMU biz is very competitive and being just good is not enough. I won't be surprised if nowadays SMU biz students are having difficulties in finding jobs. Everywhere is reducing headcounts and big MNCs might not need so many biz grads but more of those with technical backgrounds. Maybe someone from SMU biz could enlighten us.

Old 14-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Verified Member

khozh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobhunter1234 View Post
Yea. I think in general SMU biz is better. However, TS might not be able to score what she has gotten for her sociology major. SMU biz is very competitive and being just good is not enough. I won't be surprised if nowadays SMU biz students are having difficulties in finding jobs. Everywhere is reducing headcounts and big MNCs might not need so many biz grads but more of those with technical backgrounds. Maybe someone from SMU biz could enlighten us.
Just to clear things up, TS is a male and has yet to matriculate lol.

Old 14-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Unregistered

Just another naieve teenager follow passion, prepare for yet another kpkb thread 3 years down the road when he cannot find job.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 14-05-2013, 11:18 AM

jobhunter1234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by khozh View Post
Just to clear things up, TS is a male and has yet to matriculate lol.
lol. my bad. Having read some many comments I have gotten all the info jumbled up. I guess the major chunk of my opinion still valid

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 14-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
The keywords are "non-scholars" and "local grads". You gotta realise the number of scholarship holders has increased exponentially through the last 10-15 years, both local and overseas (more prestigious) . Folks who are now in their 40s and 50s did not have to compete with the many overseas scholars. Practically all stat boards are giving scholarships now. From what I see, it's now very hard for local grads nowadays to compete with these many overseas scholars and the local grads would not be a happy bunch.

This guy has sum it up pretty well (taken from ST not too long ago):
----------------------------
Good grades cannot equal experience

I GREW up believing that Singaporeans should work hard and strive for stability. However, I have seen attitudes change as a new generation entered the work force. With the introduction of scholars, many young bright students with excellent academic qualifications leapfrogged ahead of their peers as well as many experienced senior workers.

This has left behind a group of very unhappy Singaporeans. This large group, coupled with the generations X and Y who are not among the selected scholars, will be the forces that the PAP (People's Action Party) Government will have to deal with.

Finding willing and capable Singaporean leaders to step forward to lead a group of unappreciative followers may become a problem for us as a nation. We have to continue with the basic building blocks of family and community bonding. We need to continue to discipline our children as they grow up.

We also need to continue rewarding experienced workers with higher salaries. Intelligence and academic achievement can never equal experience.
- Joseph Lim Beng Huat
Thank you for posting the article. One of the best things that sums up situation in Singapore. Off topic, but i felt that we should all understand that not everyone is going to be super successful. Take the hard truth, stop dreaming about earning millions without doing something creative or starting business. We are now suffering from the side effects of rapid economic progression. Not much people broke 10k barrier.

Back to TS. Find something that best combines passion with pragmatism. Is there something you can do well too? Maybe doing an engineering degree with a minor in sociology?
Your learning does not stop at the university. You can always learn more by self-reading.

Maybe sociology grads can find a job in marketing and communications area. I know that this departments hires mostly humanities grads. I am in an asset management company, and this is what I see.
Old 14-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thank you for posting the article. One of the best things that sums up situation in Singapore. Off topic, but i felt that we should all understand that not everyone is going to be super successful. Take the hard truth, stop dreaming about earning millions without doing something creative or starting business. We are now suffering from the side effects of rapid economic progression. Not much people broke 10k barrier.

Back to TS. Find something that best combines passion with pragmatism. Is there something you can do well too? Maybe doing an engineering degree with a minor in sociology?
Your learning does not stop at the university. You can always learn more by self-reading.

Maybe sociology grads can find a job in marketing and communications area. I know that this departments hires mostly humanities grads. I am in an asset management company, and this is what I see.
In Singapore property is the most common way to make millions, start business much more risky and 80% biz will close down.

Marcoms will always go for business grads first, humanities like economics, pyschology, journalism will rank behind. Sociology is in the same garbage league as things like Political Science, Philosophy etc. This is the sad truth in Singapore.

Old 14-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
In Singapore property is the most common way to make millions, start business much more risky and 80% biz will close down.

Marcoms will always go for business grads first, humanities like economics, pyschology, journalism will rank behind. Sociology is in the same garbage league as things like Political Science, Philosophy etc. This is the sad truth in Singapore.
Nope, marcoms jobs go to marcoms grads first, followed by business and everyone else.
Old 14-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Nope, marcoms jobs go to marcoms grads first, followed by business and everyone else.
Marcoms is a discipline under business in most univiersities
Old 15-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Marcoms is a discipline under business in most univiersities
Marcoms is actually okay. I work with the marcoms, I don't see anything technical in their work.
My company has a five person marcoms team, just organise projects after projects. Must be good in communications. I think anyone who read up on marcoms and is a graduate will fit in to the role. The head of marcoms team is business grad, the rest are humanities grads like psychology etc.

Is political science on the same level as philosophy? I doubt so. That's in my opinion. Political Science seems to be on par with econs and psychology. Then i think sociology, philosophy will follow behind.
Old 15-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Are you a bit generous with 80%? I'd say 90% within first five years sound more likely.

Currently is property, i agree with you. No idea why everyone is still heading towards finance. Freeze headcounts still got loads of people trying to get in.