Ntu sociology degree - Page 4 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Ntu sociology degree

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 14-05-2013, 01:02 AM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 260
jobhunter1234 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
lol. i think you are about to regret that decision once you start looking for a job.
Yea. I think in general SMU biz is better. However, TS might not be able to score what she has gotten for her sociology major. SMU biz is very competitive and being just good is not enough. I won't be surprised if nowadays SMU biz students are having difficulties in finding jobs. Everywhere is reducing headcounts and big MNCs might not need so many biz grads but more of those with technical backgrounds. Maybe someone from SMU biz could enlighten us.

Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 14-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 11
khozh is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobhunter1234 View Post
Yea. I think in general SMU biz is better. However, TS might not be able to score what she has gotten for her sociology major. SMU biz is very competitive and being just good is not enough. I won't be surprised if nowadays SMU biz students are having difficulties in finding jobs. Everywhere is reducing headcounts and big MNCs might not need so many biz grads but more of those with technical backgrounds. Maybe someone from SMU biz could enlighten us.
Just to clear things up, TS is a male and has yet to matriculate lol.

Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 14-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Just another naieve teenager follow passion, prepare for yet another kpkb thread 3 years down the road when he cannot find job.

Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 14-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 260
jobhunter1234 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khozh View Post
Just to clear things up, TS is a male and has yet to matriculate lol.
lol. my bad. Having read some many comments I have gotten all the info jumbled up. I guess the major chunk of my opinion still valid
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 14-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The keywords are "non-scholars" and "local grads". You gotta realise the number of scholarship holders has increased exponentially through the last 10-15 years, both local and overseas (more prestigious) . Folks who are now in their 40s and 50s did not have to compete with the many overseas scholars. Practically all stat boards are giving scholarships now. From what I see, it's now very hard for local grads nowadays to compete with these many overseas scholars and the local grads would not be a happy bunch.

This guy has sum it up pretty well (taken from ST not too long ago):
----------------------------
Good grades cannot equal experience

I GREW up believing that Singaporeans should work hard and strive for stability. However, I have seen attitudes change as a new generation entered the work force. With the introduction of scholars, many young bright students with excellent academic qualifications leapfrogged ahead of their peers as well as many experienced senior workers.

This has left behind a group of very unhappy Singaporeans. This large group, coupled with the generations X and Y who are not among the selected scholars, will be the forces that the PAP (People's Action Party) Government will have to deal with.

Finding willing and capable Singaporean leaders to step forward to lead a group of unappreciative followers may become a problem for us as a nation. We have to continue with the basic building blocks of family and community bonding. We need to continue to discipline our children as they grow up.

We also need to continue rewarding experienced workers with higher salaries. Intelligence and academic achievement can never equal experience.
- Joseph Lim Beng Huat
Thank you for posting the article. One of the best things that sums up situation in Singapore. Off topic, but i felt that we should all understand that not everyone is going to be super successful. Take the hard truth, stop dreaming about earning millions without doing something creative or starting business. We are now suffering from the side effects of rapid economic progression. Not much people broke 10k barrier.

Back to TS. Find something that best combines passion with pragmatism. Is there something you can do well too? Maybe doing an engineering degree with a minor in sociology?
Your learning does not stop at the university. You can always learn more by self-reading.

Maybe sociology grads can find a job in marketing and communications area. I know that this departments hires mostly humanities grads. I am in an asset management company, and this is what I see.
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 14-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thank you for posting the article. One of the best things that sums up situation in Singapore. Off topic, but i felt that we should all understand that not everyone is going to be super successful. Take the hard truth, stop dreaming about earning millions without doing something creative or starting business. We are now suffering from the side effects of rapid economic progression. Not much people broke 10k barrier.

Back to TS. Find something that best combines passion with pragmatism. Is there something you can do well too? Maybe doing an engineering degree with a minor in sociology?
Your learning does not stop at the university. You can always learn more by self-reading.

Maybe sociology grads can find a job in marketing and communications area. I know that this departments hires mostly humanities grads. I am in an asset management company, and this is what I see.
In Singapore property is the most common way to make millions, start business much more risky and 80% biz will close down.

Marcoms will always go for business grads first, humanities like economics, pyschology, journalism will rank behind. Sociology is in the same garbage league as things like Political Science, Philosophy etc. This is the sad truth in Singapore.
Reply With Quote

  #37 (permalink)  
Old 14-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In Singapore property is the most common way to make millions, start business much more risky and 80% biz will close down.

Marcoms will always go for business grads first, humanities like economics, pyschology, journalism will rank behind. Sociology is in the same garbage league as things like Political Science, Philosophy etc. This is the sad truth in Singapore.
Nope, marcoms jobs go to marcoms grads first, followed by business and everyone else.
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 14-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nope, marcoms jobs go to marcoms grads first, followed by business and everyone else.
Marcoms is a discipline under business in most univiersities
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 15-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Marcoms is a discipline under business in most univiersities
Marcoms is actually okay. I work with the marcoms, I don't see anything technical in their work.
My company has a five person marcoms team, just organise projects after projects. Must be good in communications. I think anyone who read up on marcoms and is a graduate will fit in to the role. The head of marcoms team is business grad, the rest are humanities grads like psychology etc.

Is political science on the same level as philosophy? I doubt so. That's in my opinion. Political Science seems to be on par with econs and psychology. Then i think sociology, philosophy will follow behind.
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 15-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In Singapore property is the most common way to make millions, start business much more risky and 80% biz will close down.

Marcoms will always go for business grads first, humanities like economics, pyschology, journalism will rank behind. Sociology is in the same garbage league as things like Political Science, Philosophy etc. This is the sad truth in Singapore.
Are you a bit generous with 80%? I'd say 90% within first five years sound more likely.

Currently is property, i agree with you. No idea why everyone is still heading towards finance. Freeze headcounts still got loads of people trying to get in.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» 30 Recent Threads
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,166 Replies, 1,334,874 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,617 Replies, 3,082,464 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,049 Replies, 3,846,006 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,723 Replies, 1,135,103 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,882 Replies, 1,757,289 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
81 Replies, 120,432 Views
Where would you invest your money... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 10,946 Views
MasterCard Graduate Developement... ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 4,979 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
120 Replies, 46,684 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
745 Replies, 374,384 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,630 Replies, 1,345,071 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,006 Replies, 1,146,201 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,715 Replies, 5,924,931 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
337 Replies, 114,818 Views
Invitation to apply to civil...
0 Replies, 164 Views
HSBC Graduate Programme 2021
6 Replies, 399 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
873 Replies, 260,123 Views
Looking for job referral,...
5 Replies, 512 Views
Diploma in Digital Marketing at...
4 Replies, 2,491 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
155 Replies, 36,329 Views
How rich/poor am I compared to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
44 Replies, 34,779 Views
Employment agency taking me to...
2 Replies, 136 Views
[advice] Recruitment agency... ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 3,219 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 4,297 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,407 Replies, 2,012,208 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,462 Replies, 981,037 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
117 Replies, 43,558 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2