Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   work life balance for parents (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2680-work-life-balance-parents.html)

darialim 27-04-2013 11:51 PM

work life balance for parents

Everyone's been talking about this ,but I feel parents, especially new mums,face discrimination at work,or can't get a job which is flexible in terms of work hours easily.

So far all the companies I have worked for r very anal at sticking to standard work hours, some even ask their staff not to start a family so soon.

I only hear the very rare case of people achieving work life balance, does anyone out there feel as frustrated about this elusive benefit?

loming 28-04-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darialim (Post 36178)
Everyone's been talking about this ,but I feel parents, especially new mums,face discrimination at work,or can't get a job which is flexible in terms of work hours easily.

So far all the companies I have worked for r very anal at sticking to standard work hours, some even ask their staff not to start a family so soon.

I only hear the very rare case of people achieving work life balance, does anyone out there feel as frustrated about this elusive benefit?

agreed and this is true...government keep promote work life balance but the ministries never follow.....the principal of some primary school doesn't encourage teacher going on part time teaching

WHY

Unregistered 28-04-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darialim (Post 36178)

Hi darialim

To you, what is the definition of work life balance?

For me,

work life balance = reaching office at 8am and leave office on the dot at 5.30pm.

OT is definitely a no-no!! = consider NO-work life balance

Working on weekends/public holiday/any time outside my official working hours, ie mon-fri(8am-5.30pm) = consider NO-work life balance

summary:

work life balance = reaching office at 8am and leave office on the dot at 5.30pm from monday to friday only.

the rest of the time should be spend with your family/friends/or doing personal interests/hobbies.

darialim 28-04-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36188)
Hi darialim

To you, what is the definition of work life balance?

For me,

work life balance = reaching office at 8am and leave office on the dot at 5.30pm.

OT is definitely a no-no!! = consider NO-work life balance

Working on weekends/public holiday/any time outside my official working hours, ie mon-fri(8am-5.30pm) = consider NO-work life balance

summary:

work life balance = reaching office at 8am and leave office on the dot at 5.30pm from monday to friday only.

the rest of the time should be spend with your family/friends/or doing personal interests/hobbies.

Hi, my definition of work life balance is the employer and employee being able to give and take when necessary. For example, I don't mind working office hours, but when there's an urgent family matter, I can take time off to settle it and choose to replace the lost working hours via working from home etc.

It's about being more flexible, employer placing priority on quality of work and productivity than looking strictly at hours clocked, and employee being able to manage his time according to situation, and having flexibility to do work other than stated times, and flexibility to attend to urgent family matters without feeling the stigma of being blacklisted.

Whichever kind of work life balance you subscribe to, it's about finding the supportive employer that respects the circumstances of whichever life stage you are at and accommodates to a reasonable degree the working arrangement you prefer.

But this sounds too good to be true for most people.

jobhunter1234 28-04-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darialim (Post 36205)
Hi, my definition of work life balance is the employer and employee being able to give and take when necessary. For example, I don't mind working office hours, but when there's an urgent family matter, I can take time off to settle it and choose to replace the lost working hours via working from home etc.

It's about being more flexible, employer placing priority on quality of work and productivity than looking strictly at hours clocked, and employee being able to manage his time according to situation, and having flexibility to do work other than stated times, and flexibility to attend to urgent family matters without feeling the stigma of being blacklisted.

Whichever kind of work life balance you subscribe to, it's about finding the supportive employer that respects the circumstances of whichever life stage you are at and accommodates to a reasonable degree the working arrangement you prefer.

But this sounds too good to be true for most people.

What I could say is that many companies despite having pledged that they promote work life balance, but in actual fact, none of them really materialize it. Just watched the news reporting that there is an increase from 1000 to 5600 companies pledging to promote work life balance and to me it is absolute crap. Most employers are only interested in two things when they hire; cheap and willingness to work long hours.

uturn 01-05-2013 06:16 PM

perhaps euro mncs offer work-life balance?

Unregistered 02-05-2013 11:25 AM

If your co need u more than u need co., then work life balance is whatever you demand.

If you need co. more than they need u, work life balance is whatever they demand. 90% of us in this category.

darialim 06-05-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36319)
If your co need u more than u need co., then work life balance is whatever you demand.

If you need co. more than they need u, work life balance is whatever they demand. 90% of us in this category.

that really sucks then, we can't do anything about it except change jobs?

Guest 07-05-2013 02:23 PM

Even if you change jobs, whats the gurantee that the new company offers work-life-balance? Do you interview your interviewer on work life balance?

The reality is that most companies do not practice it and if you keep taking official leave to settle family issues, u may get penalised during promotion time or appraisal time...

Unregistered 07-05-2013 03:05 PM

The reality in SG is that there is little work life balance despite all that hype, all the national survey also confirm this.

My general observation on rough % of co. who really practice work life balance:

1) Ministry / Stat Board = 70%
2) GLC = 10%
3) US/Europe MNC = 25%
4) Jap/Korea MNC = <10%
5) Big Local Co = <10%
6) SME = <5%

Those who want work life balance IMO best bet is still to go for a government job although of course also no 100% guarantee will be good life.