what is a fair amount for a fresh grad going into stat board? - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

what is a fair amount for a fresh grad going into stat board?

Old 26-04-2013, 02:11 AM
Verified Member

qwerty is on a distinguished road

Is your 3.1k a probationary pay? It really seems abnormally low. If you don't mind, maybe you can reveal the industry for better advice.

Old 26-04-2013, 10:11 AM

verycurious is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
Is your 3.1k a probationary pay? It really seems abnormally low. If you don't mind, maybe you can reveal the industry for better advice.
it's not probationary pay. i'm a scholar and having asked around, even my FASS friends going into ministries are getting 3.7k-4.2k (2nd upper, girls).

i'm bonded, but at the same time i have offers from other MNCs (they searched for my school's database and found me, i didn't even apply). not sure whether it's a wise choice to go on the greener side.. but i guess i'd have to stick to the original plan - at least it shows i'm someone who keeps my word. :/

Old 26-04-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In my opinion, you're being underpaid for a 2nd upper NUS BBA grad. You should be looking at somewhere closer to 4k (but of course you can't bargain with govt sector)

Not sure what stat board you're referring to..is it finance related? With your grades, you get a chance to enter banks' MA programs where starting salary is more than 4k already.

There are many MNCs with excellent prospects to consider as well.
the stat board is not finance-related, but i'm in one of the key roles for the stat board.

i don't think it's fair to compare the pay to finance professions, but i believe i'm still underpaid when compared to jobs in similar industries..

Old 26-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Unregistered

follow your heart bro
Old 26-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verycurious View Post
it's not probationary pay. i'm a scholar and having asked around, even my FASS friends going into ministries are getting 3.7k-4.2k (2nd upper, girls).

i'm bonded, but at the same time i have offers from other MNCs (they searched for my school's database and found me, i didn't even apply). not sure whether it's a wise choice to go on the greener side.. but i guess i'd have to stick to the original plan - at least it shows i'm someone who keeps my word. :/
You're bonded where? Private or public sector? Why do you wish to break your bond? Being a scholar has no influence on your starting pay in other organizations.

I think your FASS friends are smoking you, even in the more elite agencies like MTI,MAS, MFA with good honours my friends are getting only around 3.8 and they are guys with the NS increment.

3.1k is reasonable for an average grad in the private sector, a biz grad that doesn't land a target job or MAP in a blue chip MNC will likely start around 3.2 or so I guess. In stat boards and ministries however, it's more about hons class(unless you're talking about a technical post), and a 2.1 degree mostly get 3.5k and above.

I just can't figure which stat board pays 3.1k. Which ministry is it under? Maybe try for a post in that particular ministry and see if you get a better offer.
Old 26-04-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
You're bonded where? Private or public sector? Why do you wish to break your bond? Being a scholar has no influence on your starting pay in other organizations.

I think your FASS friends are smoking you, even in the more elite agencies like MTI,MAS, MFA with good honours my friends are getting only around 3.8 and they are guys with the NS increment.

3.1k is reasonable for an average grad in the private sector, a biz grad that doesn't land a target job or MAP in a blue chip MNC will likely start around 3.2 or so I guess. In stat boards and ministries however, it's more about hons class(unless you're talking about a technical post), and a 2.1 degree mostly get 3.5k and above.

I just can't figure which stat board pays 3.1k. Which ministry is it under? Maybe try for a post in that particular ministry and see if you get a better offer.
i'm bonded to the public sector stat board - don't think there's a choice for me to move to the ministry (unless we're talking about internal transfer in the future).

those related to the 's2' jobs in public sector get 4.1k-ish.

i'm looking for advancement opportunities, and contrary to popular belief, there's no 'fast track' for scholars.

it would be damn obvious if i told u the ministry.. sorry.

Last edited by verycurious; 26-04-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Old 26-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verycurious View Post
i'm bonded to the public sector stat board - don't think there's a choice for me to move to the ministry (unless we're talking about internal transfer in the future).

those related to the 's2' jobs in public sector get 4.1k-ish.

i'm looking for advancement opportunities, and contrary to popular belief, there's no 'fast track' for scholars.

it would be damn obvious if i told u the ministry.. sorry.
Yup, I've heard that officially there's no 'fast track' for scholars as well but in virtually all organizations, talented individuals are earmarked by management early on and groomed for high post. Your scholar status might put you at an advantage there.

I think 3.1k really is low, but I'd just suck thumb and try to stick it out unless you have a confirmed 5k/mth offer or something. I'd be worried that breaking the bond jeopardize any future civil service application. Hope that they make some pay adjustments along the way and get your salary up to par.

How long is your bond anyway?
Old 26-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Unregistered

That seems abnormally low. I'm graduating as well. Also a scholar. Was told by friends inside the stat board I'm going to work for that ill get around 3.6kish.

Friends who got into civil service, males getting around 3.6kish as well.

In fact my female friends in stat boards seem to be getting 3.2kish.

How can you be getting only 3.1k? Are you sure? It should be around the same salary for all fresh grads in public/civil service (depending on honors at least, bar MFA and some other org)

I know it doesn't sound right but is it possible to ask why the discrepancy? 500ish is quite a bit...

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 26-04-2013, 09:54 PM
A Civil Servant

You're right you may not be regarded as a high-po simply because you received a scholarship -

1. Its a local scholarship

2. You only graduated with a 2nd upper, not first class

You are quite far down the pecking order as far as the incoming batch of scholars are regarded - and maybe first class honours self-funded graduates from abroad, and perhaps locally, would be regarded ahead of you.

There is a fast track. Where I am, the A-Level scholars are given much more opportunities to be involved in workgroups, committees, and important presentations. They also have regular contact with upper management - the same ones that sit on the ranking committee come appraisal and promotion time.

You will swiftly find out, its not just about pure hard work, but also who you know, and who knows you.

Good luck wherever you might go.
Old 27-04-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Civil Servant View Post
You're right you may not be regarded as a high-po simply because you received a scholarship -

1. Its a local scholarship

2. You only graduated with a 2nd upper, not first class

You are quite far down the pecking order as far as the incoming batch of scholars are regarded - and maybe first class honours self-funded graduates from abroad, and perhaps locally, would be regarded ahead of you.

There is a fast track. Where I am, the A-Level scholars are given much more opportunities to be involved in workgroups, committees, and important presentations. They also have regular contact with upper management - the same ones that sit on the ranking committee come appraisal and promotion time.

You will swiftly find out, its not just about pure hard work, but also who you know, and who knows you.

Good luck wherever you might go.
going by the same line of thought, i think i have a lot of opportunities for visibility. i'm in touch with the C-level staff and have meetings/presentations with them almost every other day.

i'm in fact very close to a 1st class (4.49), but oh well, still considered 2nd upper.