HELP!Where can i go with NTU eee degree? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




HELP!Where can i go with NTU eee degree?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2013, 12:59 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
oyzoyz is on a distinguished road
Default HELP!Where can i go with NTU eee degree?

Im accepted by NTU eee and will be studying after i finish serving my NS. But the problem is, can i make it big with that electrical degree? My friends have been telling me that engineers are those type that "will not starve, but will not get full". I used to work in powergrid as an intern and i heard that the pay of an engineer will at most be 5k + and bonus is only 1month..... im not quite sure about the salary in private MNCs, but i doubt there will be much differences. Maybe in MNCs the bonus might be higher thats all.

If its true, should i study in a private Uni for banking or accounting degree instead? is it better? Because my GPA is not high enough to get into banking or accounting in local Uni, furthermore, my dip is in electrical engineering.

Thanks to those who read and give me advice i really really appriciate this. i really need help on this.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2013, 03:21 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Studying in public university is always a better option. NTU is recognised worldwide (atleast it is in top 100).

If you concern is about earning money, which is for most of us, the decision will be dependent on what salary makes you contended. For me, I am happy to get 6k and live the life I want.

Engineering sector is generally a low paid sector here in SG (so many engineers out there). You can read in the threads too that it takes a lot of years for the salary to increase. In Singapore, if you want to earn, you have to be your own boss (real estates, trading, consultations etc.). Expats are paid a high salary in engineering sector (foreign talent), and for that matter in any other sector.

Many of my friends who had completed Engineering from NUS and NTU did not join engineering sector but had joined banking due to its lucarative pay. It is well known - An engineer can do anything - that is true as Engineering Degree will force you to study almost all subjects (we had studied modules related to LAW, HR, Programming, Business, History etc. etc. etc.) In a way, your employability is improved/increased. With a Banking Degee you cannot work as an engineer, but with an Engineering Degree you can be hired in a Bank.

Pvt. vs. Public university -
If you wish to be in academia or join as Civil/Public Servant - study in a public university. Everyone has their own opinion, but it is well known in the academia, a student from a public university is better off compared to a student from private university. The general feeling for a pvt. degree holder is - pay money, get degree.

Later on in your life, if you wish to work as a Civil Servant (and trust me it is a good option), you will regret taking a degree from private university. Your chances of being hired will be considerably reduced. Even if you get a 1st class honours in Pvt Uni, compared to 2nd Upper in NTU, a NTU student will be hired for the job. But, if you have decided that you will only be working in the industry - then a private degree is fine. They geneally don't care about grades.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyzoyz View Post
Im accepted by NTU eee and will be studying after i finish serving my NS. But the problem is, can i make it big with that electrical degree? My friends have been telling me that engineers are those type that "will not starve, but will not get full". I used to work in powergrid as an intern and i heard that the pay of an engineer will at most be 5k + and bonus is only 1month..... im not quite sure about the salary in private MNCs, but i doubt there will be much differences. Maybe in MNCs the bonus might be higher thats all.

If its true, should i study in a private Uni for banking or accounting degree instead? is it better? Because my GPA is not high enough to get into banking or accounting in local Uni, furthermore, my dip is in electrical engineering.

Thanks to those who read and give me advice i really really appriciate this. i really need help on this.
https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/...onous-job.html
You can do this too press 3 button everyday and get $6900

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 25-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi graduated from temasek poly. I attended 1 year of NTU EEE damn stressed took 8exams 1DIP/Research and Lab28 credit points per sem, result is chui until duno fly to where.

So i left NTU, and work in a really small electronic SME, bosses more then employee, for a year, now my pay same as the new ntu eee engineer(2nd lower) photonics drawing 2.6++.

Actually i spied and saw some resume asking for 2.5k...

My advice is just take the cert, then work as a exe in logistics / civil and never an engineer!!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 26-04-2013, 01:07 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Studying in public university is always a better option. NTU is recognised worldwide (atleast it is in top 100).

If you concern is about earning money, which is for most of us, the decision will be dependent on what salary makes you contended. For me, I am happy to get 6k and live the life I want.

Engineering sector is generally a low paid sector here in SG (so many engineers out there). You can read in the threads too that it takes a lot of years for the salary to increase. In Singapore, if you want to earn, you have to be your own boss (real estates, trading, consultations etc.). Expats are paid a high salary in engineering sector (foreign talent), and for that matter in any other sector.

Many of my friends who had completed Engineering from NUS and NTU did not join engineering sector but had joined banking due to its lucarative pay. It is well known - An engineer can do anything - that is true as Engineering Degree will force you to study almost all subjects (we had studied modules related to LAW, HR, Programming, Business, History etc. etc. etc.) In a way, your employability is improved/increased. With a Banking Degee you cannot work as an engineer, but with an Engineering Degree you can be hired in a Bank.

Pvt. vs. Public university -
If you wish to be in academia or join as Civil/Public Servant - study in a public university. Everyone has their own opinion, but it is well known in the academia, a student from a public university is better off compared to a student from private university. The general feeling for a pvt. degree holder is - pay money, get degree.

Later on in your life, if you wish to work as a Civil Servant (and trust me it is a good option), you will regret taking a degree from private university. Your chances of being hired will be considerably reduced. Even if you get a 1st class honours in Pvt Uni, compared to 2nd Upper in NTU, a NTU student will be hired for the job. But, if you have decided that you will only be working in the industry - then a private degree is fine. They geneally don't care about grades.
Thanks for the replyy but is it possible or i would say, is it easy for me to get a job in the financial sector if my degree is in engineering?

and by the way, working as civil servant u mean to work for government? jobs like teachers or lecturers?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 26-04-2013, 01:10 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/...onous-job.html
You can do this too press 3 button everyday and get $6900
Wow, very attractive pay, but too attractive to be true.... Is this like an investment job or something? any idea how to get exposed to that kind of opportunity?
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 26-04-2013, 01:12 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi graduated from temasek poly. I attended 1 year of NTU EEE damn stressed took 8exams 1DIP/Research and Lab28 credit points per sem, result is chui until duno fly to where.

So i left NTU, and work in a really small electronic SME, bosses more then employee, for a year, now my pay same as the new ntu eee engineer(2nd lower) photonics drawing 2.6++.

Actually i spied and saw some resume asking for 2.5k...

My advice is just take the cert, then work as a exe in logistics / civil and never an engineer!!
omg i feel sorry for u... u shud have continued studying since u already started... but luckily u are optimistic enough to not give up and glad that u achieved that pay

Anyway what do you mean by working as a exe in logistics / civil? Do you have examples? Because i dun quite understand :/
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 26-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
omg i feel sorry for u... u shud have continued studying since u already started... but luckily u are optimistic enough to not give up and glad that u achieved that pay

Anyway what do you mean by working as a exe in logistics / civil? Do you have examples? Because i dun quite understand :/
I have never regretted that I left, although actually 3 more sems i can grad maybe with a 3rd? i got 59cu when i left

What I know now is semi-con is dying, the best possible place for you to go is major power, and try to squeeze into oil & gas. Photonics will bring you to wafer fab. basically these 2 are shifts work with possible big payouts.

Control/Bio is rubbish, you can enjoy office life, like my corlick now playing fb game with me :x. But the pay is low.

Civil servant lor, like ministries and stat board. My highest paid uni-clsmates are SAF/IRAS/MOE

Or MNC logistics executives, handle those office thingy lor. Those are higher pay then engineers.

I like playing with tech stuff, so i am still here although the pay sux, doing some nus student project for extra $$. Once I am bored I will change to paper work stuff to earn more :x
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Is EEE a difficult course to cope with?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 81
rubberbus is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is EEE a difficult course to cope with?
NTU EEE have been reviewed. So now we have lesser workload, each sems roughly 19AUs. It's manageable, all you know is be consistent, have a study group, be smarter than the system and always try to be mentally prepared for exams. Sure kanna mind **** one. So ur results wil depend on ur batch, bell curve and ur effort.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» 30 Recent Threads
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
506 Replies, 113,661 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,231 Replies, 364,986 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,143 Replies, 1,427,831 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,222 Replies, 3,806,847 Views
Difficult to switch from Public To... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 8,051 Views
Salary Calculation
4 Replies, 1,424 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,371 Replies, 980,474 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,430 Replies, 659,156 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,558 Replies, 2,185,793 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,708 Replies, 6,722,604 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
593 Replies, 52,562 Views
Pay grade at CSA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
182 Replies, 65,733 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,029 Replies, 1,194,622 Views
Job Advice:Is it better to start... ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 789 Views
NEED ADVICE!! LAZADA Business...
6 Replies, 491 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,902 Replies, 1,536,112 Views
Advice needed (Career change)
8 Replies, 3,054 Views
UBS Financial Services Industry... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
238 Replies, 62,223 Views
Help: Looking to speak to 3...
1 Replies, 104 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
719 Replies, 208,637 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
494 Replies, 119,971 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,702 Replies, 2,277,806 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
216 Replies, 81,054 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
332 Replies, 198,859 Views
Working at Maybank Singapore ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 4,238 Views
Different rank in local banks ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
79 Replies, 140,230 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,086 Replies, 437,383 Views
Banks' Pay and Bonuses ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
226 Replies, 110,507 Views
How much savings do you have? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,331 Replies, 587,107 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2