Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

should i stay or move on

Old 11-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Verified Member

omezarn is on a distinguished road
Default should i stay or move on

Hello guys!

Hope to get some opinions from yall. I am a recent fresh graduate from sim-uol from a full time computing n info sys mgt course w/2nd upper class. Of course my classification does not come any close to even a pass degree when compared to local uni.

Anyway, I found a job in the field of QA in a computer company. I started with a pay of $2000(while waiting for my final exam results). Once i received my cert i tendered my resignation within 4months into the job.But my company counter offered me 2.5k and i continued.

Things have been gettin worse. My working hours is suppose to be from 9 to 6. But it gets extended till 10pm daily. I dont get paid OT or neither can i claim hours. Even on saturday i am forced to work and i dont get paid too. My team consists of 40members. And i am the only singaporean.

I am afraid to quit as i am just holding onto a private degree and i have few more months before i hit my 1 year mark. This is a permanent role and i can quit anytime with 2 months notice. What will yall do if you guys were in my shoes?

Last edited by omezarn; 11-04-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by omezarn View Post
Hello guys!

Hope to get some opinions from yall. I am a recent fresh graduate from sim-uol from a full time computing n info sys mgt course w/2nd upper class. Of course my classification does not come any close to even a pass degree when compared to local uni.

Anyway, I found a job in the field of QA in a computer company. I started with a pay of $2000(while waiting for my final exam results). Once i received my cert i tendered my resignation within 4months into the job.But my company counter offered me 2.5k and i continued.

Things have been gettin worse. My working hours is suppose to be from 9 to 6. But it gets extended till 10pm daily. I dont get paid OT or neither can i claim hours. Even on saturday i am forced to work and i dont get paid too. My team consists of 40members. And i am the only singaporean.

I am afraid to quit as i am just holding onto a private degree and i have few more months before i hit my 1 year mark. This is a permanent role and i can quit anytime with 2 months notice. What will yall do if you guys were in my shoes?
The IT world is generally long working hours, 9am - 10pm is considered average. Your previous exp of doing just 9-6 is extremely rare, maybe the co. let you get away with it because you were low level non-exec so they dun wana pay OT.

You go another company join as IT Executive/Analyst going to work OT also, doubt anyone will be able to offer you a 9-6 job, very rare nowadays...

Old 12-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Unregistered

What kind of computer company? SME or mnc. Starting pay is relatively low for a second upper honours. I would seriously recommend u to scout for a better job. Unless you are a programmer chancesof u working overtime is pretty low. Given the fact that u are the only singaporean in the office i would say u have landed urself in a bad job. Prospects of IT industry is actually positive if u know how and where to scout for jobs. What certs did u attain? Dont be discouraged, its true majority of the IT personnel consists of FT and work overtime and all, but that is only true in certain companies. Dont undercut urself joining these companies, do more research.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What kind of computer company? SME or mnc. Starting pay is relatively low for a second upper honours. I would seriously recommend u to scout for a better job. Unless you are a programmer chancesof u working overtime is pretty low. Given the fact that u are the only singaporean in the office i would say u have landed urself in a bad job. Prospects of IT industry is actually positive if u know how and where to scout for jobs. What certs did u attain? Dont be discouraged, its true majority of the IT personnel consists of FT and work overtime and all, but that is only true in certain companies. Dont undercut urself joining these companies, do more research.
hi i am interested in moving into a IT role with no OT, can you recommend some companies that are like that?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by omezarn View Post
Hello guys!

Considering the composition of your department then $2.5k is just about what they may pay a lower level FT. FTs usually don't mind staying late as they can surf net and enjoy the aircon for free. If you are happy then you could consider staying, but since you are having doubts then there's no harm looking around to see what other jobs are out there.

Just to share that I was class of 2005 from the same course. I never went into IT after my graduation so it's not too late to consider moving to another industry.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Unregistered

Obviously, they are using you as a quota, just go look for job, make it seem very obvious you are looking for job. ask for 2600 increase OT, you just need a place to go 1st, then approach your co for a counter offer of not less than 3200, (this is considered low, given you are working 13hours), you basically earn lesser per hour compared to an ITE working shifts.

If you leave, do singaporeans a favor by refering that coy to MOM and see what they say

Old 12-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Verified Member

omezarn is on a distinguished road

Thank you guys! Appreciate the replies.. I dont mind doing OT. But of course i would like to be paid for my OT work. I cant be working free for them daily even on weekends, which means that even though i clock in 66hrs a week on average my pay is still 2500. It has pushed me to a point that i dont mind switching to another industry.

Yea i might refer them to MOM.

My job is more related to QA of h/w products

Last edited by omezarn; 12-04-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Unregistered

Move. You are underpaid badly. At 2.6k for a Singaporean, you are cheaper than a S pass worker.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Unregistered

For engineering sector, basically the norm is always NO OT PAY. period.

I am a programmer and of course no OT pay, because, it is extremely difficult to justify, for example if I am playing facebook for 4hrs, I can get OT pay?

So your best bet would be to get a higher basic, then you self gauge the difficulty level against how much time you need to finish them.

Most people think programmer basic of 3.5k is a lot, which is not since >12hrs of work is common. dollar per hour is just not worth it.

Why i am still coding? I am just typing away while typing my resumes anyways.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:50 PM
ChrissyBelle

Based on my experience (in the private sector for almost 12 years), as you are a "fresh grad", pay scales should not hit $3K. Try gaining experience and move on slowly. As for working hours, it really depends on work exigencies / company requirements. Hope this helps. Don't be over anxious!