Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   PSA Management Associate Programme (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2595-port-singapore-authority-now-psa-international-management-associate-programme.html)

kwkhiu 03-04-2013 01:41 PM

PSA Management Associate Programme
 
Good day to all of you,

I wish to know more about the management associate programme offered by PSA in Singapore. Maybe those who are currently under that program can offered me some advice in terms of the starting pay, allowance if any, the bonuses, the progression and as well as pay increment.

Anyway I heard from my friend that under this scheme, you have the chance of promoting to high position if you show exceptional abilities.

A little about myself:

-Fresh graduate
-2nd class upper degree in Biological Sciences, NTU
-Ability to absorb new knowledge and skills quite well
-prefer team effort and good PR skills

I hope some seniors in this forum can give me some really good in depth information of this.

Thank you in advance

Unregistered 03-04-2013 02:33 PM

All GLC management associate pograms are just slick marketing to attract fresh grads into joining what is essentially an executive job.

If you look at existing PSA staff at G-level, hardly anyone came from this kind of program. Most were either old birds who work their way up or high fliers parachuted in from other government related organization or global MNCs.

Graduates of real management programs by prestigious companies usually hit the 5-figure salary level before 30 yrs old. A typical fresh grad in GLC MA program before 30 can reach M4 level is already very rare.

kwkhiu 03-04-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 35198)
All GLC management associate pograms are just slick marketing to attract fresh grads into joining what is essentially an executive job.

If you look at existing PSA staff at G-level, hardly anyone came from this kind of program. Most were either old birds who work their way up or high fliers parachuted in from other government related organization or global MNCs.

Graduates of real management programs by prestigious companies usually hit the 5-figure salary level before 30 yrs old. A typical fresh grad in GLC MA program before 30 can reach M4 level is already very rare.

Thanks for the reply... but may i know what is a M4 level?

Unregistered 03-04-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkhiu (Post 35199)
Thanks for the reply... but may i know what is a M4 level?

In GLCs M4 is considered the entry level manager grade.

Business titles are different though, many are throwing Snr Manager, Director titles at even lower levels, but internally under career planning M4 is where they start to recognise you as a manager.

kwkhiu 03-04-2013 02:57 PM

Thank for the information, but are there anyone who are currently in PSA MAP program and can give some information as well?

Unregistered 03-04-2013 04:33 PM

MAP advantage is they have more structured job rotation compared to normal fresh grads, but TBH in terms of pay and career progression I don't see much difference.

Many high performers from non-MAP or mid career recruitment end up moving up the ladder as fast or faster also.

If you want to stay in this industry LT, the job rotation opp for the first 2 years might be useful for jumping to big MNCs esp if you get posted overseas. Otherwise for staying in PSA, no difference b/w joining as executive or joining as MAP.

kwkhiu 03-04-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 35208)
MAP advantage is they have more structured job rotation compared to normal fresh grads, but TBH in terms of pay and career progression I don't see much difference.

Many high performers from non-MAP or mid career recruitment end up moving up the ladder as fast or faster also.

If you want to stay in this industry LT, the job rotation opp for the first 2 years might be useful for jumping to big MNCs esp if you get posted overseas. Otherwise for staying in PSA, no difference b/w joining as executive or joining as MAP.

Anyway I've notice that most statutory board do not have such schemes. By the way anyone have any information about NEA's pay range and progression?

Unregistered 17-03-2020 12:41 PM

So the consensus is that it is not worth, in terms of having no difference in starting and progression compared to non-MAP staff in PSA? Any one else have any other views or inside info to share? thanks

Unregistered 17-03-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130274)
So the consensus is that it is not worth, in terms of having no difference in starting and progression compared to non-MAP staff in PSA? Any one else have any other views or inside info to share? thanks

You may enter a MA program but that does not accord you any special status, unlike in CS or SAF when you are immediately accorded a certain status. If someone not on an MA program overtakes you then you obviously suck and ought to be ashamed of yourself. I am glad I overtook a lot of colleagues on the MAP. :)

Before this I was in another GLC and it was largely the same. They do offer full scholarships and I know some ex colleagues who were fully sponsored for a 4 year Bachelor program then full time Masters overseas. When he came back he entered the MA program but thought that he should be treated like a princeling. Needless to say he was sorely disappointed that he had to compete with UOL and SIM students and left when his bond was over.

The attraction here is the full scholarship, not the MA program.

Welcome to the real world.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2