Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career in Logistics (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2554-career-logistics.html)

samhtcandroid 19-03-2013 10:44 PM

Career in Logistics

I have been working in the service and maintenance department in a manufacturing line, doing fine but wasn't satisfied with this current career path. I recently took up degree in logistic managements.

I still have 1yr to graduate. Instead of venturing into logistics field only after getting the degree, i am interested to enter logistics as a junior role. I am willing to work hard and gain experience.

q1) Can Anyone guide me on knowledge in this field? any advice or wisdom on how I should make the switch so that I get minimum pay cut.(though ineviteable)

q2) I do know that logistics branch into many fields like Purchasing, supply chain and warehousing. But I would like to know what experience should i have b4 i can get into purchasing and Supply chain. I m also interested which one earn most money?

q30 What is the STARTING PAY for people with 0 experience and currently only holding a engineering diploma?

kindly advice. I am all ears. I shall be filled with graditude...

Unregistered 19-03-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samhtcandroid (Post 34556)
I have been working in the service and maintenance department in a manufacturing line, doing fine but wasn't satisfied with this current career path. I recently took up degree in logistic managements.

I still have 1yr to graduate. Instead of venturing into logistics field only after getting the degree, i am interested to enter logistics as a junior role. I am willing to work hard and gain experience.

q1) Can Anyone guide me on knowledge in this field? any advice or wisdom on how I should make the switch so that I get minimum pay cut.(though ineviteable)

q2) I do know that logistics branch into many fields like Purchasing, supply chain and warehousing. But I would like to know what experience should i have b4 i can get into purchasing and Supply chain. I m also interested which one earn most money?

q30 What is the STARTING PAY for people with 0 experience and currently only holding a engineering diploma?

You taking logistic management? But seems like you concept is wrong leh. Supply chain is the general term and can be further branched in material management...purchasing...logistic/inventory. Dun really need to study a degree to enter purchasing..but if you have one then it might simply give you a better starting salary.

Unregistered 20-03-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Logistics is so general got many different kind of jobs, which one are you applying for? Many dun even need logistic degree...

Unregistered 20-03-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Logistics is very diverse and u don't need a specialized degree to get entry level jobs for most. my deg is not in logistics but i have done 3PL sales (no need eg) and managed a purchasing team.

You can try to find a material planner or inventory analyst role.

samhtcandroid 20-03-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 34558)
You taking logistic management? But seems like you concept is wrong leh. Supply chain is the general term and can be further branched in material management...purchasing...logistic/inventory. Dun really need to study a degree to enter purchasing..but if you have one then it might simply give you a better starting salary.

1) what is the starting pay in this field?

Unregistered 21-03-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samhtcandroid (Post 34597)

Are you sure you worked before? How come sound like fresh grad blur blur one?

There is only average starting pay for a "job", no such thing as starting pay for a "field". You dont seem to even have basic understanding of what are the key components and value chain of logistics.

As many on top already said, you need to tell us which job you are applying for instead of keep asking what is the pay for logistics.

Unregistered 21-03-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samhtcandroid (Post 34597)

Narrow down your question....the field you are referring to is sooo broad...which industry/sector...job scope...relevance experience...Really difficult to answer. Even diff companies pay differently...SME/MNCs? Even oil gas also so many different divisions...really dunno how to answer.

samhtcandroid 21-03-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 34626)
Narrow down your question....the field you are referring to is sooo broad...which industry/sector...job scope...relevance experience...Really difficult to answer. Even diff companies pay differently...SME/MNCs? Even oil gas also so many different divisions...really dunno how to answer.

Oh many apologies, I would like to enquire on the starting
Pay for purchaser. I only have a dip at the moment

Unregistered 21-03-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samhtcandroid (Post 34630)
Oh many apologies, I would like to enquire on the starting
Pay for purchaser. I only have a dip at the moment

Nobody will hire Diploma with no relevant exp for real Purchaser job. But many firms now giving their buying clerk or procurement administrator jobs a Purchaser title, so maybe you can apply those instead. Starting pay is decent 1.8 – 2k.

samhtcandroid 21-03-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 34632)
Nobody will hire Diploma with no relevant exp for real Purchaser job. But many firms now giving their buying clerk or procurement administrator jobs a Purchaser title, so maybe you can apply those instead. Starting pay is decent 1.8 – 2k.

1) hows real purchaser job paid then? For fresh grad.
2) if i start off from buying clerk, the experience will qualify
Me to eventually get to real purchaser job?

3) will a finance or logistics degree help me get a purchaser job?