Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Prospect of an chartering executive (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2550-prospect-chartering-executive.html)

walsly 18-03-2013 08:49 PM

Prospect of an chartering executive

anybody knows how is it like being a chartering and ops exec in shipping?

how's the prospect like? How much should i be expecting as a fresh graduate (non related maritime degree, economics/finance)? is it possible jump around the industries say from agri commodities to dry bulk..etc.

Thanks in adv!!

Unregistered 19-03-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walsly (Post 34484)
anybody knows how is it like being a chartering and ops exec in shipping?

how's the prospect like? How much should i be expecting as a fresh graduate (non related maritime degree, economics/finance)? is it possible jump around the industries say from agri commodities to dry bulk..etc.

Thanks in adv!!

chartering is an exciting business, and u must be on call 24/7 if you handle the ops part too. the principles of chartering are more of less the same so i would say u will get a chance to jump around from tankers to bulk to liners and maybe even OSV. how much is the starting salary?

oh, and be prepared to entertain in KTVs.

Unregistered 19-03-2013 09:31 AM

you guys are confusing chartering exec with ship brokers...

walsly 19-03-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 34496)
chartering is an exciting business, and u must be on call 24/7 if you handle the ops part too. the principles of chartering are more of less the same so i would say u will get a chance to jump around from tankers to bulk to liners and maybe even OSV. how much is the starting salary?

oh, and be prepared to entertain in KTVs.

shldnt it be the other way round like ship brokers entertaining the charterers? :confused:

Unregistered 19-03-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walsly (Post 34499)
shldnt it be the other way round like ship brokers entertaining the charterers? :confused:

oops, sorry read too fast. yeah, the chartering team is the one chartering from owners or brokers.

depending on your cargo and frequency you may be doing long term time charters or shorter spot or voyage charters. bareboat charters are possible but more unlikely unless u have a big operation going on. in which case u will most prob have a ship manager to manage your operations.

the chartering exec's job is to find the best charter rates through comparing time charter equivalents. charter rates correspond very closely to world commodity prices, eg iron ore, coal, crude, etc. i know charterers have teams of analysts with very advanced voyage planning software to hedge positions and charters based on location, opex, etc.

shipping was a glamorous job until banking took over. still a good industry to be in.

Unregistered 19-03-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 34515)

shipping was a glamorous job until banking took over. still a good industry to be in.

damn... wish someone told me earlier. i think shipping is now the hidden gem. banking is overcrowded.

walsly 19-03-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 34515)
oops, sorry read too fast. yeah, the chartering team is the one chartering from owners or brokers.

depending on your cargo and frequency you may be doing long term time charters or shorter spot or voyage charters. bareboat charters are possible but more unlikely unless u have a big operation going on. in which case u will most prob have a ship manager to manage your operations.

the chartering exec's job is to find the best charter rates through comparing time charter equivalents. charter rates correspond very closely to world commodity prices, eg iron ore, coal, crude, etc. i know charterers have teams of analysts with very advanced voyage planning software to hedge positions and charters based on location, opex, etc.

how would u advise if a fresh grad wishes to break into this line? how should i go about doing it? I'm due for graduation soon (exams finishing in may)but unlike most of my peers who r all rushing into the banking & finance industry, i'm actually looking elsewhere , in particular the maritime industry ( despite holding a economics toilet paper)..
I applied shipbroking traineeship with several big brokering hse but i doubt i could get in cos of the stiff competition.. I'm now looking at alternatives such as chartering exec..
Seems like very little firms r willing to hire fresh grad to be place right into their chartering team..or should i take up ops role first to be at a better bargaining position ?

TIA!

Unregistered 19-03-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walsly (Post 34520)
how would u advise if a fresh grad wishes to break into this line? how should i go about doing it? I'm due for graduation soon (exams finishing in may)but unlike most of my peers who r all rushing into the banking & finance industry, i'm actually looking elsewhere , in particular the maritime industry ( despite holding a economics toilet paper)..
I applied shipbroking traineeship with several big brokering hse but i doubt i could get in cos of the stiff competition.. I'm now looking at alternatives such as chartering exec..
Seems like very little firms r willing to hire fresh grad to be place right into their chartering team..or should i take up ops role first to be at a better bargaining position ?

TIA!

banking finance paying so well? The market can absorb such a big pool of fresh graduates I wondering.

Unregistered 20-03-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 34517)
damn... wish someone told me earlier. i think shipping is now the hidden gem. banking is overcrowded.

i've been to some shipping companies, builders and ship managers with very impressive offices in town which can rival any bank. it's still glamorous and certain segments are still doing well. there are many many FTs to compete with though.

Unregistered 20-03-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walsly (Post 34520)

TIA!

i came into the industry as a mid career switch but i had other experiences and skill set that my co found important. u can pick up the chartering part as u go along.

as for big brokering firms, the competition is stiff as some firms only keep a small 2-3 man set up... usually the FT will occupy the sales VP/SVP/Director positions and many of them can work remotely with their support team in, say Norway or HK.

i don't think they pay well for ops role but it's a start. cheers.