Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Prospect of an chartering executive

Old 20-03-2013, 10:40 PM
Verified Member

walsly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i came into the industry as a mid career switch but i had other experiences and skill set that my co found important. u can pick up the chartering part as u go along.

as for big brokering firms, the competition is stiff as some firms only keep a small 2-3 man set up... usually the FT will occupy the sales VP/SVP/Director positions and many of them can work remotely with their support team in, say Norway or HK.

i don't think they pay well for ops role but it's a start. cheers.
thanks for the feedback. I applied a ship brokering trainee role with 1 of the big firm, got past the first stage and had to do some assessment tests, depending on the results of my test they will decide whether to call me for a 2nd interview n so on.. Though im not pinning too much hope on it, guess i'll look for other opportunities while waiting for the results

Old 22-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Unregistered

i'm currently a shipbroker and it doesn't seem that shipbrokering is as glamorous or well paying as working in the banks. maybe someone can tell which shipbrokers or chartering or owners are paying well? i find the shipping industry to be paying a level below banking.

eg if u were to compare shipbroker to fx, commodities or stockbroker, the shipbroker pay is lesser.

if u were to compare shipping ops to banking ops, banking ops also pays more.

if bank ops pays so well, what more the front office of banks. Therefore, shipbrokering/chartering is not a good paymaster. unless someone here, can guide me or give a different view. as i'm wondering as why i'm getting so little as a shipbroker.

Old 23-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Verified Member

walsly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i'm currently a shipbroker and it doesn't seem that shipbrokering is as glamorous or well paying as working in the banks. maybe someone can tell which shipbrokers or chartering or owners are paying well? i find the shipping industry to be paying a level below banking.

eg if u were to compare shipbroker to fx, commodities or stockbroker, the shipbroker pay is lesser.

if bank ops pays so well, what more the front office of banks. Therefore, shipbrokering/chartering is not a good paymaster. unless someone here, can guide me or give a different view. as i'm wondering as why i'm getting so little as a shipbroker.
hey there! care to share which area u deal with? S&P or chartering or newbuilding etc? whats your annual package like? (inclusive of bonuses).. Perhaps a range will do if u find it uncomfortable revealing the exact figure.

Old 23-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Unregistered

in chems tanker chartering. range is 50-60k all in. do u have any numbers to share?
Old 25-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

it depends on how successful your brokering company is right!

the shipping industry WAS glamorous but banking far overtook it. walk down tanjong pagar area and i'm sure most of the well dressed people are either working in banks /financial industry or in shipping. just look around the industry and tell me how many ang mo and other assorted FTs there are working here.
Old 27-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
in chems tanker chartering. range is 50-60k all in. do u have any numbers to share?
I think not long ago (few mths?) there was a post by a ship broker , too dealing with chem tanker chartering (vegoil) drawing about 120-130k all in.

He was considering of making the jump to being a commodities trader since he have all the contacts.

Old 16-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Unregistered

Default Shipbroker

Hi,

I had just left the ship brokering industry about a year back... I had no degree and i was in the clean petroleum industry for about 5 years.. When I first started as a trainee, my first year: about 30k/annum, 2nd year: bout 60k/annum, 3rd year: 85k/annum, 4-5th year: bout 120k/annum...

The above figures include bonuses and all expenses paid for entertainment. It really depends on how much business you generate for the company... Base pay is low but brokers live on bonuses... Its a complete opposite when it comes to chartering... Their base pay is high but they rarely if ever, get a bonus for a job well done.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 17-07-2013, 07:33 AM
Unregistered

for chartering, it really depends as well if you are just a cost centre charterer (ie buy side)or a freight trading person (buy/sell); latter can trade physical+paper with a P&L and hence, the upside potential might be there. freight trading is usually located in the majors/trading houses where they make freight a book.
in recent years, shipping has not been in great shape, so the $ is more retrained versus during earlier years (e.g. 2004-2008), but if you are good, rewards are still relatively attractive.
Old 17-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Unregistered

Shipping WAS glamorous but now it sucks. Major shipping companies are all doing poorly or making losses and the dry bulk segment is faced with severe oversupply. Only shipbuilders seem doing be doing merely 'ok'. Just look at NOL's stocks which are almost at a all time low...
Old 31-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Unregistered

Default Interview qns

Greetings,

I will be having an upcoming interview with an MNC shipping firm as a charterer. Having come from an non-relevant degree, business, I would like to seek the help of veterans in this industry on what kind of questions I would be expecting, technical-based stuff?

To add on, any other tips to excel in this interview and get the job will be kindly appreciated as I have absolute keen interest ever since my NS days in the Navy.

Thanks