Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Is your Starting Salary for fresh Graduate Important? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2531-your-starting-salary-fresh-graduate-important.html)

dupdupdup 10-03-2013 11:22 PM

Is your Starting Salary for fresh Graduate Important?

Is your Starting Salary for fresh Graduate Important? This is with regards to private sector.

Should you go for a job that has low pay but good opportunities? When you Job hop they offer you a salary based on your previous pay. So this will be hugely affected right?

Thanks! :)

Unregistered 11-03-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dupdupdup (Post 34095)
Is your Starting Salary for fresh Graduate Important? This is with regards to private sector.

Should you go for a job that has low pay but good opportunities? When you Job hop they offer you a salary based on your previous pay. So this will be hugely affected right?

Thanks! :)

I cannot reiterate any more times then this.

STARTING SALARY IS EVERYTHING!!!

You know why companies ask you your previous drawn pay?..... think about it.....

If you start low, you are f**ked for life.

Unregistered 11-03-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 34104)
I cannot reiterate any more times then this.

STARTING SALARY IS EVERYTHING!!!

You know why companies ask you your previous drawn pay?..... think about it.....

If you start low, you are f**ked for life.

does this also apply when hopping from government job to private sector? or when hopping from govt job to private sector usually there will be pay cuts?

Unregistered 12-03-2013 01:29 PM

How much you make and how fast you rise in your first 3-5 years is more important. It will decide if you are groomed for top positions later on.

Unregistered 12-03-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 34142)
How much you make and how fast you rise in your first 3-5 years is more important. It will decide if you are groomed for top positions later on.

My starting pay is low but I have overtaken some of my peers who had a higher starting pay than me. Furthermore, I started working 5 months later than my friends.

dupdupdup 13-03-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 34147)
My starting pay is low but I have overtaken some of my peers who had a higher starting pay than me. Furthermore, I started working 5 months later than my friends.

So what you learn and the company has career progression is more important? :)

Unregistered 13-03-2013 09:36 AM

I am the guy who posted :

"STARTING SALARY IS EVERYTHING"

ok obviously this statement is overly sweeping. So I'll add a little disclaimer.

Obviously this only applies to jobs which are dead and labour intensive la, like manufacturing, engineers, low level admin, blar blar you get the point.

For other case which will trash this statement would be:

Revenue generating -> usually low base, but basically that company is yours if you can sell enough.

Military and gahment jobs.

So you what industry what expectations bah

Unregistered 13-03-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dupdupdup (Post 34167)
So what you learn and the company has career progression is more important? :)

Yes. Understand the current trend and learn the correct skills. Carry forward to the next company and you can acheive reasonable pay rise.

Unregistered 13-03-2013 02:08 PM

it's not where you start, it's how you end. The Journey.

I started my job at 2900 few months ago.. after probation is 3100.

Fresh grad

Unregistered 13-03-2013 02:14 PM

1 sentence to end all arguments:

If starting salary does not matter, then why people ask for your previously drawn pay?