Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Statutory Board Salary/Increment/Bonus

Old 05-03-2013, 09:23 PM

cslee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobhunter1234 View Post
I dun quite understand why would healthcare, security, and education be transferable? Healthcare itself is a niche and I won't consider working in govt hospital be any different as compared to private hospital. That is also not the sort of jobs that I'm interested in. Even for the admin-related healthcare positions, I dun think it will be transferable in the future e.g. policy formulation, hospital ops. Security? which area? police..army? Those are not transferable. Education? Yes...it is transferable but first have to ask yourself if you are interested in teaching.

As for procurement, I'm not too concern over the rules but I'm more interested in having a start in that particular field i.e. learn about basic procurement process...issue po... liaise with vendors...knowing what type of software they using etc....

I dun understand why you would say healthcare, security, education these areas as being transferable. To me, those are really niche jobs as compared to procurement being more general.
Procurement process in public sector is probably the most niche and least transferable. You just have to follow the book. If unclear, just ding/dong with parent ministries and MOF. Even if you want to hop to corporate sale jobs later, it's also completely different skillsets. On the other hand, Healthcare workers are among the most transferable e.g. doctors, nurses, therapists, counselors etc. Security like protective area are in demand with the growing ultra-rich in sg, another is forensic investigation etc. Having said that, procurement/internal audits positions indeed have the most no. of openings in public sector right now.... all thanks to those "innovative" officers that abuse the system.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:56 PM

jobhunter1234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee View Post
Procurement process in public sector is probably the most niche and least transferable. You just have to follow the book. If unclear, just ding/dong with parent ministries and MOF. Even if you want to hop to corporate sale jobs later, it's also completely different skillsets. On the other hand, Healthcare workers are among the most transferable e.g. doctors, nurses, therapists, counselors etc. Security like protective area are in demand with the growing ultra-rich in sg, another is forensic investigation etc. Having said that, procurement/internal audits positions indeed have the most no. of openings in public sector right now.... all thanks to those "innovative" officers that abuse the system.
Nope I disagree. I think our understanding of the term transferable is kind of different. Putting those saga aside, I think most procurement processes are relatively the same i.e sourcing, liaising with vendors, tracking deliveries etc. Govt procurement might involve more red tapes and the stuff being purchased could be unique like weapons, ammunition etc..but the general process to execute the purchase should be similar. For this particular skill set to be transferable doesn't mean that you are bringing the entire govt procurement rules and regulations over to the next job, on the other hand, you are simply using the same set of procuring skills but following a different procurement protocol/system laid out by companies in the private sector.

Next, I dun think the mindset of gaining transferable skills is even appropriate to be used in healthcare sector. You mentioned doctors...nurses...therapists....all these are professionals and they are trained to be qualified to work in hospitals. They are gaining experience and not a different skill set. There is nothing to be transferred in this sense.

Transferable skills for security? You referring to combat skills? area patrol? to be frank, I always consider those who wanna join police or army as those who are determined to stay in that job for the rest of their career life. Why? Because you can go nowhere and that sort of experience is irrelevant outside unless you tell me you wanna apply to become a security personnel. Yes..I agree these are impt jobs and the market is there...but an individual really need to have the passion in it. Ppl eyeing for 8-5 jobs or an office environment won't be interested in security sector. Forensic investigation is transferable? I really dun that understand that logic. What is there to transfer if you decide to job hop? This is real niche.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:15 PM

cslee is on a distinguished road

I think the original topic is about transferable skillsets. And you only interested in 8-5 office general jobs and is not willing or unable to be trained as real-world professionals i.e. only want easy way. Security irrelevant? The richer the companies/individuals, the more security needed - look at the commercial security companies (inc. protective, IT, accounting, money-laundering etc) that you can potentially lead/guide and even setup. Clients include major finance institutions, MNCs and ultra-rich etc.

Procurement is just like other admin jobs. Let's wait till you get a procurement job: 1) share with us how much you've learnt that can add real value to other MNCs. 2) and how far you can go.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:38 PM

jobhunter1234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee View Post
I think the original topic is about transferable skillsets. And you only interested in 8-5 office general jobs and is not willing or unable to be trained as real-world professionals i.e. only want easy way. Security irrelevant? The richer the companies/individuals, the more security needed - look at the commercial security companies (inc. protective, IT, accounting, money-laundering etc) that you can potentially lead/guide and even setup. Clients include major finance institutions, MNCs and ultra-rich etc.

Procurement is just like other admin jobs. Let's wait till you get a procurement job: 1) share with us how much you've learnt that can add real value to other MNCs. 2) and how far you can go.
No offense. Procurement itself is not a simple job and is unlike what you have referred to as a simple way out. It is an admin job, but it is not JUST an admin job. Do you know that it takes a lot of experience for an individual to become a procurement expert? Do you know that there are lots of knowledge involved in procurement process? Do you know that MNCs are paying a lot of money to employ ppl with procurement experience? Why do I say that? Because I know of ppl that earning a lot doing this sort of stuff.

Fine. If you are referring to security in areas of IT, accounting, etc. You have your point and respect your opinion.

Again. I didn't post the previous few msgs to challenge your views. Instead, I'm just trying to clear my doubts. It is just friendly debate after all.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:31 AM
Incognito

Posted this question in another thread; just posting it here again to get more coverage

I'm curious, is there anyone here who is a non-scholar or happens to know a non-scholar, and this non-scholar has over the course of several years climbed from a fresh graduate position to a DD or D in a stat board/ministry? It would be really interesting to know what the climb was like...especially in terms of the number of years it took for this non-scholar to climb up there.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Real scholars under AO dun start in a stat board. They will only be parachuted to lead farmers at around Director or Chief Exec level. The farmers that take up scholarships within SB are still considered farmers and subject to the same ceiling and pay as the masses.

A typical farmer will retire as a DD, very good performer maybe a D, DD roughly equal to a jnr manager in a big MNC, D is like a mid-low level manager.
Actually, this statement is spot on. Can't be further from the truth.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Posted this question in another thread; just posting it here again to get more coverage

I'm curious, is there anyone here who is a non-scholar or happens to know a non-scholar, and this non-scholar has over the course of several years climbed from a fresh graduate position to a DD or D in a stat board/ministry? It would be really interesting to know what the climb was like...especially in terms of the number of years it took for this non-scholar to climb up there.
I suggest you check out Linkedin. You'll find a ton of information about people's career paths there. Most of the profiles are public.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I suggest you check out Linkedin. You'll find a ton of information about people's career paths there. Most of the profiles are public.
Oh and it's easy to spot the scholars - someone who has an Ivy League/Oxbridge education (few Singaporean can afford- and those who can, won't come back to Singapore), whose first job is at the govt at a higher level than most farmers (e.g. AD) and who are with ministries/statboards for at least 5 years. Sadly, many scholars (the ones with highest caliber) don't stay and you'll see them joining the banks/investment firms.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:05 AM
Incognito

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Just went through a few profiles. Frankly speaking, as a non-scholar, it makes for depressing reading. These high flyers in the public service owe a lot to their academic credentials for their career advancement. This is nothing new, I know, but still, depressing, because it doesn't give the non-scholars much of a fighting chance.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:04 AM

louis7788 is on a distinguished road
Default Career Opportunity after bond

Hi everyone,

From what i know about the stat boards from friends who are scholars, ie: Spring/EDB/IE.

Starting pay is around 3.5k - 4k with a bond of two years.

Im considering to apply for this scholarship too thus the questions coming!

Will the skills learnt in these stat boards be transferable assuming i am doing business development during the bond.
Will there be a pay cut if i switch to the pte sector after the bond?
Possibility of earning pay like more than 7k if i stay on?
Anyone knows the pay structure for the stat boards?

Attempted to find the pay structure but no available information.

Hope anyone can help with all these questions!

Thanks in advance!