NUS Engineering deg+Priv Master Finance, what niche job? No Exp - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

NUS Engineering deg+Priv Master Finance, what niche job? No Exp

Old 19-11-2012, 11:45 PM

wahkao is on a distinguished road
Default NUS Engineering deg+Priv Master Finance, what niche job? No Exp

NUS Engineering degree +Private Master Finance Degree can take up what kind of niche job? No exp

For someone with NUS engineering degree electrical 2nd upper + master finance degree, what kind of job can be taken to niche? No experience.

Due to my incompetency in securing entry into Harvard, MIT, Standford, the Master Finance degree is not ivy league. It's some aussy university degree.

Anyone can advice how to start and find a niche job?
Seems like only venture capitalism job demand these 2 certs, but it is elite job. Very little vacancies available and they want elite investment banker experience.

I am ok with non elite jobs.The most important thing is niche using my unique background to fight off FTs from stealing my job.
No IT job pls because IT job full of ABNN sooner or later will kanna replaced or outsourced!

Personally I have 4.5 years of local sales and marketing experience in industrial product. At the Manufacturer level.

Some ideas
1) go into engineering companies and be a competition analyst. Study the financial health and technical competencies of competing engineering companies. Also seems like the job is very rare.

2) Quant jobs - those elite financial engineer guys can program high frequency trading on stock market. BUT AGAIN, only elites from Ivy league can apply.

3) Venture capital job specializing in technology acquisition. But those jobs are rare. And they prefer elite investment banking background again

4) Merger and Acquisitions at engineering MNCs. Again, I think these jobs are really rare. How often does a company makes acquisitions? I dunno how elite requirements they have, never seen such jobs up for grabs before.

5) Pricing analyst. Look at how changing prices to match competitors affect company's cashflow. Probably my best bet here.

6) Project financing and budgeting. Look at how to finance an engineering project. I think need director level and above for this.

I really dunno.

Any advice from experienced HR ppl, recruiters, finance sector people, or engineering ppl here??

Thanks

Old 20-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Unregistered

Ermm so many locals and FTs are buying private finance masters and mba nowadays like nobodys business. I think your areas of intrest are all the either elite or very senior level, must be realistic in your expectations...

Old 20-11-2012, 12:13 PM

my interest is out of reach. Only elite can go
so now no choice
must go for alternatives

any suggestions?

Old 20-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Unregistered

Well quite honestly if its just a pte uni masters, the choices for you is either go back to the manufacturing environment, join the banking back office or maybe some sort of entry corp finance executive in a normal company. The problem with joining corp finance is they prefer people with CPA or ACCA background instead of a short pte masters course.
Old 21-11-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Well quite honestly if its just a pte uni masters, the choices for you is either go back to the manufacturing environment, join the banking back office or maybe some sort of entry corp finance executive in a normal company. The problem with joining corp finance is they prefer people with CPA or ACCA background instead of a short pte masters course.
any advice on how to niche?
Old 21-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahkao View Post
any advice on how to niche?
no idea, 1 piece of advice - buying a masters degree and going to an online forum to keep pester others to teach you how to niche dont work. just accept the fact you are a average person and go look for a average job out there, stop dreaming

Old 21-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
my interest is out of reach. Only elite can go
so now no choice
must go for alternatives
any suggestions?
which company would want to hire you if you have no interest?
if your gf finds out that you are dating her only because she is the "backup choice", you think she'll still be interested in you? only if you're damn handsome or have lots of money, but as you've said, you're not elite.
Old 22-11-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
no idea, 1 piece of advice - buying a masters degree and going to an online forum to keep pester others to teach you how to niche dont work. just accept the fact you are a average person and go look for a average job out there, stop dreaming
Yes yes I ready said that I am incompetent for not having elite education. How many times do I have to say it.

Your criticism here and there adds no value. I am looking for constructive advice.
do you have any constructive advice?
Old 22-11-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
which company would want to hire you if you have no interest?
if your gf finds out that you are dating her only because she is the "backup choice", you think she'll still be interested in you? only if you're damn handsome or have lots of money, but as you've said, you're not elite.
In jobs hunting, no interest also must pretend got interest.
Do you think the toilet cleaning auntie has any interest in toilets? Why she got hired? Job hunting is different from having a GF or a wife, dont mix the 2.

I already say I not elite liao. You still want to repeat and repeat. Why must emphasize on the not elite part? Does it makes you feel superior? If you have to do this, I think you seriously have an inferiority complex problem.

I posted this thread asking for advice on how to maximize what I have in hand now. Do you have any constructive advice on how I can achieve this?
Old 22-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes yes I ready said that I am incompetent for not having elite education. How many times do I have to say it.

Your criticism here and there adds no value. I am looking for constructive advice.
do you have any constructive advice?
the definition of niche means special skillset or job area that very few can do. you come into a mass forum with lousy credential expecting somebody to teach you trade secrets to get a niche job?

here is some contsructive advice for you - get your ass` off the bed & go get an entry level exec job or junior engineer job.