Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Management Trainee in banking field (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2440-management-trainee-banking-field.html)

ymwon20 04-02-2013 10:50 AM

Management Trainee in banking field

Hi, im just graduated from uni and currently seeking employment in banking field. I realized that many banks(ie citi, standard chartered, ocbc) are offering graduate programme/ fast track programme etc.

Is it worth to apply for MT as we get to work + learn and get paid at the same time? and I wonder how much is the pay for these kind of programme?

Thanks. :):):)

Unregistered 04-02-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ymwon20 (Post 32968)
Hi, im just graduated from uni and currently seeking employment in banking field. I realized that many banks(ie citi, standard chartered, ocbc) are offering graduate programme/ fast track programme etc.

Is it worth to apply for MT as we get to work + learn and get paid at the same time? and I wonder how much is the pay for these kind of programme?

You have some misunderstanding. You sound as if you are the one who should be thinking whether to accept their program. In real life, it's more like you begging them to accept you and they take their time to choose the best 5 among 2,000 applicants.

Unregistered 04-02-2013 09:20 PM

Worth!?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ymwon20 (Post 32968)

It it worth? Lol, you should be thinking whether you are worthy enough to be even considered for first round of interview. Just trying to share with you the harsh reality. Banking sector is even tougher than most of the industries out there. There isn't work-life balance for most of the time, until you manage to make it happen. Thus, choose an industry that you prefer rather than applying for bank programmes and be jobless for a long period of time. If you don't believe, go research more. You are a degree holder, think and act like one. No offence. (:

Unregistered 05-02-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 32972)
You have some misunderstanding. You sound as if you are the one who should be thinking whether to accept their program. In real life, it's more like you begging them to accept you and they take their time to choose the best 5 among 2,000 applicants.

Ok it's not easy to get in. We get your point, and there is no need to be an arrogant prick about it. Anyway you hv not answered his question.

Anyways, back to the question.

Diff banks have diff pay scales. If you are talking about the management associate programmes, believe local banks are paying about $3.5k to $4k. Foreign houses like citi and HSBC may be at c $4.5 to $5k. Again there are diff programmes, so u need to do your own research. Back office ops may pay less. Front office ib or cap mkt will pay more (ie db pays c $10k for ib analysts).

The better programmes are usually not easy to get in and the typical profile of a successful candidate will be min 2nd upper (often first), strong in some cca (sports captain, queen scout, national team), at least 3 to 5 high quality internships and of course good interviewing skills.

So go in w your eyes open. And if you hv any contacts at all within the industry, make full use of them and their contacts. The back door way is probably easier, if you hv such access.

Unregistered 05-02-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 32989)
Ok it's not easy to get in. We get your point, and there is no need to be an arrogant prick about it. Anyway you hv not answered his question.

Diff banks have diff pay scales. If you are talking about the management associate programmes, believe local banks are paying about $3.5k to $4k. Foreign houses like citi and HSBC may be at c $4.5 to $5k. Again there are diff programmes, so u need to do your own research. Back office ops may pay less. Front office ib or cap mkt will pay more (ie db pays c $10k for ib analysts).

The better programmes are usually not easy to get in and the typical profile of a successful candidate will be min 2nd upper (often first), strong in some cca (sports captain, queen scout, national team), at least 3 to 5 high quality internships and of course good interviewing skills.

So go in w your eyes open. And if you hv any contacts at all within the industry, make full use of them and their contacts. The back door way is probably easier, if you hv such access.

It's better to be straight to the point to correct his fundamental misunderstanding then waste time talking about irrelevant stuff like pay when it's quite clear he is confusing MA programe with an industrial attachment.

ymwon20 05-02-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 32985)
It it worth? Lol, you should be thinking whether you are worthy enough to be even considered for first round of interview. Just trying to share with you the harsh reality. Banking sector is even tougher than most of the industries out there. There isn't work-life balance for most of the time, until you manage to make it happen. Thus, choose an industry that you prefer rather than applying for bank programmes and be jobless for a long period of time. If you don't believe, go research more. You are a degree holder, think and act like one. No offence. (:

yea before i enrolled into uni i already know the fact that banking sector is not easy. Anyway i will try my best in everything, thanks for your info ;)

ymwon20 05-02-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 32989)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 32990)
It's better to be straight to the point to correct his fundamental misunderstanding then waste time talking about irrelevant stuff like pay when it's quite clear he is confusing MA programe with an industrial attachment.

Alright, I'm really thankful for all the information. At first I was really confused about this programme, I just wanted to know more and now I've a clearer picture of it. anyway thanks for correcting me :)

Unregistered 08-02-2014 12:49 AM

Will all Management trainees be successful at the end of the program and fast-tracked to senior roles? Or has any chances that the MA be condemned due to poor performance?

Unregistered 08-02-2014 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48018)
Will all Management trainees be successful at the end of the program and fast-tracked to senior roles? Or has any chances that the MA be condemned due to poor performance?

whether mt or not, a regular employee or a clerk, whoever can produce results get to be promoted. in whatever company one works in, he who perform poorly will be asked for his resignation.

Anyway, MA executives always have a slim slim chance of hitting the CEO rank. Board of directors usually choose within their ranks before searching for outsiders.

Unregistered 08-02-2014 09:56 PM

You're a bit too late

TS, not sure if you're aware, most of the banks have closed out on their MA / grad development program hiring for the 2014 intake already. Offers have been made and accepted by this point.