Annual Package @ Barclays - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Annual Package @ Barclays

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2013, 12:27 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
Handsomeboy is on a distinguished road
Default Annual Package @ Barclays

Hi folks,

I humbly ask for some good advice.

I'm a mid 30s SG guy interviewing for a mid/back office VP role. 3 burning questions:

1. What is the pay structure at barclays (e.g. basic + annual fixed package + allowances + variable bonus?). How does the basic differ from the AFP?

2. What is the typical package for a VP with ~8 years of experience?

3. When negotiating the package, does the HR take into account your previous annual package (basic + bonuses + allowances) or just the basic? I came from another bank that had low basic but high bonuses. Hence, it doesn't seem to make any sense even if Barclays was willing to give me a nice percentage increment above my current basic.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsomeboy View Post
Hi folks,

I humbly ask for some good advice.

I'm a mid 30s SG guy interviewing for a mid/back office VP role. 3 burning questions:

1. What is the pay structure at barclays (e.g. basic + annual fixed package + allowances + variable bonus?). How does the basic differ from the AFP?

2. What is the typical package for a VP with ~8 years of experience?

3. When negotiating the package, does the HR take into account your previous annual package (basic + bonuses + allowances) or just the basic? I came from another bank that had low basic but high bonuses. Hence, it doesn't seem to make any sense even if Barclays was willing to give me a nice percentage increment above my current basic.

Thanks.

I assume you are talking about Cap.

1) Basic + Advanced Fixed Payment + PB + car allowance
Car allowance is monthly.
(Basic + AFP) spread out over 12 months.
PB is once yearly.

2) About 160K p.a.

3) It of course isn't totally about how much you are getting. It's also about what the industry pays for a similar position requiring similar skills.
It will be up to your research + negotiation skills.



SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I assume you are talking about Cap.

1) Basic + Advanced Fixed Payment + PB + car allowance
Car allowance is monthly.
(Basic + AFP) spread out over 12 months.
PB is once yearly.

2) About 160K p.a.

3) It of course isn't totally about how much you are getting. It's also about what the industry pays for a similar position requiring similar skills.
It will be up to your research + negotiation skills.
Thanks a lot bro.

Whats the difference between basic and advanced fixed payment?

Does your 160K include everything that you listed in 1)?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

If you have low basic and high bonus, it would be good to negotiate from a total package point of view.

Lets say I earn $5k a month now and bonus for the last 3 years average at 6 months. I would say I need annually at least $90k + X% increment from job change to be motivated to move.

You should ask their HR whats the average bonus is like in Barcap, and work your fixed monthly from there. Say if its only 1 month average and lets say you want X% to be 20%, then its 1.2X90/13 = $8.3k per month fixed or $100k per annum fixed.

In this case, overall you will be better off. Do not allow HR to just discount your high variable bonuses. You must factor them in and use average 3 years or so to make a credible case that this variable bonus is in a way part of your current package.

Of coz the discussion is fluid, but the principle that you must not be worst off overall and can see a decent jump to join.

What is decent is really up to you, the market conditions, what is and how far are you from market rate, etc.

Just my 2 cents worth. Feel free to comment guys!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 14-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Barclays cuts costs, slashes 3700 jobs - 13 Feb top news on Today

http://www.todayonline.com/sites/def..._PM_merged.pdf


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you have low basic and high bonus, it would be good to negotiate from a total package point of view.

Lets say I earn $5k a month now and bonus for the last 3 years average at 6 months. I would say I need annually at least $90k + X% increment from job change to be motivated to move.

You should ask their HR whats the average bonus is like in Barcap, and work your fixed monthly from there. Say if its only 1 month average and lets say you want X% to be 20%, then its 1.2X90/13 = $8.3k per month fixed or $100k per annum fixed.

In this case, overall you will be better off. Do not allow HR to just discount your high variable bonuses. You must factor them in and use average 3 years or so to make a credible case that this variable bonus is in a way part of your current package.

Of coz the discussion is fluid, but the principle that you must not be worst off overall and can see a decent jump to join.

What is decent is really up to you, the market conditions, what is and how far are you from market rate, etc.

Just my 2 cents worth. Feel free to comment guys!
Thanks for your great advice!

Does anyone have any intel on Barcap's package for back office VP? $160K per annum (i suppose its base + allowance only) appears kinda low??
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for your great advice!

Does anyone have any intel on Barcap's package for back office VP? $160K per annum (i suppose its base + allowance only) appears kinda low??
Most back office VP in Barcap basic should be $220 - $280k. $160k maybe is newly promoted junior VP or external hire of a lower level candidate from outside.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 14-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Most back office VP in Barcap basic should be $220 - $280k. $160k maybe is newly promoted junior VP or external hire of a lower level candidate from outside.
Wow! Thats hella lot of difference. Perhaps I should reconsider this offer...

Not sure how much 'bargaining' power a candidate has especially since they have such a strong global brand name that there'll be many who'll apply for their positions.

Any other views?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 19-03-2013, 06:27 AM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 231
cslee is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wow! Thats hella lot of difference. Perhaps I should reconsider this offer...

Not sure how much 'bargaining' power a candidate has especially since they have such a strong global brand name that there'll be many who'll apply for their positions.

Any other views?
At the end of day, did the original poster get real offer or not? Is the handsomeboy went MIA or are you the same guy? Share with us what are you getting and the responsibilities, so that we can help to evaluate.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 20-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I just saw Roberthalf's salary report and there is one for banking and financial sector.

Maybe you can refer to that. Dont just dismiss it if it is too low or too high.

Its a good reference/starting point.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barclays schweini Income and Jobs 170 04-01-2018 08:23 AM
Barclays B5 AVP IT salary range [email protected] Income and Jobs 72 24-07-2013 12:01 AM
Annual leave question tt84 Income and Jobs 1 20-06-2012 05:39 PM
Good title and basic pay vs annual package (Inclusive of performance bonus) Juergen Income and Jobs 20 29-04-2011 04:01 PM
Annual Increment 1nch3r Income and Jobs 0 12-11-2010 12:36 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
386 Replies, 209,631 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
526 Replies, 152,271 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,213 Replies, 6,246,856 Views
SIA Technical Services / Aerospace... ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 9,446 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
181 Replies, 105,610 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,312 Replies, 323,252 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
523 Replies, 18,004 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,028 Replies, 1,899,797 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,044 Replies, 3,364,663 Views
Aircraft Maintenance License and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
646 Replies, 481,803 Views
Career of an ERP consultant
2 Replies, 130 Views
Working in HDB ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
369 Replies, 295,915 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
189 Replies, 54,410 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 3,411 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,126 Replies, 872,955 Views
How much does influencers make...
6 Replies, 750 Views
Where would you invest your money... ( 1 2 3)
28 Replies, 17,200 Views
Third Class Honours/Second Lower... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
43 Replies, 28,341 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,071 Replies, 1,408,874 Views
Covid-related job opportunities... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 959 Views
IRAS salary
3 Replies, 200 Views
Salaries for Tech Product Manager
6 Replies, 2,328 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,572 Replies, 2,123,715 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,704 Replies, 1,061,235 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,136 Replies, 3,951,648 Views
JP Morgan ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
47 Replies, 27,284 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
241 Replies, 39,301 Views
Salary working for SEA FP&A... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 6,825 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,870 Replies, 1,248,799 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2