Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   A*Star (Agency for Science, Technology and Research) (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/2389-star-agency-science-technology-research.html)

kakarukeys 24-01-2013 07:49 AM

I won't do that usually. But some interviewer may just try to deceive you about the market rate salary thinking that you probably haven't done any research. It's you who have to debunk his claim. If he does not hire you, so be it, go look for other gullible.

Unregistered 06-02-2013 10:09 PM

nothing ersamoH

Actually Gov job has its good side too. been working almost 10 years..from lowly paid desktop support to network consultant. Working for different huge US MNC. The monthly pay and benefits are better than Gov jobs but every cent is hard earned. There is no such thing as being paid 8k,9k,10k over 10k a month and can shake leg.

Prepared to worked like a dog. Worked day and night and sometimes weekend. With this kind of pay do not expect not to bring your work back home.Unless you simply dont care. Then you wont progress either. First to go if outlook not good.

In US MNC, you can't retire. You will be kicked out when you reach 40s + . some even younger if department closed down. But Gov jobs wont do that. yes lower paid but if these kind of pay like 4.5k with yucky increment like 50-100 every year till 50+, i think overall you might earn more than in US MNC because the career there isn't that long.

And some people might say well i can save more quicker and used for investment. True but how many can? those who earned 8K above..some driving expensive cars..expensive house.. might save even lesser than those earning 4.5k. so its all talk cock only.

Unregistered 06-02-2013 10:47 PM

speaking as a former a*star scientist - it has its perks. you do get to work with a lot of fun, young people. and among stat boards, a*star pays reasonably ok. my gripe is that they don't really invest in developing and growing their own people. comparatively, a career elsewhere (other stat boards or industry) would have a longer trajectory and more multifaceted. you get to learn more skills.

Unregistered 07-02-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 33080)
speaking as a former a*star scientist - it has its perks. you do get to work with a lot of fun, young people. and among stat boards, a*star pays reasonably ok. my gripe is that they don't really invest in developing and growing their own people. comparatively, a career elsewhere (other stat boards or industry) would have a longer trajectory and more multifaceted. you get to learn more skills.

'' get to work with a lot of fun, young people '' == shake leg tok kok with student researchers in the canteen.

Unregistered 07-02-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 33080)
) would have a longer trajectory and more multifaceted. you get to learn more skills.

simi 'multifaceted' 'trajectory'? the problem with a* people - too many big words and powerpoint presentations, too little actual work done.

boomZ 12-11-2019 08:24 PM

May I ask how much does A*star pays for position as 'Head' in a Corporate group. Non research position.

Relevant 15 years of work experience but non scholar background.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Unregistered 14-11-2019 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomZ (Post 124984)
May I ask how much does A*star pays for position as 'Head' in a Corporate group. Non research position.

Relevant 15 years of work experience but non scholar background.

Any advice will be appreciated.

6k per month. Haha

boomZ 17-11-2019 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 125033)
6k per month. Haha

Wow.. thats quite low for a 'Head'. thanks for info thou.

Any idea for Deputy Directors?

Unregistered 20-11-2019 05:23 PM

Pay is low because there's not much to do there.

It's an open secret that these researchers take a lot of funds but produce little output. Of course, with that said, don't expect much career progression.

Unregistered 13-01-2020 10:10 PM

Got a friend working as a Head, about $8500.00. More than 10 years working experience.

DD should $10K up?

But I dont know head and DD got any difference in benefits?