Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Advice needed for IT field (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2328-advice-needed-field.html)

Help 14-12-2012 01:27 AM

Advice needed for IT field

Hi guys,

Abit new in the IT industry.

Currently doing a comp science deg in "priv uni".
Had info sec working experiences in the past but thinking of moving towards software engineering instead due to interest and perhaps pay.

1. In terms of pay or career advancement, is info sec pay higher/better?

2. Any certifications/intern-ship can recommend to land jobs?

Appreciate your kind advices. :)

Unregistered 15-12-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Help (Post 31561)
2. Any certifications/intern-ship can recommend to land jobs?

Try writing in...

Bosch internship
Bosch - Current vacancies

Daimler internship
Daimler > Careers > Studying > Internship > Internship Worldwide > Asia > Singapore - Daimler South East Asia Pte. Ltd.

Unregistered 16-12-2012 09:12 PM

if you like programming, you can do programming. the pay can easily hit 100,000 a year..

Unregistered 16-12-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31638)
if you like programming, you can do programming. the pay can easily hit 100,000 a year..

Really so good?

Unregistered 17-12-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31642)
Really so good?

No way. I hired programmers before. 5 yr exp, i pay only 2.8k pm. Locals won't do it. I get from vietnam. They're very good. Locals, however, can liase with customers better, and also better at doing solution architecture work. Even then, I only paid them mid 3k plus .

Unregistered 03-01-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31646)
No way. I hired programmers before. 5 yr exp, i pay only 2.8k pm. Locals won't do it. I get from vietnam. They're very good. Locals, however, can liase with customers better, and also better at doing solution architecture work. Even then, I only paid them mid 3k plus .

Local programmers like no hope already..

Unregistered 03-01-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31646)

Bad news: If you're just a normal coder (i.e. follow spec and code), pay won't be good, as you're up against those vietnamese/indians.

Good news: You can communicate better and learn faster than those normal coders. As you gain more expertises in more areas like infras, apps etc, you can move on to enterprise architect (EA) roles that easily command >$100K+. See IDA Infocomm Talent Portal

senior IT professional 03-01-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 32110)
Bad news: If you're just a normal coder (i.e. follow spec and code), pay won't be good, as you're up against those vietnamese/indians.

Good news: You can communicate better and learn faster than those normal coders. As you gain more expertises in more areas like infras, apps etc, you can move on to enterprise architect (EA) roles that easily command >$100K+. See IDA Infocomm Talent Portal

yes, communication skills, selling skills, and people management skills are essential.

deep industry and technical skills are expected, but without the other skills it's difficult to move up to senior roles like sales director, IT director and program director which pays $200K-$400K.

Unregistered 04-02-2013 02:48 PM

Hello!

You could also consider looking at startups for your internship, especially since there is a dearth of software engineering talent in Singapore now. Try PSDPY | Startup Jobs

Lithan Hall Academy also has a programme where they place you at an early stage startup for 12 months with regular salary, while giving you the opportunity to pursue a diploma in technopreneurship.

Do check it out: Wanted: Entrepreneurial Talents

Hope this helps!

Unregistered 06-02-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 32093)
Local programmers like no hope already..

Exactly, I worked with a few indian/sri lanka phd students, their programming is so bloody efficient i duno how to kp...

and programmers are paid like 2k(firmware c, c++,) 3k(c++, java, js, php), 4k(ror, sql, joomla/drupal) locals.

Indian programmers take 700lesser, and they are probably a lot better.