Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Barclays B5 AVP IT salary range

Old 27-12-2012, 09:06 PM

Tracker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You are assuming that only sinkies are active in this forum. My guess is that a good percentage reading this is likely to be the beloved cheaper, faster and supposedly better FTs who are trying to fish out the target renumeration :-)

Going back to the question on different payscales for different nationalities, dont think Barclays is a SMRT :-). As far as i know, if you are a perm employee, they will pay according to your experience and skillset and not based on your colour.In fact as i know, even the non singaporean perm staff gets the same maternity benefits as the locals (5 months!)
Lets be realistic, Barclays is a British firm they don't really care about Sinkies, all they care about is profit lines. They were lucky during 08 they were not as exposed as other banks otherwise the entire operation in SG would have shut down liao.

They are in the midst of some pretty large scale outsourcing, wanna survive in this industry have to learn how to play the game.

I see so many mid 20's ops people just do their work day in day out, when kanna retrench because they made no kang tao in the industry all they can do is hope to somehow find a way back in. Or go home play computer games until that happens (I am not kidding I was surprise when they told me that)

Old 27-12-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee View Post
This statement is fair enough. The problem is unfair playing ground. I once posted a relatively junior IT position that attracted lots of pinoys/Indians and some locals.

Example:
Typical FT's CV = CCIE (advanced qualifications), MSc from some Indian Uni. Many years in MNCs or Wipro, multi-million dollar projects
Typical local's CV = CCNA (entry qualification), 1-2 years in small local firms, small project exp, local grad with no good honors.

On paper, the FT is far superior than local. But is it really true? We are too honest to compete against those who play flout. Why - too much at stake for locals if exposed in small island here. For non-local? at most pack bags go home, re-use tactics and try on next potential employers again next time - maybe europe or US.
Come to think of it most people I train from Wipro as fresh grads get sent by Wipro over a 3 years span to London and US to train (and Singapore). Within 3 years they're resume already looks prettier then mine lol

Old 27-12-2012, 09:27 PM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
Come to think of it most people I train from Wipro as fresh grads get sent by Wipro over a 3 years span to London and US to train (and Singapore). Within 3 years they're resume already looks prettier then mine lol
Anyone can claim to have worked for clients in US, Australia, Canada, UK, and so on. How true is all this experience? One could have worked in Australia for 2 months and in India for 22 months. Now he claims to have worked in Australia for 1 year and the US for 1 year - all while being employed by Wipro. How can anyone verify all this?

Old 27-12-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Anyone can claim to have worked for clients in US, Australia, Canada, UK, and so on. How true is all this experience? One could have worked in Australia for 2 months and in India for 22 months. Now he claims to have worked in Australia for 1 year and the US for 1 year - all while being employed by Wipro. How can anyone verify all this?
That's a good question. Okay it sort of works like this

Say I took one freshie and trained him in a specialty of the firm, for argument sake I will use something generic like FX reconciliation. So I trained this guy in Singapore when I moved the SG operations being competent he soon runs a small part of the team. Word gets around the organization that this guy is competent and he gets moved to another account by Wipro but serving the same client, it helps especially if the new account is in nursery stage and they need someone who grasp things fast to impress the customer of the new account. Usually training takes place in the host country so if the new account is in the US or London they the person may fly there for training, this goes on and on. Sometimes when shortage of talented staff hits that region they may also fly the person from India to the location for cover (happens)

Hard to describe the full picture but the above is just a small gist of it, I know one guy posted to UK to train for 1 month. 1 year later he got a perm job in UK only because he had that UK short stint.

Validation can be done via the client company and also Wipro who both were aware the person was in that country at the time.

Not to mention these guys move from account to account, in 3 years maybe 2 - 4 accounts pending on circumstance.
Old 28-12-2012, 01:19 PM

cslee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's a good question. Okay it sort of works like this

Say I took one freshie and trained him in a specialty of the firm, for argument sake I will use something generic like FX reconciliation. So I trained this guy in Singapore when I moved the SG operations being competent he soon runs a small part of the team. Word gets around the organization that this guy is competent and he gets moved to another account by Wipro but serving the same client, it helps especially if the new account is in nursery stage and they need someone who grasp things fast to impress the customer of the new account. Usually training takes place in the host country so if the new account is in the US or London they the person may fly there for training, this goes on and on. Sometimes when shortage of talented staff hits that region they may also fly the person from India to the location for cover (happens)

Hard to describe the full picture but the above is just a small gist of it, I know one guy posted to UK to train for 1 month. 1 year later he got a perm job in UK only because he had that UK short stint.

Validation can be done via the client company and also Wipro who both were aware the person was in that country at the time.

Not to mention these guys move from account to account, in 3 years maybe 2 - 4 accounts pending on circumstance.
Tracker - you seem to know so much about Wipro. How are you related to them? Or you part of the FT group?
Old 28-12-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee View Post
Tracker - you seem to know so much about Wipro. How are you related to them? Or you part of the FT group?
Hahahaha no lah

My unit was one of the first few to be outsourced in a project now commonly known as BPO, we must be the first BPO project Wipro has taken on because when we got there the BPO building wasn't completed yet lol

Anyway my firm ask me to stay in India for oversight, spent about 7 Months in Chennai and 8 Months in Andhra Pradesh working with Infosys and Wipro respectively. (Employed by Main bank to work with the vendors)

We always had issues with the management swapping the best staff on our account with crappier guys, their process I more or less know how it works.

Either way didn't care too much, nothing personal just go in get job done collect money.

Barclays now is outsourcing their operation and also looking for people to go India for long term assignment, its a good opportunity for many to get an experience they will not otherwise get in SG. Unfortunately many staff (even the Filipinos) dare not take up the assignment. Quite a pity.

That's why if one really wanna stay in this industry of operations etc really must broaden horizon to stay in the game

Old 30-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Rashmi

Quote:
Hahahaha no lah

My unit was one of the first few to be outsourced in a project now commonly known as BPO, we must be the first BPO project Wipro has taken on because when we got there the BPO building wasn't completed yet lol

Anyway my firm ask me to stay in India for oversight, spent about 7 Months in Chennai and 8 Months in Andhra Pradesh working with Infosys and Wipro respectively. (Employed by Main bank to work with the vendors)

We always had issues with the management swapping the best staff on our account with crappier guys, their process I more or less know how it works.

Either way didn't care too much, nothing personal just go in get job done collect money.

Barclays now is outsourcing their operation and also looking for people to go India for long term assignment, its a good opportunity for many to get an experience they will not otherwise get in SG. Unfortunately many staff (even the Filipinos) dare not take up the assignment. Quite a pity.

That's why if one really wanna stay in this industry of operations etc really must broaden horizon to stay in the game
I know many of the FT who have done nothing but backoffice work, answering some phonecalls, etc. When it comes to crafting their CV, they spin tall tales about working with big banks in the US, UK, etc. No way to check anything except the fact that they were employed with Wipro. If you contact Wipro, they will refuse to confirm or deny anything about their current employees. Really difficult to do background checks about projects worked on, etc. What do you say?
Old 30-12-2012, 05:51 PM
pansy

After reading so many post with so many conflicting information, I think people here are just pulling info from limited exp or give super generic statement and obviously know little about the Barclays BO IT AVP (B5) job.

Can I appeal to those who reply that unless you really personally know specifically about the particular job in the company, please refrain from giving opinion base on hearsay or some other job or company you have experience and present as if it is the truth? Some might be trying to help, but honestly all this half bake info just end up confusing and make it worse.

If you dun really know & still want to contribute, at least label clearly this is just your opinion and not hard facts. This will reduce confusion and help people better.

Thanks in advance.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 30-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pansy View Post
After reading so many post with so many conflicting information, I think people here are just pulling info from limited exp or give super generic statement and obviously know little about the Barclays BO IT AVP (B5) job.

Can I appeal to those who reply that unless you really personally know specifically about the particular job in the company, please refrain from giving opinion base on hearsay or some other job or company you have experience and present as if it is the truth? Some might be trying to help, but honestly all this half bake info just end up confusing and make it worse.

If you dun really know & still want to contribute, at least label clearly this is just your opinion and not hard facts. This will reduce confusion and help people better.

Thanks in advance.
+1 sapork but imo no hope one. online always have people act clever say until like expert & know everything. only way to know pay is to negotiate and see if you can get it.
Old 30-12-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashmi View Post
I know many of the FT who have done nothing but backoffice work, answering some phonecalls, etc. When it comes to crafting their CV, they spin tall tales about working with big banks in the US, UK, etc. No way to check anything except the fact that they were employed with Wipro. If you contact Wipro, they will refuse to confirm or deny anything about their current employees. Really difficult to do background checks about projects worked on, etc. What do you say?
From what I've experience what the Indian chaps do is they will use someone like myself as a reference for their credentials. Usually if they worked overseas for say UBS,BOA,ML in training they will have a trainer or a manager working for the bank they report to and that will be their reference point. I've got a few phone calls from my India staff requesting to use me as reference and have also received calls from other banks verifying this.

Look mate, you seem quite doubtful about many things. I'm just telling you as it is, its not really rocket science to work this out. Sure some too make out tall tales of their work career, if the hiring company spots it and pulls them out so be it, but if they don't they life goes on.

There are also other methods of Wipro staff crossing over from Wipro to actual MNC local firms to work in off shoring initiatives known as captive before moving to apply for overseas job using Wipro/captive work as reference. Generally the hiring company will just verify the latest job posting and take the job history as it is, if it was a captive operation then they will be verifying with the MNC themselves (Barclays, UBS, Merrill etc)

There are so many crossovers in India, we also pinch staff from Wipro if we knew of talented people we wanted by double or tripling their salary. Needless to say very high turnover.