Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Whats an acceptable pay increment to ask for , new job, new co (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2295-whats-acceptable-pay-increment-ask-new-job-new-co.html)

Watson 26-11-2012 05:30 PM

Whats an acceptable pay increment to ask for , new job, new co

I just completed a few rounds of interview and new company offered less than 5% increment from current package. Im rather disappointed and offended, esp since I was poached for the new post.
Is this cos, next yr will be a bad yr? I stated 15% increment as my expectations and find this very fair. In the 1st yr at a company, I assume there may not be any increment, so anything less than 15%, I would rather stay in my current co.
I do not hate my current co/job, new job is similiar to what I do, smaller company only.

Unregistered 26-11-2012 06:09 PM

depends on what line you are in.

I got screwed when I moved about a year ago. It was mid-year, the company offered me just about 15% more than my last drawn but when year end came I had no increment and 1 month bonus.

My total comp for the year was lesser than if I had stayed the full year back at my previous firm.

They can give you 15% on joining... but screw u up in the end anyways

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 30914)
I just completed a few rounds of interview and new company offered less than 5% increment from current package. Im rather disappointed and offended, esp since I was poached for the new post.
Is this cos, next yr will be a bad yr? I stated 15% increment as my expectations and find this very fair. In the 1st yr at a company, I assume there may not be any increment, so anything less than 15%, I would rather stay in my current co.
I do not hate my current co/job, new job is similiar to what I do, smaller company only.

Unregistered 26-11-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 30914)

that means you were not poached, you are just 1 of the many people they target and offer hoping that someone will be stupid enough to accept at the end of the day.

Unregistered 26-11-2012 08:27 PM

watson again

New company is promising a 4mths bonus, this Inc 1 mth aws. Either way, how can such a promise be valid and justified? Bonus is a variable. No promise and at the end of the day, how much I get is only a bonus should be considered unpredictable.

Interview went very well, but I m disappointed the offer is so miserly.

I should just stay in my current and look out for better opportunities next yr?
How's the job market?
I'm in the engineering sales line

icy water 26-11-2012 10:25 PM

Do you think you can get 15% increment if you stay with the current company? With the economy on the edge of a technical recession, you better consider more matters like how well a company is doing financially and whether their fiscal strategies are sound if possible. A smaller company giving a 5% higher salary could very well be gambling that the benefits an employee can bring is worth much more than his salary.

Unregistered 27-11-2012 04:46 AM

all companies want to cut hiring budget as much as possible. you want 15% increment? no problem. no bonus, aws, promotion, benefits, increment for you. on the other hand, if your drawn pay is slighly lower than the rest, increment, promotion, bonus can be increased. too many people are engrossed with monthly figures that they fail to check out the other shortfalls.

Watson 27-11-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30947)
all companies want to cut hiring budget as much as possible. you want 15% increment? no problem. no bonus, aws, promotion, benefits, increment for you. on the other hand, if your drawn pay is slighly lower than the rest, increment, promotion, bonus can be increased. too many people are engrossed with monthly figures that they fail to check out the other shortfalls.

I did my homework on the new co, its financially sound and doing better then my current company.
But...
My current company has more potential to hit 3 to 4k more than what I am drawing now. Why I say so. I know for the level I am at now in my current company the ceiling is close to 10k. Possible a few more salary bands at the current level I am at. single digit growth, and possibly stagnant for 2013.

With the new company, they are doing well, with double digit growth every quater, this can be found in its fiscal report since they are listed. though they are only a 1/4 size of company compared to my current, they are looking to expand in the region. But I doubt it offers way more at the level I will be hired. also for my salary negotiation, of course I negotiate based on ANNUAL, not monthly.
Negotiated based on the annual offer. $XXX XXX

Unregistered 27-11-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 30962)
I did my homework on the new co, its financially sound and doing better then my current company.
But...
My current company has more potential to hit 3 to 4k more than what I am drawing now. Why I say so. I know for the level I am at now in my current company the ceiling is close to 10k. Possible a few more salary bands at the current level I am at. single digit growth, and possibly stagnant for 2013.

With the new company, they are doing well, with double digit growth every quater, this can be found in its fiscal report since they are listed. though they are only a 1/4 size of company compared to my current, they are looking to expand in the region. But I doubt it offers way more at the level I will be hired. also for my salary negotiation, of course I negotiate based on ANNUAL, not monthly.
Negotiated based on the annual offer. $XXX XXX

Using a company's annual report as indication of pay potential is a bad idea. Salary bands and company profitability growth are seldom tied together. Strange but true.

The fact that this company is willing to insult you by low balling only a 4+% means they are either tight budget, dont really care about quality and just want cheapest sucker to accept or the role is much lower level than what they tell you.

Whatever the case, they see you much smaller than you think you are worth. Any company that has the cheek to put up so little upfront I wont even bother to negotiate further. It has a not serious label written all over it.

poor and stupid 27-11-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 30963)
Using a company's annual report as indication of pay potential is a bad idea. Salary bands and company profitability growth are seldom tied together. Strange but true.

The fact that this company is willing to insult you by low balling only a 4+% means they are either tight budget, dont really care about quality and just want cheapest sucker to accept or the role is much lower level than what they tell you.

Whatever the case, they see you much smaller than you think you are worth. Any company that has the cheek to put up so little upfront I wont even bother to negotiate further. It has a not serious label written all over it.

This is a sign of "stinginess", and if u join them, you will be stingy-ed FOREVER!!! muhahahaha

usually for low level jobs increment for job hop should be 25% at least, mid level 20%, otherwise its just not worth the risk of changing your stable comfortable rice bowl

Watson 27-11-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poor and stupid (Post 30967)
This is a sign of "stinginess", and if u join them, you will be stingy-ed FOREVER!!! muhahahaha

usually for low level jobs increment for job hop should be 25% at least, mid level 20%, otherwise its just not worth the risk of changing your stable comfortable rice bowl

Haha.. yes, thats what I thought, if they only offer so little an increment, I should be offended and also see this as a sign, they are stingy. I asked for 15%, which I feel is reasonable to take up the risk of a new environment