Anyone jobless for a long time before? - Page 159 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 29-03-2017, 02:47 PM
Unregistered

Yes, drive Grab or Uber if nothing comes close.

Don't be despaired, better to earn some money then nothing.

I believe Singaporean is geared to depend on themselves instead of government handout.

So we would work on anything when hardship comes, whether collect newspaper, delivery, driver, etc.

Nothing to be ashamed as better to laze around, cheat, steal....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi guys, I have been applying jobs that I desire since last year November but was not shortlisted for any interviews yet.

I am currently working under 1 year contract with one of the stat board here doing compliance/audit related roles. (Due in June)

Lets just stay positive and keep trying!

worse come to worse, apply to work as grab/uber driver first?

Old 19-06-2017, 12:34 PM
Unregistered

Default Finance ops analyst / accountant

Hi All, my company is currently hiring finance and accounting students due to constant expansion and turn over rate as well. Do contact us if u would like to apply as the company policy seems to at least shortlist the candidate for an interview if they are being referred by current employee.

Start pay: 3000/mth, salary adj every 6months depending on performance

We try to help refer graduates who are interested in the role as the company give referral fees if we actually refer them suitable candidates (they dont have to source and filter for candidates).

Just some info to let u have a better idea of the people working here.
Quite a handful of fresh grad start working at this co. From the people i know in the co., most are:
- Ntu Graduates
- Smu Graduates
- SIM UOL Graduates with Second Upper Class Honours & Above
- SIM RMIT Graduates with Distinction

Any queries can email us at alaricwoon@gmail .com or u can forward your resume to us, we will send to our HR Team and CC-ed you in the email to follow up!

Old 21-06-2017, 07:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Final year undergraduate here with first class grades, but anyone has any idea if its possible to find a job, but I received a police warning letter before in 2011 for something stupid, but there is no criminal record, no charges nor convictions. Simply just a warning. Can anyone please advise.

Thanks in advance
no probs, should be fine. First class grades are in demand but still lack of industry experience.

if you are waiting for jobs, why not learn industry specific skills like SAP ?
It will get you close to the big consulting firms, Accenture, Deloitte, PWC , etc

google clear advantage training school, offering SAP courses ( in demand skill set ) , have an open mind and decide

good luck young person!

Old 28-06-2017, 11:08 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy Don't Quit Without First Getting a Job

Quote:
i think the market didn't turned better but worse. so many unemployed outside. If u intends to quit without a job, please dun.

my contract was not renewed. sigh - will be out of job soon again. 43 this year.

saving can only tong for 9 mths the most.
I quit a reasonably 'well' paying but stressful job with a stat board due to health + politics in Nov16. Till now, am still jobless. Not a single response to my job applications, be it perm or contract. I was offered a 6 months contract with potential to extend to 1 year immediately after i quit from my last job. But turned down offer as i prefer to concentrate on looking for a permanent job. Sigh...i hv been unemployed for 8 months already. 50 this year
Old 01-08-2017, 08:46 PM

Davionk is on a distinguished road
Default Unemployed at 29

Background
Currently, 29 with 4 years work exp, last held Solution Sales role (infrastructure power), perm stationed in an ASEAN emerging market for 3 years, business grad (private U). Last drawn 48K SGD++ PA excluding soft benefits. Able to save about 50-60% income PM due to low living costs and 0 debt.

Resigned and returned to SG due to,

1) Income tax hike in host country meant staying no longer tenable.
2) Importantly, lack of training opportunities (host country do not have courses taught in English)

Difficult to seek SG roles from overseas unless one is physically here for interviews.

As my former role has few openings, decided on a switch to IT sales (30% relevance). I'm pragmatic and willing to take a pay cut, sending 7-10 tailored applications per week (including entry-level roles) with no success.

Currently surviving on my savings, occasional small income from freelance work (advisory work/drafting project proposals) for ex-clients. Enrolled myself in night classes at a polytechnic as I'm keen to learn and acquire foundation knowledge in systems networking.

Feeling rather depressed as I'm unable to secure full-time work since returning home.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davionk View Post
Background
Currently, 29 with 4 years work exp, last held Solution Sales role (infrastructure power), perm stationed in an ASEAN emerging market for 3 years, business grad (private U). Last drawn 48K SGD++ PA excluding soft benefits. Able to save about 50-60% income PM due to low living costs and 0 debt.

Resigned and returned to SG due to,

1) Income tax hike in host country meant staying no longer tenable.
2) Importantly, lack of training opportunities (host country do not have courses taught in English)

Difficult to seek SG roles from overseas unless one is physically here for interviews.

As my former role has few openings, decided on a switch to IT sales (30% relevance). I'm pragmatic and willing to take a pay cut, sending 7-10 tailored applications per week (including entry-level roles) with no success.

Currently surviving on my savings, occasional small income from freelance work (advisory work/drafting project proposals) for ex-clients. Enrolled myself in night classes at a polytechnic as I'm keen to learn and acquire foundation knowledge in systems networking.

Feeling rather depressed as I'm unable to secure full-time work since returning home.
Hard lah, if no relevant experience co. will just consider you as fresh grad somemore private U I think can hit 30k p.a. already not bad. Also now job market not good, you should have done homework first before quitting rashly just because got tax increase.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:45 PM

Davionk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hard lah, if no relevant experience co. will just consider you as fresh grad somemore private U I think can hit 30k p.a. already not bad. Also now job market not good, you should have done homework first before quitting rashly just because got tax increase.
Actually, I had offers to remain overseas (another emerging market), similar industry and role, good pay. However, long-term, I may face difficulty coming back as there is no market for my kind of work in SG.

Thinking to bite the bullet now, make the switch rather than wait till 30s, ride through this period, re-skill and keep trying.

Living conditions and security in developing countries are not fantastic, just saying!
Old 01-08-2017, 11:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Actually, I had offers to remain overseas (another emerging market), similar industry and role, good pay. However, long-term, I may face difficulty coming back as there is no market for my kind of work in SG.

Thinking to bite the bullet now, make the switch rather than wait till 30s, ride through this period, re-skill and keep trying.

Living conditions and security in developing countries are not fantastic, just saying!
In theory yes, but then there is a place and time for everything. Quitting your job & coming back at a time when the local job market is bleak knowing full well you have no relevant experience as a job applicant doesn't strike me as wise.

Anyway since you are back say too much also no use lah, just have to keep applying lor. For pte U no relevant exp can get 30k already quite good. If doing entry sales might need to adjust downwards as these jobs are usually very low basic and depend on incentive to top up.

If you got Class 3 start getting the necessary certification for PVH driver, at least can dong a bit until you get a proper job.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:08 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Haha if I were you I will make enough overseas first then come back slowly take my time to look for jobs. Agree with top post, start doing the paper work for UG driver to standby first, I dont think it will be that easy to find a job here (at least 3-6 months from my exp). Although SG overall unemployment rate is low, the real number for entry level young adults is actually very high due to lack of exp and skillset.

There are also various contract jobs in the IT and banking sector that pay quite well (high 2k+) as long as you dont mind the hours and subject to renewal.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:44 PM
Unregistered

How is the job market for financial services now?