Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 21-06-2016, 09:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I disagree with the above comments. Isn't pride, dignity, integrity, happiness, treasuring & enjoying your life the most important thing in life? What's the point of a job when you already lost both yourself and your life? the money is not able to compensate what you have loss.
A hungry stomach trumps all.

Old 21-06-2016, 10:04 PM
Unregistered

Copied this from the web somewhere......

Whether you like Bill Gates or not…this is pretty
cool. Here’s some advice Bill Gates recently dished out
at a high school speech about 11 things they did not
learn in school. He talks about how feel-good,
politically correct teaching has created a full
generation of kids with no concept of reality and how
this concept sets them up for failure in the real
world.

RULE 1
Life is not fair – get used to it.

RULE 2
The world won’t care about your self-esteem. The world
will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel
good about yourself.

RULE 3
You will NOT make 40 thousand dollars a year right out
of high school. You won’t be a vice president with
car phone, until you earn both.

RULE 4
If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a
boss. He doesn’t have tenure.

RULE 5
Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your
grandparents had a different word for burger flipping
they
called it Opportunity.

RULE 6
If you mess up,it’s not your parents’ fault, so don’t
whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

RULE 7
Before you were born, your parents weren’t as boring as
they are now. They got that way from paying your bills,
cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about
how cool you are. So before you save the rain forest
from the parasites of your parent’s generation, try
delousing the closet in your own room.

RULE 8
Your school may have done away with winners and losers,
but life has not. In some schools they have abolished
failing grades and they’ll give you as many times as
you want to get the right answer. This doesn’t bear the
slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

RULE 9
Life is not divided into semesters. You don’t get
summers off and very few employers are interested in
helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.

RULE 10
Television is NOT real life. In real life people
actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

RULE 11
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you’ll end up working for
one.

Quote:
I disagree with the above comments. Isn't pride, dignity, integrity, happiness, treasuring & enjoying your life the most important thing in life? What's the point of a job when you already lost both yourself and your life? the money is not able to compensate what you have loss.

Old 21-06-2016, 10:26 PM
Pooty

Default Quit after 2 years

Let me share my story.
Previously, I worked in ministry (Perm Staff; MX12). I tahan my work for past 2 years and broke down a few times due to stress from work. It always peak from Jan to Dec without a break. I dont have time for any course etc.
Because of the nature of our work, there was high turnover rate. I kept covering from one person to the other till I was mentally exhausted. I couldnt sleep well for the past 6 months and I realise that it should put to a stop.
I had a bunch of nice colleagues. They were my pillar to allow me continue this job for 2 years.
I searched for jobs past 6 months and finally got a new job in Stat Board (2 years contract). Salary increment isnt much but the salary ceiling is lower than Ministry. I dont know whether I make the right choice because the prospects seem bleak (2 years contract mah!).
I thought that I could have easier life in Stat Board, but I am still as busy! Haiz

So, please hang it on!

Old 21-06-2016, 11:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooty View Post
Let me share my story.
Previously, I worked in ministry (Perm Staff; MX12). I tahan my work for past 2 years and broke down a few times due to stress from work. It always peak from Jan to Dec without a break. I dont have time for any course etc.
Because of the nature of our work, there was high turnover rate. I kept covering from one person to the other till I was mentally exhausted. I couldnt sleep well for the past 6 months and I realise that it should put to a stop.
I had a bunch of nice colleagues. They were my pillar to allow me continue this job for 2 years.
I searched for jobs past 6 months and finally got a new job in Stat Board (2 years contract). Salary increment isnt much but the salary ceiling is lower than Ministry. I dont know whether I make the right choice because the prospects seem bleak (2 years contract mah!).
I thought that I could have easier life in Stat Board, but I am still as busy! Haiz

So, please hang it on!
This can only work if you are single and uncommitted. Try going jobless for 6 months with a house, family and kids then get a contract job ever at risk of being not renewed, I don't think its workable unless your parents are rich.
Old 22-06-2016, 07:46 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Let me share my story.

So, please hang it on!
Morning,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Hope u will get converted to Perm staff before your contract ends.

May i know which Ministry or which sector does it serves (i.e. social or security or central admin)?
Old 22-06-2016, 10:23 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Let me share my story.

So, please hang it on!
thank my lucky stars.

i had joined a ministry after graduation, there was a lot of firefighting back in those days due to understaff and a lot of new projects keep coming up. many of my colleagues decided to throw in the towel and transfer to other ministry or go to private sector. i held on all the way like a baptism through fire.

thankfully superiors recognised my dedication, once the mess was cleared up and budget was up they were able to start hiring in more staff, i was fast tracked up 2 grades in 3 years to lead the department, now waiting for the jump to superscale which my superior told me will be happening in the next 2 years as he is also due for a move elsewhere.

hoping to get my superscale before 40 as i only have 2 years left.

Old 22-06-2016, 10:29 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
When you are in your 40s, you will realise that you really need to put down your 'pride, dignity, integrity, happiness' just to secure a job to get income to feed yourself and your family.

You are still in your dreamland. It is time to wake up early or else you will be slap awake by reality.

Speaking from experience.
Old 22-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
When you are in your 40s, you will realise that you really need to put down your 'pride, dignity, integrity, happiness' just to secure a job to get income to feed yourself and your family.

You are still in your dreamland. It is time to wake up early or else you will be slap awake by reality.

the fella wants pride, dignity blah blah? don't work then. work as a whole is the complete opposite of what he so desperately seeks.
Old 22-06-2016, 12:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

That guy is probably some 20 year old guy fresh out of NS and starting uni. He still thinks life is a bed of roses and working world is like school. Let him get a rude awakening 4 years later when he gradutes.
Old 22-06-2016, 12:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
That guy is probably some 20 year old guy fresh out of NS and starting uni. He still thinks life is a bed of roses and working world is like school. Let him get a rude awakening 4 years later when he gradutes.
He is warranted to say what he said if his parents are rich, he has a condo bought in his name by his parents, he has a trust fund paying out a few thousand to his bank account a month.

There are some people like that. Yes, life is unfair. But hey, you can be happy regardless, whether you have rich parents or not.