Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 13-11-2014, 07:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sent countless applications since May earlier this year, only got FIVE interviews, and ZERO offers from those interviews. I think I'm really too honest during interviews...I can't stand smoking and saying things that you know and interviewer also know is smoke.

Also for some interviews go there then find out job scope very different from what was advertised on the jd. Don't know why companies do this, it's wasting everyone's time.

Thinking of going back to study one year masters to open more avenues to fields I have interest in, but money, social pressure concerns are stopping me.
Don't give up easily .... just keep trying and you will find one surely.

Old 13-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Bunpire402

Smile

I've been jobless since Sept after completing my MBA & resigning from my perm part-time job. Been sending countless resumes/CV and applying CS/SB jobs but either there was no reply or application was rejected. I even seek a lower position plus lower my salary expectation for less than $2k just to land a part-time or temp job to tide me over but to no avail. Partly maybe due to me being highly overqualified as mentioned by one of the recruiters at a recruitment agency.

Thankfully, I just received a call today for a temp job at a SB this Dec. Although pay was not that high since I was classify as a dip holder but I am thankful as I really need it desperately & take it as a learning experience for me to enter CS/SB.Hopefully, my dream of getting into CS/SB will materialize after I have started this job.

My advice is do not despair and just keep on trying no matter how long it takes!!! Remember, a winner never quit and a quitter never win.

Old 14-11-2014, 11:03 AM

aplover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpire402 View Post
I've been jobless since Sept after completing my MBA & resigning from my perm part-time job. Been sending countless resumes/CV and applying CS/SB jobs but either there was no reply or application was rejected. I even seek a lower position plus lower my salary expectation for less than $2k just to land a part-time or temp job to tide me over but to no avail. Partly maybe due to me being highly overqualified as mentioned by one of the recruiters at a recruitment agency.

Thankfully, I just received a call today for a temp job at a SB this Dec. Although pay was not that high since I was classify as a dip holder but I am thankful as I really need it desperately & take it as a learning experience for me to enter CS/SB.Hopefully, my dream of getting into CS/SB will materialize after I have started this job.

My advice is do not despair and just keep on trying no matter how long it takes!!! Remember, a winner never quit and a quitter never win.
i hope you also realise your MBA is worthless. Not to be funny to suan you or what. But if you are in such a situation even after graduating with an MBA, you really did waste your time with the MBA.

Anyway, climb on and all the best

Old 14-11-2014, 12:51 PM
Unregistered

A brief summary of my jobless experience. I learnt a lot through the way, and hope I can share with those who are currently jobless and fretting over getting a job.

I was "considered" jobless since May. Didn't manage to get a suitable job until recently, I had 3 job offers all at one shot. No job offer also headache. Now got offer also headache. Imagine, you are so thankful that they are going to give u a job, but on the other hand, you have to disappoint the others while you settle for one that gives you the driving force to work for long period of time.

I landed myself in 2 sales jobs during this period. The problem with sales job is that the income is always fluctuating. You must not hear all the successful stories of being a sales person. I can tell you its really rare. Maybe once in a while kind, or you really work until no day no night. Even before you sleep you still thinking about how you can close your deals tomorrow.

I quit on the first one because I had no control over how I can find new leads. For the 2nd job, there were constant discrepencies in my payslip.

Sales job very easy to get. Very hard to maintain. if you are looking for sales job, you should not fret over interview. Its whether you want or don't want to do. For those who are going for normal salaried worker, interviews are the ones that are hard to get past.

I'm definitely not the best, but I read many books, going to share some thoughts for interviews. Hope it helps.

Thinking as an interviewer
It doesn't matter what you going to say, what matters is how comfortable the interviewer feels with you at the end of the day.

Put yourself in their shoes. You are meeting this person for the first time in your life. You are as anxious as them. Many failed the interview because they cannot assure you that they can work well with you. Countless had been hired and you realised they are after all not the best candidates to work with. It doesn't matter what he/she has done previously, you are just concerned whether you feel comfortable with this candidate coming.

Questions for you as a candidate to think now
1. Is there a need to tell them who you worked for in this past half a year if its just a short time?
2. Is there a need for you to express your deepest emotional thoughts?
3. Have you put yourself in their shoes, and give them an answer that will make them feel comfortable with you?

Qualities that many companies are looking for
1. Eager to learn candidate
2. Candidates who have goals in their lives
3. Candidates who are absolutely clear in what they are going to do in future. This JD doesn't matter, what matters is how they are going to make use of this JD to propel them to their goals.
4. Candidates who show teamwork, communication skills, and better, leadership skills.

Some learning points I made for myself and for you
1. An enthusiastic learner shows that you can be groomed over time and reassures interviewers that you will stay in the job for a substantial period.

You are eager to learn whatever things that comes to you, isn't it? As long as opportunity comes, I'm sure everyone wants to learn new things and start fresh. Now come up with a reason why you feel this job best suits you in your learning. Describe to them the magnitude of your learning capacity in this area. It need not be entirely fake. It can be something that you are now working towards to. Tell them frankly if you are still working on it, that will further impress them and it shows teachability on your side as well.

2. People who does not have goals during an interview is most likely to dislike the job.

Who doesn't have goals? If you do not have one, think of it before going for interview. Make it as relevant to you as possible. In fact, you may find it odd why some people fake them. Its not entire fake though. But if you go in without this 'goal' that you have formulated in your head, how sure are you that you will sustain in this industry? Even if they hire you, you are not going to like the job, because you will be giving the job a 'probation' to show u what kind of goals they can provide you. Who knows, you may quit again for another job!

3. Candidates that show clear direction gives an image boost to everyone around and urges people around them to help achieve it together.

Clear direction is what makes you attractive. You tell the interviewer how you are going to plan your life 3-5 years ahead. If they ask you what happens after 5 years, just tell them 'we cannot foresee so far ahead when there are already huge plans going on in this coming 5 years'. They can understand. Even if your direction is somewhat not similar to the job described, there must be a way for you to link it beautifully so that this job can help you in achieving that goal. (If not why you apply, right?) If there are other job openings that better fits your career path, i'm sure interviewer may even offer you them as well.

4. Keep your emotional judgement and personal problems to yourself. Your image determines how composed you are in your work!

There's no need to show emotional thoughts about your previous jobs or what you are going through in your life. They are uninterested in that. maybe they will empathise with you at that point of time, but it doesn't show professionalism on your side. There are candidates that say I got parents to feed, I got family to feed, I need to start a family etc. I can tell you interviewers are totally not interested in your pathetic life you have painted. Keep your emotions and whine about it to your wall at home. Put on your most professional image and show them you can manage all the things in your life well. Some interviewers may trap candidates by asking them to expose some of these things in your life. Just tell them its private, and they need not worry about it. Thank them for their concerns as well.

Interviewers may trap you by asking 'what do you feel... how will you feel...' reply them by relating the problem to the upper management! Don't make decisions on the spot. It will only tend to show more negative traits about yourself, even if your position is a decision maker role. Always seek advises in the team, even if you have no experiences in doing that before. Rashful decisions and judgement during an interview will only minus marks on your side. Do not say "I don't know", these words should never appear in an interview.

5. job hoppers are no-no to hiring process. Being too frank will land you back to your PC surfing jobs portal all over again.

You need not tell them you have 3 weeks experiences, 2 months experiences blah blah. They are not a show-off. It shows you are incapable of managing your goals, no matter how much previously you told them how clear you are in your life. If asked what happened in the huge empty gap, just tell them honestly you are doing self-improvement, going for a holiday, seeking friends opinion on jobs pertaining to the related industry you are applying for. If they still insist on why so long, you just tell them the longer the gap, the clearer it shows how determined you are when sending that resume to them. Yes, sometimes its really BS. But if this BS work, why not? They will not penalise you even if they find it untrue after a while! Most probably they will go 'walao, you bluff me ah...' and you can shake it off by treating them to a buffet dinner after work.

Of course, there are many other tips you can find online. These are my takeaways during job hunting. I hope it can help many of you out there sincerely looking for job. If there are any add ons, just add to them. Let's share our knowledge together to make our employability higher!
Old 17-11-2014, 12:37 PM
Unregistered

Default ttedIM company

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplover View Post
i hope you also realise your MBA is worthless. Not to be funny to suan you or what. But if you are in such a situation even after graduating with an MBA, you really did waste your time with the MBA.

Anyway, climb on and all the best
I don't quite agree with you. Not many people have what it takes to go through an MBA programme.
Old 17-11-2014, 03:14 PM

lfl is on a distinguished road

I was jobless for 4 months and only just secured a job last month. I am someone who is very goal oriented so that wait was truly horrible for me. The only thing that saved me from going nuts was my family who didn't pressure at all and kept encouraging me. I truly feel for those of you who may facing incessant questioning at home.Try to find at least one person who roots for you and only you and not for any potential income you bring.

As for interviews...I truly cannot understand how employers work. I could have sworn I bungled up both my interviews for my current job. I left the interview room convinced that the interviewers did not like me. Yet I got called for a second interview and finally got the job. My take-away is that sometimes it's really about how the stars align themselves. Maybe the people they really wanted did not take the offer or maybe I did better than I thought. God knows. The main thing I took away during the 2 weeks wait after the second interview was to just do what you can and always look forward.

Old 20-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Just suck it up and take the sales job so you won't have a blank period in your resume. You can look for a job while you work.

Sales is also good experience to have and you should give it a shot before you reject it.
Thanks for the advice but i already rejected the telesales job,So still finding full time job now.
Old 20-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sent countless applications since May earlier this year, only got FIVE interviews, and ZERO offers from those interviews. I think I'm really too honest during interviews...I can't stand smoking and saying things that you know and interviewer also know is smoke.

Also for some interviews go there then find out job scope very different from what was advertised on the jd. Don't know why companies do this, it's wasting everyone's time.

Thinking of going back to study one year masters to open more avenues to fields I have interest in, but money, social pressure concerns are stopping me.

Me too, i am in same situation as you, unemployed since Sep 5, but my resume written as since aug 3 though. due to my second job that i quit that i only work for 3 weeks.

my previous diploma skill set is rusty due to 2 years never use. I want to find job related to my diploma also difficult ,could not cope, my skill sets in my 2 years of job is also not much and not really very specific in-depth learning. like just touching surface of the water. I also considering whether to go back to study one year of WSQ certified diploma in other fields before going back to work, but now i have not much money so i can't do it also.

Now no choice need to keep on finding for job to able to at least work 2 years to earn enough in order to go back to study and to support one year of no job during the study period.

So still unemployed now, same as you.
Old 20-11-2014, 01:42 PM

aplover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't quite agree with you. Not many people have what it takes to go through an MBA programme.
I agree with what you stated about not many people have what i t takes to go through an MBA programme. I for sure cannot go through school again. I felt i was wasting time learning rubbish courses where only 20-30% of the courses i did during my undergrad days were really useful. The rest was painful to go through and hard to score. I never was really book smart.

But the key topic here is whether a MBA will truly lift your career. There are numerous articles and studies available online stating the value of a MBA is not as high as it used to be some 20yrs ago. It costs more relative to an avg income earner and the value gained isn't there. Whatsmore MBA courses are tough for sure but reputation of the institution matters more than intensity and difficulty of the MBA. This is what many people fail to realise when they drop a couple tens of thousands on a MBA or masters programme. An avg passer from a top tier ivy league university will have more career uplifting boost compared to someone who studied in a much lesser known institution and got best student award.

There are situations where a MBA might be more justifiable like someone seeking to change industry to the finance/consulting line etc when his/her primary degree was totally not related to this. Sure thing, but in most cases, the costs and opportunity costs do not justify the returns.
Old 20-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Unregistered

Not all MBAs are made the same, although sadly the costs of pursuing them arent that much different - high.

You have to really weigh the benefit of getting that MBA - for those funding their own studies.

Usually companies will sponsor their "potential leaders" for the high powered MBA courses eg at Stanford, Insead, Sloan etc...

For people funding their own MBAs, not many will get any career boost from their MBA. I have a few colleagues who paid their own way only to not use their new "knowledge" and "skill" and also no promotion at all. They tried to console themselves by saying that the money spent (above $20K) was not the issue, the issue was the time spent slogging over assignments and case studies - all to no avail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplover View Post
I agree with what you stated about not many people have what i t takes to go through an MBA programme. I for sure cannot go through school again. I felt i was wasting time learning rubbish courses where only 20-30% of the courses i did during my undergrad days were really useful. The rest was painful to go through and hard to score. I never was really book smart.

But the key topic here is whether a MBA will truly lift your career. There are numerous articles and studies available online stating the value of a MBA is not as high as it used to be some 20yrs ago. It costs more relative to an avg income earner and the value gained isn't there. Whatsmore MBA courses are tough for sure but reputation of the institution matters more than intensity and difficulty of the MBA. This is what many people fail to realise when they drop a couple tens of thousands on a MBA or masters programme. An avg passer from a top tier ivy league university will have more career uplifting boost compared to someone who studied in a much lesser known institution and got best student award.

There are situations where a MBA might be more justifiable like someone seeking to change industry to the finance/consulting line etc when his/her primary degree was totally not related to this. Sure thing, but in most cases, the costs and opportunity costs do not justify the returns.