Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 25-08-2014, 11:52 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by floralpeace View Post
Told the truth before they no happy with answer.
Ask if I did find out what went wrong during selection process.

And another time hr ask dun u think ur jobsearch abit too long.
The most impt thing is what were you doing during that 6 mths gap. What were you doing ?

Old 25-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by floralpeace View Post
I have been telling truth for ard 10 interviews
Recently 2 to 3 I cook lies
None offered.
It must be the way you answer them. Interviewers sometimes ask stupid questions. They mostly want to see how you answer and see where your mindset goes. I believe you have always been giving them a hack care impression, ie. I am not that interested in the post and can do without this job. If you attended 10 interviews and can't get a job, reflect upon yourself, where you have gone wrong, instead of cracking your head thinking how to create a fool proof lie. It doesn't work. They are not stupid.

Old 29-08-2014, 03:18 AM

eatsleepdaze is on a distinguished road

I'm glad, thought only a handful of unfortunates (including me) who's been jobless for quite some time, seem like a lot of people are going through the same thing. Yet I'm disappointed at the situation, did not think that the recruitment rates are so low.

A little intro: I finished my PT BSc Info and Comm Tech at UniSIM in Jun, convocation will be in Oct. So trying to land a job in ICT as for now. Going for a interview later in the afternoon at NCS for a contract position, saw from forums that the company is sh*t, but can be a good stepping stone. But if they will consider me, guess I will take it.

My bf (in engineering) also experienced the same thing, he had more than 4 years experience from 2 companies. But each time due to politics and management, he quit. Thus, he ended up almost jobless for 8 months with plenty of rejections until he landed on a contractual job. He sent about 300 resumes altogether but only got called for interviews less than 10 times. So I guess the morale of the story is to not give up!

Last edited by eatsleepdaze; 29-08-2014 at 03:21 AM.
Old 29-08-2014, 10:14 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepdaze View Post
My bf (in engineering) also experienced the same thing, he had more than 4 years experience from 2 companies. But each time due to politics and management, he quit. Thus, he ended up almost jobless for 8 months with plenty of rejections until he landed on a contractual job. He sent about 300 resumes altogether but only got called for interviews less than 10 times. So I guess the morale of the story is to not give up!
Try not to quit before securing another perm job, for the sake of having a stable income. Otherwise, be prepared to face the possibility of months of painful rejections.
Old 29-08-2014, 02:33 PM

floralpeace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepdaze View Post
I'm glad, thought only a handful of unfortunates (including me) who's been jobless for quite some time, seem like a lot of people are going through the same thing. Yet I'm disappointed at the situation, did not think that the recruitment rates are so low.

A little intro: I finished my PT BSc Info and Comm Tech at UniSIM in Jun, convocation will be in Oct. So trying to land a job in ICT as for now. Going for a interview later in the afternoon at NCS for a contract position, saw from forums that the company is sh*t, but can be a good stepping stone. But if they will consider me, guess I will take it.

Hi wanted to ask the interview in which he was offered how did he explain leaving without a job n hving 8 months gap?
Old 01-09-2014, 11:37 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Seriously, I don't think that degree (SIM-UOL - BSc Banking and Finance) is useless as you mentioned.
my bro.. UOL banking.. grad 2012. earning 98k per annum. he is insurance agent.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I graduated from NUS in 1997 and have been gainfully employed for the past 17 years.
I am moving into my early 40s and decided to take 6mths to 1 year break at this point before continuing my next lap of working journey towards 60 years old.

Would society be so unforgiving to scrutinize my break at mid-career?

I hate to give explanations despite it being a planned rest schedule.
unless you're a woman. then I think is fine to take 6mth to 1 yr. eg, pregnancy/taking care of family.

if you're a man, don't think many companies will believe you purely want a long break. reality will often make them think that you have been retrenched.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 01-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Unregistered

I got a friend who have handicap issue. He is top scorer in a local U but is jobless for 1.3 years. every week, he sent more than 20 resumes. for that jobless 1.3 years, he sent more than 300 resumes but only went for interview 4 times. he is a honest chap, putting his medical condition in the resume. but his condition, isn't one that will prevent his productivity at work, too bad that hirer are bias in their own way. he cried many times, not waiting to go out with friends fearing the extra need to spend money. he went to MP for help, but useless.

finally, his perseverance pays off. now he is employed happily even though his pay are not as good as compared to a local U graduate. he has since been in the job for 1 year and going to Europe for job advance training a week later.

so... never says die.

good luck to all of you.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
my bro.. UOL banking.. grad 2012. earning 98k per annum. he is insurance agent.
Insurance agent can really make alot of money if you chiong sua. No need degree also can be a very very good insurance agent. As long as you can grow thick skin as persuade your family and friends to buy insurance with you. Really need alot of perseverance.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I got a friend who have handicap issue. He is top scorer in a local U but is jobless for 1.3 years. every week, he sent more than 20 resumes. for that jobless 1.3 years, he sent more than 300 resumes but only went for interview 4 times. he is a honest chap, putting his medical condition in the resume. but his condition, isn't one that will prevent his productivity at work, too bad that hirer are bias in their own way. he cried many times, not waiting to go out with friends fearing the extra need to spend money. he went to MP for help, but useless.

finally, his perseverance pays off. now he is employed happily even though his pay are not as good as compared to a local U graduate. he has since been in the job for 1 year and going to Europe for job advance training a week later.

so... never says die.

good luck to all of you.
Why didnt he just stay in academia? Take Phd, become professor. First class grads can get direct into PhD programs quite easily.