Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 12-08-2014, 12:12 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Some industries really need ppl. For e.g., f&b, retail or contact center but would you ever wan to get in ? Nowadays, firms are smart enough to filter out who trying luck and who really have the interest to work for them for long.

btw i just accepted an offer after jobless for seven months. Luckily pay offer is much higher than my previous pay. The advice is never quit a job first if haven found a new job, unless no choice.
Hey, congrats to u. Can I ask how do u explain for the 7 months unemployment gap during interviews? I always face this problem of explaining it during interviews. And may I ask if u got a job in government or private sector? Cos I wonder if government sectors are anal about unemployment gaps.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hey, congrats to u. Can I ask how do u explain for the 7 months unemployment gap during interviews? I always face this problem of explaining it during interviews. And may I ask if u got a job in government or private sector? Cos I wonder if government sectors are anal about unemployment gaps.
Govt or GLCs like to ask qns like " how long you been unemployed?" "why you never find jobs" " what you been doing during these 7 months". I believe they put unemployment gaps into one of the factors for determining your ability. But the gaps are partly because of their draggy decisions during interview process? Why need 1 or 2 months to decide who the candidates are?

Thanks for the congratulation. Ya, these final 2 weeks will be my happiest weeks that I can really enjoy myself before I fully focus on my next phase of career in a top tier foreign bank doing compliance related.

My situation quite different. I resigned because I went to pursue postgrad dip in local uni. Had to quit because of the schedule clash. Take it as a gamble because the course itself is what I always want and my degree was actually 3rd class hons which no one in govt sector actually intend to hire since mostly need either good honours degree or good degree. Ya, my pay now is gonna 60% higher than the previous one.

I went for several interviews in govt or GLCs such as IDA, MOM, AVA, surbana, singhealth, aic etc since I first graduated 3 years ago and I failed everywhere. Even MFA was an option at that time even i did not want to work overseas.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Govt or GLCs like to ask qns like " how long you been unemployed?" "why you never find jobs" " what you been doing during these 7 months". I believe they put unemployment gaps into one of the factors for determining your ability. But the gaps are partly because of their draggy decisions during interview process? Why need 1 or 2 months to decide who the candidates are?

Thanks for the congratulation. Ya, these final 2 weeks will be my happiest weeks that I can really enjoy myself before I fully focus on my next phase of career in a top tier foreign bank doing compliance related.

My situation quite different. I resigned because I went to pursue postgrad dip in local uni. Had to quit because of the schedule clash. Take it as a gamble because the course itself is what I always want and my degree was actually 3rd class hons which no one in govt sector actually intend to hire since mostly need either good honours degree or good degree. Ya, my pay now is gonna 60% higher than the previous one.

I went for several interviews in govt or GLCs such as IDA, MOM, AVA, surbana, singhealth, aic etc since I first graduated 3 years ago and I failed everywhere. Even MFA was an option at that time even i did not want to work overseas.
Exactly. Part of the reason for unemployment gaps is cos of the slow hiring process in government bodies.

At least ur reason is valid. Cos u went to take up further studies.

Old 13-08-2014, 12:44 PM
Unregistered

Oh ****, I have been terminated. Asked to leave the same day. Now I am jobless. Don't like the ex job anyway. Can't click with the colleagues, bosses talk like tweety birds, you have to listen hard to know what they are talking about. Some colleagues like to micro manage. On my side, I lost interest in the job, documents pile up like a mountain, lazy stunts all come out, on MC for 2 days during probation.
Old 13-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Oh ****, I have been terminated. Asked to leave the same day. Now I am jobless. Don't like the ex job anyway. Can't click with the colleagues, bosses talk like tweety birds, you have to listen hard to know what they are talking about. Some colleagues like to micro manage. On my side, I lost interest in the job, documents pile up like a mountain, lazy stunts all come out, on MC for 2 days during probation.
Oh dear. What's the reason the company gave for terminating u?
Old 13-08-2014, 04:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Oh dear. What's the reason the company gave for terminating u?
Feedback from the bosses cos I am assisting 2 bosses. Aiyah, they talk like tweety bird and you need to strain your ears to hear what they say. Not saying I am perfect, I make mistakes too but then if you can't give proper instruction and assume ppl can hear your whispers, how to work like that. The hr keep asking me got anything to say,, I say no lo. Say anything also like that. Don't know the next person who go replace me will have the same 'grievance' or not.

Frankly speaking, I feel both relieved and depressed, cos relieve that I can go after 3 months, no need to drag and depressed cos no new job yet.

Old 13-08-2014, 04:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Feedback from the bosses cos I am assisting 2 bosses. Aiyah, they talk like tweety bird and you need to strain your ears to hear what they say. Not saying I am perfect, I make mistakes too but then if you can't give proper instruction and assume ppl can hear your whispers, how to work like that. The hr keep asking me got anything to say,, I say no lo. Say anything also like that. Don't know the next person who go replace me will have the same 'grievance' or not.

Frankly speaking, I feel both relieved and depressed, cos relieve that I can go after 3 months, no need to drag and depressed cos no new job yet.
How old are u? And what's ur educational qualification? Degree or diploma?
Old 13-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
How old are u? And what's ur educational qualification? Degree or diploma?
38 years old and diploma
Old 14-08-2014, 02:19 PM

floralpeace is on a distinguished road

Guys how to justify a 6 months gap after quitting without a job?

If they ask when did u start looking for job I would nd to say just recently right?

Den they will ask wad u did during the 6 months.. if I say I tk on part time den they will ask y u keave without job.
If I say take course when I nv take will they ask for verification onot?

The gap is v hard to explain!!!

Last edited by floralpeace; 14-08-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 14-08-2014, 02:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by floralpeace View Post
Guys how to justify a 6 months gap after quitting without a job?

If they ask when did u start looking for job I would nd to say just recently right?

Den they will ask wad u did during the 6 months.. if I say I tk on part time den they will ask y u keave without job.
If I say take course when I nv take will they ask for verification onot?

The gap is v hard to explain!!!
Better not to lie and say that u take course. Cos they will check. And if they check that u are lying, u won't even stand a chance at all.

I wonder if it's ok to just speak the truth. Just tell them that u have started applying jobs a while ago and are now waiting.