Anyone jobless for a long time before? - Page 62 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 06-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Unregistered

Don't be a slave to other people. Be a man. If I were you, I will just leave and be a man. I would venture out of my own to create the next big thing.

I had the same experience. I quit and am now happily doing my own things. I am a free man. To me money no longer can give me happiness. There is so much to life than money.

I quit when I was 53. I sold my condo and bought a flat and I have money to live by. I don't fancy big houses and big cars any more. I no longer have a big ego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I like the mean to get paid while I hunt for another job.

I am in a similar predicament. A bit different. I have been with my company for years. In the last year or so, this boss that I am reporting to seems to have some issues with me or maybe I have stepped on his toes unknowingly. We use to work quite well as a team. He tries to ostracize me and ignore my emails. Good thing I have built up quite a reputation in my company that he needs to think twice to get rid of me. Hence, he is employing th tactics of cold storage and tries to make me frustrated so that I will leave on my own accord. I am talking to a few other companies but somehow, I want to stay on and slug it out. Any advice?

Old 06-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I like the mean to get paid while I hunt for another job.

I am in a similar predicament. A bit different. I have been with my company for years. In the last year or so, this boss that I am reporting to seems to have some issues with me or maybe I have stepped on his toes unknowingly. We use to work quite well as a team. He tries to ostracize me and ignore my emails. Good thing I have built up quite a reputation in my company that he needs to think twice to get rid of me. Hence, he is employing th tactics of cold storage and tries to make me frustrated so that I will leave on my own accord. I am talking to a few other companies but somehow, I want to stay on and slug it out. Any advice?
Do u like ur current job scope? Are the other companies u are talking to offering similar job? If u like the work, then if I were u, I would just stay to piss him off and leave once I secure the new job, try not to let the boss bother u too much. It seems easier to find another job while u still have a job, if it's still bearable then keep going, it wld probably benefit u more.

If he's really nasty to the point it's affecting you badly and making you really unhappy then leave I guess, is it also possible to complain about his behavior to another superior in the company?

Old 06-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Don't be a slave to other people. Be a man. If I were you, I will just leave and be a man. I would venture out of my own to create the next big thing.

I had the same experience. I quit and am now happily doing my own things. I am a free man. To me money no longer can give me happiness. There is so much to life than money.

I quit when I was 53. I sold my condo and bought a flat and I have money to live by. I don't fancy big houses and big cars any more. I no longer have a big ego.
I like to but I can't bear to forego the paycheck. I don't have big ego too. I just want to make an honest living. It seems like I might have become a threat to him, I don't know for sure if that is the case.

I have thought of venturing out but I am not sure where to start.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Do u like ur current job scope? Are the other companies u are talking to offering similar job? If u like the work, then if I were u, I would just stay to piss him off and leave once I secure the new job, try not to let the boss bother u too much. It seems easier to find another job while u still have a job, if it's still bearable then keep going, it wld probably benefit u more.

If he's really nasty to the point it's affecting you badly and making you really unhappy then leave I guess, is it also possible to complain about his behavior to another superior in the company?
I like the work and the other companies have simliar roles for me as well. It is still bearable for now but I felt so useless some times. As times go by, I felt more and more disconnected from others because I am not kept in the loop. I felt that there is no future for me. I guess that's the psychological approach that he is deploying. I know he has done this to a few before.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I like the work and the other companies have simliar roles for me as well. It is still bearable for now but I felt so useless some times. As times go by, I felt more and more disconnected from others because I am not kept in the loop. I felt that there is no future for me. I guess that's the psychological approach that he is deploying. I know he has done this to a few before.
Bear it for a while more and leave when you get another job or have enough savings to venture out on ur own. I feel useless in my current role as well, not kept in the loop, and it really isnt a place for me..i'm disconnected from my colleagues, the work is not related to my field at all, dont really know why they even hire me..but at least my boss isnt nasty, i have quite a lot of freedom. Just think of it as u're there to lead to better things later on, u're doing something useful by staying --> getting paycheck which u could use later on for ur own ventures? or getting another job?
Old 06-08-2014, 05:55 PM
SOD

Quote:
Suggested tactic:

Step 1: Do nothing internally, but start updating your CV, broaden your contacts with recruitment agents and go for preliminary interviews with other companies

Step 2: Once you have a few positions you are actively in various stages of interview and you feel at least 60% chance of getting something, start to play internal politics, report the superior, look for other senior backers, feedback to HR etc. All the while continue with your interviews.

It is important to minimize the risk and have some confidence in securing a job outside before you take internal actions as playing the internal game against your boss is much more risky. You want some backup in case you fail and get sacked / told to resign.

Step 3: Hopefully you will be in a position to choose from external offers or be successful in changing your internal situation.

BIG NO NO

#1: Do not quite without a job.

#2: Do not venture into starting business just because of this. This is a recipe for failure. You go into business because you identify a profitable opportunity, not out of boredom and lethargy from being employed.

#3: Do not make rash decision to join anyone that offer you. Evaluate the company and job scope carefully. You are not an unemployed guy desperate for a job, make use of that & take your time to find an offer you are comfortable.

#4: Do not tell anyone at work no matter how close of your plans, there is no such thing as secret in the workplace.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:36 AM
Unregistered

I agree fully with #1 and #2. Wise advice not to be so impulsive.

But as for #3, I guess if a person is so fed up with his current employer, then it's also just as well to apply for any job that he can qualify for, then get out first, as fast as possible. This is better for mental health! Applying to many many jobs also means better chance of securing one and getting out of current situation quickly.

#4 very true. In fact, don't tell anyone at work or even update your social media status etc. until a month or more after new job is secure.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:39 AM

in3deep is on a distinguished road

so depressing

to have finished all the interviews and to be told position is put on hold cause of some reorg

Old 07-08-2014, 09:03 AM
Unregistered

Any fresh graduates from 2014 still unable to find jobs?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Unregistered

Dont listen to that kind of frivolous advise. He is 53 and is not likely to get employed to his old position / salary level again. He may think that he has no more ego, but in actual case, circumstances have forced him to swallow his pride and to settle for what he is doing now. Even to the extent of downgrading from his condo.

Everyone dreams of being their own boss, but not everyone can be one. While we cant be our own boss, we can work hard, save, invest and grow our wealth to feel like a boss.

A person can follow 4 career paths:

1. Be an employee
2. Be a sole proprietor eg dentist, GP, accountant, consultant, tuition teacher etc.
3. Be an investor
4 Be a businness owner

If you are good at something and really passionate about it, you can and probably do well as a sole proprietor. Being a business owner is out for most of us ordinary folks especially when starting out.

Being an employee is what most of us will start off as and likely to end our working life as one as well. But it is not all gloom and doom being an employee. When gainfully employed, we must strive to save and invest as much as we can. You will be pleasantly surprised what time can do to constant, and persistent savings and investments.

For my case, I have stocks of 30 companies and each financial year closing, I get annual reports from these 30 companies that gave me a sense of being a "boss". I am not craving to be a boss, but I can imagine what this can do for those who want to be bosses. Besides the annual reports, I get to attend AGMs and question the management teams of the companies. Why be a boss? The best part, is the dividends that rolled in !

It is important to do a bit of soul searching and see which category you are suited for. For most of us, it is to be an employee.

Quote:
I like to but I can't bear to forego the paycheck. I don't have big ego too. I just want to make an honest living. It seems like I might have become a threat to him, I don't know for sure if that is the case.

I have thought of venturing out but I am not sure where to start.