Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 18-03-2013, 01:28 PM

bryanteh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i'm the person who wrote earlier about being out of work for 18 months.

Yes i agree as a mid career professional more time is needed since I was in that shoe at the age of 36 and being forced out of work in the civil service. Its also true that work in the ministry is different from the pte sector and to the HR in pte ltd, it means you cannot plug and play the same way as putting DVD in recorder without any help instructions. So they will use nice words such as You do not have that X-factor and blar blar blar... having been in HR before I know the kind of "excuses" HR will give.

Yes i agree with another earlier post about when to resign as timing is important. Generally more ppl will leave after getting their bonus. But for mid career you wouldnt want to leave during mid year because that's when supply is always alot more due to graduates graduating. Also for ppl who are fed up with your job, they will still try to endure for mid year bonus and perhaps performance bonus and then endure some more till year end for AWS.

Speaking about timing, statistics always not the truth. Isnt stats say 2012 have low unemployment figures? Why then there are so many ppl didnt get job offers? The year of the dragon hasnt been kind to many people out of work.

Just like the previous writer who got 3 offers in 2013, i finally had my perm job offer in 2013. Though it was a 25% pay cut, i am glad someone is willing to give me a chance to switch to a new career. I hope there are more "end to the tunnel" for all those mid career ppl who are still searching for a job.
Ya bro, would appreciate if you could share which field you changed to. Mind sharing what things did you change etc cv, that eventually helps you gets the job? I myself also in this situation. 28 this year and had been doing customer service/sales role for the past 5 years. after gotten my degree 1.5 years ago started to look for jobs in the back office/middle office but after sending hundreds of resume, not even 1 interview. Really feel like giving up and dunno what can I do hope that bros/sis here can give some advice.

Old 18-03-2013, 01:50 PM

jobhunter1234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanteh View Post
Ya bro, would appreciate if you could share which field you changed to. Mind sharing what things did you change etc cv, that eventually helps you gets the job? I myself also in this situation. 28 this year and had been doing customer service/sales role for the past 5 years. after gotten my degree 1.5 years ago started to look for jobs in the back office/middle office but after sending hundreds of resume, not even 1 interview. Really feel like giving up and dunno what can I do hope that bros/sis here can give some advice.
Care to share your qualification? i.e. where is your degree from and your hons class.

Customer service/sales role no good? I think you have already acquired quite some experience considering you have working in that line for 5 years. Can ask for better salary..

Old 18-03-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobhunter1234 View Post
Care to share your qualification? i.e. where is your degree from and your hons class.

Customer service/sales role no good? I think you have already acquired quite some experience considering you have working in that line for 5 years. Can ask for better salary..
I'll be glad to, I grad in 2011 July with a bsc in finance from Unisim, non Hon but with a GPA of 3.76/5. Well I never really like those roles because I just don't like jobs that involved me stroking other's ego. I thought that having a degree would be different and I can start having options for position but apparently that's not the case. Pay was never a major prob, it's not really about the pay but more of the jobscope. Has been looking for treasury functions for the longest time (even sme) but still no luck. Everyone wants exp but never want to train so I dunno if I am ever gonna get a job.

Old 18-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'll be glad to, I grad in 2011 July with a bsc in finance from Unisim, non Hon but with a GPA of 3.76/5. Well I never really like those roles because I just don't like jobs that involved me stroking other's ego. I thought that having a degree would be different and I can start having options for position but apparently that's not the case. Pay was never a major prob, it's not really about the pay but more of the jobscope. Has been looking for treasury functions for the longest time (even sme) but still no luck. Everyone wants exp but never want to train so I dunno if I am ever gonna get a job.
Hi bryan. Considering your degree, I've to be honest with you that it is indeed not really attractive. Definitely you are aware that there are other better local unis around with many more other graduates being jobless as well. They might even have far better GPAs than urs to speak. But on the bright side, unisim is recognized deg by the public sector and your exp might well propel you to a better position and job scope in the public sector. You might wanna consider applying
Old 18-03-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Hi bryan. Considering your degree, I've to be honest with you that it is indeed not really attractive. Definitely you are aware that there are other better local unis around with many more other graduates being jobless as well. They might even have far better GPAs than urs to speak. But on the bright side, unisim is recognized deg by the public sector and your exp might well propel you to a better position and job scope in the public sector. You might wanna consider applying
Hey bro thanks for your insight and encouraging words. I do recognize this prob that's why I felt the future is really dim for me. What I cannot understand is I do have a certain form of experience, as I've work with corporate customer before and helped them, infact I think I have very good insights on how bank works and could value add to the company as they negotiate with bank for prices or services. Just dunno why I'm not chosen, not even for interview.... I did try to apply to various public sector job but as usual, always got rejected/no reply
Old 18-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hey bro thanks for your insight and encouraging words. I do recognize this prob that's why I felt the future is really dim for me. What I cannot understand is I do have a certain form of experience, as I've work with corporate customer before and helped them, infact I think I have very good insights on how bank works and could value add to the company as they negotiate with bank for prices or services. Just dunno why I'm not chosen, not even for interview.... I did try to apply to various public sector job but as usual, always got rejected/no reply
Hi bro. Dun be disheartened and just keep trying. It could have been competition from other applicants. You know public sector has no lack of applicants except for those uniformed positions. I think if you apply through gov.sg, you can see the application status and if no one contacted you after 1 month from the application dateline..you can simply consider that as a failed application. For some other stat boards, they would only call the shortlisted few.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:19 PM

yelangrelive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi, I'm in my mid 40s, unemployed since Sep 12. I have two children (JC/Sec) to support. I have been in contracts for many years. Difficult to get back to perm jobs due to employer biasness. With age, it's worst. Hoping for a miracle, hope to find a suitable perm job by Mar13. Otherwise, am dead.
Hi all
After looking at the whole thread, I am thinking whether i am luckier or worse.

So here is my story.
Qualification: Diploma
Family Commitment: 3 room HDB, a 6 years old son

1st job: Civil Servant for 5 years
Salary: $2800
Reasons for leaving: Politics and policy

2nd Job: a specailised language interpreter for 2 years (niche market in singapore)
Salary: $2500
Reasons for leaving: Politics and progressions

3rd Job: Property Executive in charge of 7 to 10 buildings for 1 years
Salary: $2700
Reasons for leaving: long working hours and huge work loads, always have night meeting

4th Job: Direct Salary in a outsource sales and marketing company for a charity for 6 months
Salary: Commission based (less than $1000 in a month) .
Reasons for leaving: Not achieving sales target

5th Job: Sales Executive for a printing company for 1 week
Salary: Basic ($1000) + High Commission
Reasons for leaving: Find a job with Basic pay with my intern company

6th Job: Field Officer for a year
Salary: $1800
Reasons for leaving (which is now): Taking a risk in a no basic but high commission job

Part time job: Part Time Distributor for one ISP (never cheong much, in a month can have 1 sale as the lowest, the highest will be 47 sales)
Salary: Full commission with passive income every month (lowest

Leaving my 6th Job to focus on the part time distributor for ISP
Looking for people who are sharing the same interest with me to team up.
Salary: Full Commission (Aiming at $5k a month if i work hard enough)

All these are my career history, I realised that i am was job hopping for the past 10 years, but only now i realised that my interest and forte is in Sales especially IT Sales.

Some of my current colleagues are asking me why i am leaving my job when the econ is so bad and turning worse. I told them that my character is inclined towards sales and working for myself.

So i do not know whether I am lucky or worse.

P.S. To those who are jobless now and want to try something now or those who are looking for a job to tide over this period of time, if you are interested, maybe i have something that can help you for the time being. PM me.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
i'm the person who wrote earlier about being out of work for 18 months.

Yes i agree as a mid career professional more time is needed since I was in that shoe at the age of 36 and being forced out of work in the civil service. Its also true that work in the ministry is different from the pte sector and to the HR in pte ltd, it means you cannot plug and play the same way as putting DVD in recorder without any help instructions. So they will use nice words such as You do not have that X-factor and blar blar blar... having been in HR before I know the kind of "excuses" HR will give.

Yes i agree with another earlier post about when to resign as timing is important. Generally more ppl will leave after getting their bonus. But for mid career you wouldnt want to leave during mid year because that's when supply is always alot more due to graduates graduating. Also for ppl who are fed up with your job, they will still try to endure for mid year bonus and perhaps performance bonus and then endure some more till year end for AWS.

Speaking about timing, statistics always not the truth. Isnt stats say 2012 have low unemployment figures? Why then there are so many ppl didnt get job offers? The year of the dragon hasnt been kind to many people out of work.

Just like the previous writer who got 3 offers in 2013, i finally had my perm job offer in 2013. Though it was a 25% pay cut, i am glad someone is willing to give me a chance to switch to a new career. I hope there are more "end to the tunnel" for all those mid career ppl who are still searching for a job.
Hi, I am in early 40s. Tired of politics and losing sight of my career goal. I want to move on but the paycheck is holding me back. What can I do?

Some says politics is everywhere. Just need to deal with it. But I am not sure if it is worth it. I just want to do my job, as simple as that.

At my age, job is no longer that easy to come by. The risk is too high. Thinking of it, do I need to bear with it for the next 20 years until my retirement?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:44 PM

kindaichi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi, I am in early 40s. Tired of politics and losing sight of my career goal. I want to move on but the paycheck is holding me back. What can I do?

Some says politics is everywhere. Just need to deal with it. But I am not sure if it is worth it. I just want to do my job, as simple as that.

At my age, job is no longer that easy to come by. The risk is too high. Thinking of it, do I need to bear with it for the next 20 years until my retirement?
leave the job if it is making u unhappy... no point doing something that does not make u happy or only the day when the paycheck comes in.. it sucks...

i quit without job offers because i hate the job (actually it's the horrible ppl i have to work with) so much i cannot stand another day in it...

ended up without job for 6 mths but im happier the 6 mths i am without a job than the 9 mths i am in that lousy s**t piece of place with the worst ppl i ever seen in my life...
Old 07-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmaid View Post
since I got back to Singapore last year sept 2011.. I have been looking for job.

so technically, i have been jobless for a year and 3 months... recently got an offer but terms in the employment contract has the following:

a) a wage freeze for 2yrs ie, 2013-2014. for those 2 years, my monthly income will not increase.

b) leave - not allowed to take leave during Christmas, New Year, chinese new year and Easter.

c) I have to cover other staffs' work, I am a paralegal but have to cover other secretaries work.

d) on top of that, I have to make sure I have enough billables to cover my ass.

e) probation period is 4.5months!!!

not sure if I should take this job or give it a miss!
Got job better then no job, take first and start looking for job, once got other job throw letter