Anyone jobless for a long time before? - Page 6 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 18-11-2012, 07:26 PM

cslee is on a distinguished road

Sorry if I'm out of touch. We've been reading news that many employers (SME and MNC) are all complaining not getting enough workers in a labour-tight market in Singapore. If that's the case, why are there so many people out-of-job for so long?

Side note, I've a recruiter friend who told me that construction industry is the most desperate sector for Singaporeans - to the extend they are willing to foot the training and qualifications fees for any committed Singaporeans. Note: not those construction worker level (i.e. in managerial, professional and technician levels).

Old 18-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Unregistered

Default itedcr acres

the truth of the matter is many graduates are jobless.

dont read too much into the papers or statistics. ******** without a sense of reality check

Old 18-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
the truth of the matter is many graduates are jobless.

dont read too much into the papers or statistics. ******** without a sense of reality check
I thought we have almost zero unemployment?

Old 18-11-2012, 09:14 PM

wern is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee View Post
Sorry if I'm out of touch. We've been reading news that many employers (SME and MNC) are all complaining not getting enough workers in a labour-tight market in Singapore. If that's the case, why are there so many people out-of-job for so long?

Side note, I've a recruiter friend who told me that construction industry is the most desperate sector for Singaporeans - to the extend they are willing to foot the training and qualifications fees for any committed Singaporeans. Note: not those construction worker level (i.e. in managerial, professional and technician levels).
Not sure about MNCs but SMEs are the most whiney group of the lot. They've been leeching off cheap graduate FTs for so damn long that when suddenly the tap is cut off, they bitch and moan that Singapore grads are not willing to work for them. Duh when you have graduate salaries starting from $2000 per month who the hell would be willing to work for you? And its not like as if SMEs have any sort of career progression at all. Many of them are family owned and have no intention of grooming you to advance within their organization (because these positions are reserved for sons, grandsons uncles etc). Somemore because of the family nature of their business they treat outsiders/employees working for them worse than their Filipino maids. Expect calls during non-office hrs, weekends asking mundane and sometimes outrageous tasks.

The govt should just bitch slap them all and let the struggling ones die off or merge with similar industries if they really want to survive. The only SMEs that have succeeded in making it big (Yakun, Old Chang kee etc) are the ones that have ditched the "keep it within the family at all costs" mindset and hired properly paid, external talent to help them along.
Old 18-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I thought we have almost zero unemployment?
Maybe you did not study statistics in university.

Unemployment rate is gather through survey or sampling methodology. As you know, there will be some groups of the society who chose not to respond as they are unemployed or for various other reasons. So, how true do you think such reported statistics are?

They are as true as the reason that you use to lie to your boss when you arrive late for work.
Old 18-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wern View Post
Not sure about MNCs but SMEs are the most whiney group of the lot. They've been leeching off cheap graduate FTs for so damn long that when suddenly the tap is cut off, they bitch and moan that Singapore grads are not willing to work for them. Duh when you have graduate salaries starting from $2000 per month who the hell would be willing to work for you? And its not like as if SMEs have any sort of career progression at all. Many of them are family owned and have no intention of grooming you to advance within their organization (because these positions are reserved for sons, grandsons uncles etc). Somemore because of the family nature of their business they treat outsiders/employees working for them worse than their Filipino maids. Expect calls during non-office hrs, weekends asking mundane and sometimes outrageous tasks.

The govt should just bitch slap them all and let the struggling ones die off or merge with similar industries if they really want to survive. The only SMEs that have succeeded in making it big (Yakun, Old Chang kee etc) are the ones that have ditched the "keep it within the family at all costs" mindset and hired properly paid, external talent to help them along.

Truer words have not been spoken. I unreservedly agree with you.

When I graduated from nus, i received this offer from a family firm and guess what?

They said they would pay me 2,300 per month *BUT* only after I have passed their "internal assessments" so I could only get 2,100 as a start. Naturally, I rejected the offer and am now paid 2,700 per month with US MNC.

Old 18-11-2012, 10:57 PM

Tracker is on a distinguished road

Not sure if this helps but this is my experience. Might help for fresh grads but prob not anyone with more then 2 -3 years experience.

When I first started working I had a pretty tough time finding a job (The uni I studied in wasn't fantastic lol) So I took a part time job paying about 600 per month doing filing and stuff for a family friend's company. I would then write a lot of things I did for the firm in my resume and the family friend would back it up (Its wrong but hey I was a fresh grad from a no name uni)

In the meantime I send numerous resumes out, some tricks I learn (not sure if it applies today were)

1. Tailor your resume to suit the company you want to work for, every firm wants something different, independent workers, team players, team leaders etc. I had multiple resumes for various job scope. I cut some experience for some job scopes and emphasis my experience in others.

2. If you really want the job send out a resume and a hard copy of your resume in the mail. A4 copy and print the address on it, this way the HR must read it or physically bin it. Pressing the delete key is all too easy, I know of HR dept that bin some resumes purely because they think the candidate is ugly (go figure)

3. Don't turn the resume's into essays, I've read 10 pagers which really puts people to sleep. Also make sure your cover letter really shines.

4. Also if you get the interview learn to BS abit (not too much), read up on the company history and their culture. Also buy the latest copy of the business times and read the bits which may impact the firms business and turn those into questions during the interview. As the interviewee you would want to know if the company will do well in the future and also if the culture fits you as a person.

But the best thing that gets you in the door is connections, if you know the right people sometimes a simple phone call gets you the interview. After years of working my friends who slogged with me behind the desk and partied after work are now hiring people, temp staff usually and they would send emails out to us (old friends) to see if we want to Kai siao anyone we know for them to hire. Normally if we intro someone they would get a interview at least assuming the resume fits what they are looking for. (At least its one step in the door)

Good luck with the job hunt

Last edited by Tracker; 18-11-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 19-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Unregistered

Yes, connections are important.

One good e.g. - A few years ago I met a friend who said his client had wanted someone with my skillset. After just 2 lunches with this client, I was offered the job, all within the space of just 2 weeks.
Old 19-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
If you are purely looking at the package, yes indeed.

But if you are just passing day by day and not knowing what lies ahead, it is frustrating. This has been on going for 2 years.
hi 250k bro, i am in the same position as you, paid about 300k a year for the last 5 yrs and i am dragging myself to work everyday feeling really meaningless. yes, the pay is good and for the years i can remembered, it help me saved alot for retirement. after being a fifth wheel and a fixed asseted for so long, i beginning to feel really pointless of life.

so people may say it is BS or whatever, but it is the truth, i hope to feel same soul mate here to discuss further how to past time.
Old 19-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Unregistered

Hi guys

I am paid 390,000 per annum and I have nothing to do at work. (inclusive of 6 months bonus)