Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 19-03-2020, 10:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Only had 1 interview this year even though applying jobs everyday. Didnt get that job too.
Me too. Keep going, don't give up. Do better in next interview.

Old 20-03-2020, 09:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Me too. Keep going, don't give up. Do better in next interview.
Thanks. Currently waiting for updates from another job after they asked me to take a test few weeks back. Not sure if they will invite me for interview because my resume is very bad

Old 20-03-2020, 06:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Only had 1 interview this year even though applying jobs everyday. Didnt get that job too.
so poor thing

Old 20-03-2020, 08:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks. Currently waiting for updates from another job after they asked me to take a test few weeks back. Not sure if they will invite me for interview because my resume is very bad
Just a tip, for resume, try to change according to job description, mainly just to get pass the algorithm so that at least the HR person gets to read it.
Old 20-03-2020, 09:19 PM
Unregistered

Wink Improve your resume and employability

Quote:
Hey just a pro tip, try to refine your resume and I recommend using online resume templates from free websites I used to have no luck landing interviews but ever since I refined my resume and used a beautiful template i actually landed like 3x more interviews...I think the career coaches weren't lying when they say your resume must stand out. I used to have the most generic white background blue font microsoft template resume lol looked like ****, so ordinary and visually unappealing.

More importantly, try to choose a template design to best fit the type of industry you're applying for. Joining the IT industry? Pick the one with the coding fonts and colours! There's a whole myriad of templates to choose from so you can choose a more appropriate one for yourself and your prospective employer.

I also refined employment experiences and academic history by fleshing out the main responsibilities and used big terms and euphemisms to make myself look more outstanding.

For example, dont just say you have experience in "customer service" - change it up: FRONTLINE CUSTOMER CARE / RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT / STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT. And what if you're applying for a job in project management? Flesh it out a bit more: PROJECT COORDINATION/PROJECT DELIVERY. These are good tips ya! If need more english help just reply here I will help you refine and beef up your content.

Fast forward today, i'm sitting on 2 offers and have turned down 3 interviews. So yup - resume plays a HUGE part; get past the algorithm and the rest is all yours. Good luck!
Old 22-03-2020, 10:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Same for me. Applied so many but only one called for interview (statboard). Worse thing was during interview i had a good feeling and the interviewers talk like i had a good chance to get to round 2 and even said 'youre doing quite well' (for the interview). Told me to wait a few weeks, after 4 weeks of waiting hopefully no call at all. Around 6 week mark the portal suddenly changed to unsuccessful. Very demoralising and depressing. At the very least they or hr could have sent me an email to reject me within 1 to 2 weeks. I didnt want to call because i didn't want to rush them or make myself look despo. Fact that they called me down for interview means that i was shorlisted from the 1000 applicants, is it so hard to send rejection email to 20 / 30 people? Srsly i curse them with all my heart and hope someday they will be unemployed forever and others will do what they did to me

Old 25-03-2020, 12:22 AM
Unregistered

Cheer up and don't depressed. If ownself dont help ownself, how to move forward till someone willing give chance for the job? I went for 6 interviews and be going for another one tomorrow morning. I encountered many job rejections but still have to pick myself mah. If can't secure any interviews, find ways to improve your resume - detailed and concise format will be good. If can't secure any job offer after interview, recall what was said before and improve from there.
Old 25-03-2020, 02:55 PM
Unregistered

15 interviews and still jobless.. Going to work temp for now... running out of money to eat... Never knew it would be so tough to secure entry level jobs.
Old 26-03-2020, 02:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Same for me. Applied so many but only one called for interview (statboard). Worse thing was during interview i had a good feeling and the interviewers talk like i had a good chance to get to round 2 and even said 'youre doing quite well' (for the interview). Told me to wait a few weeks, after 4 weeks of waiting hopefully no call at all. Around 6 week mark the portal suddenly changed to unsuccessful. Very demoralising and depressing. At the very least they or hr could have sent me an email to reject me within 1 to 2 weeks. I didnt want to call because i didn't want to rush them or make myself look despo. Fact that they called me down for interview means that i was shorlisted from the 1000 applicants, is it so hard to send rejection email to 20 / 30 people? Srsly i curse them with all my heart and hope someday they will be unemployed forever and others will do what they did to me
mind sharing what stat board is it ?
Old 26-03-2020, 06:31 PM
Unregistered

Finally, I’ve landed a job after 3 months of being jobless. Been a silent reader in this thread and words of encouragement by some to others definitely brought a smile to my face when I persevered through. So, I thought I will "Pay It Forward", hopefully, assist anyone here.

I am hoping to share three points of discussion. They are:

1. Change your resume
2. Take charge in interviews
3. Managing your mindset

I will start-off with point number 1. If this kicks off, I will follow up with point number 2 and 3.

1. Change your resume

Part A: Template design

I was one of those guilty of using the standard generic template of white-background and blue fonts with horizontal line across as margins (as mentioned by posting number #2666).

I came across a posting in HWZ forum, the user mentioned how he managed to get the HR department to reply to his job application simply by revamping his resume – colour and design template.

Curious, I googled those fancy resume style and try to imitate them using Microsoft words. I actually did up four different resume templates style – yes four different templates, you heard me right. Once done, I friends to assist me by choosing which resume will they pick based on design alone. We narrowed it down to two.

Part B: Outline and Details

I am going to be honest here, this next part is rather challenging. Afraid not, I will share my knowledge here. I did a research on what will be best to indicate on your resume and some are opinions of my own. Finally, I decided on this skeleton outline.

First Column:
i. Contact – Phone, Email, LinkedIn
ii. Personal Info – D.O.B (this is subjective. I am in the opinion that if you’re young please indicate. If not, remove and use the ‘Work Experience’ section to leverage yourself. I believe, mathematically, the HR team can gauge your age based on your graduation year from school and your work experience timeline – if they choose to.) and nationality (Crucial as HR need to know if you’re require any work pass or not).
iii. Skills – In point form format*. These skills should relate to your work experience. I list down a max of 8 skills.
iv. Technology – In point form format*.
v. Languages – In point form format*.

*A youtxbxr (can’t recall his name; I will need to find this out in my history log), shared out of the most important and crucial tip, which I find it absolutely brilliant. Below is his tip:

"....If you’re one of those who design your resume by indicating a certain level of knowledge to a particular skill, please remove them IMMEDIATELY. For example, Python [7 out of 10 stars]. Imagine a company need to hire a ‘Rock Star’ but once they see a 7 out of 10 stars. They will proceed with the next best candidate.

Here’s the interesting part, what if I tell you that the company definition of ‘Rock Star’ could potentially be you based on the knowledge you have at the moment. If they want to test your knowledge, the company will prepare their own set of questions. So never undermine yourself to begin with!!!...."

Second Column:
i. Professional Summary – Max of 3 sentences.
ii. Work Experience – the standard format, and in point form sentences. No lying for this. I have a 10 months gap which is a definite killer. But I use my interview skillset to overcome it.
iii. Education / Professional Certificates – standard format.

With all those details down (please proof-read) and complete on both resume templates, I randomly select and use either one whenever I apply for jobs.

BAM! I was surprised that there was definitely an increase in replies from HR department. Though sometimes they were rejection email, I was delighted. This actually proves one thing – the new resume templates have opened the door to the HR department.

Moreover, I support posting number #2666, he (I don’t want to gender discriminate. But if you’re a she, let me know and I’ll edit this) advocate the idea of changing to a more fresher and creative resume template will help to land you more job interviews.

He even pushes the envelope by advising to refine key details to a modern and millennial style of phrasing. Quote by him “dont just say you have experience in “customer service” – change it up: FRONTLINE CUSTOMER CARE/ RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT / STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT”.

If you’re still using the old iconic “white-background and blue fonts” template, its time to give them up. I encourage everyone here to 'Change your resume template and details'.

**PS: In all honesty, I believe your resume is a key to unlock the HR department door. For once, put yourself in their shoe and ask yourself, from a whole stack of resume application which will defintely catch your eye?
(a) A generic style template, or (b) one with colours and great design that is sure to catch your attention.