Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 25-11-2019, 11:37 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I just found a job after many months of joblessness! Don't give up guys!! Try your best and apply for as many jobs as possible!
Say I am not depressed is a hoax.

Sent so many resumes but no news. Sent for full time, part time also no news.

I am not in favour of temp jobs as I am looking for full time perm job.

Old 28-11-2019, 11:35 PM
Unregistered

I applied for a position in a statboard, its been about 3 weeks and there are no updates, but the status did change from submitted to in process. Don't know if I will even get shortlisted for interview, cos I has been doing part time job for quite long after graduation.

Old 29-11-2019, 02:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I applied for a position in a statboard, its been about 3 weeks and there are no updates, but the status did change from submitted to in process. Don't know if I will even get shortlisted for interview, cos I has been doing part time job for quite long after graduation.
ive applied to some too. which ones did u apply to?

Old 29-11-2019, 03:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
ive applied to some too. which ones did u apply to?
department of statistics
Old 02-12-2019, 02:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi all,
I am currently a student who just completed A levels. I know this is probably not the forum for me but I really have a burning question to ask.
I will receive my exam results early next year and will be choosing uni course. Can I ask how is the job market in general and which are the less volatile industry? (And what course should I study to get into these industries?- I obviously do note that this will also be dependent on my results)

I am a science student but I don't have a special interest in anything as of now. (Although I can fairly say that I am more into maths/science rather than humanities)
I am generally a passive person who is not ambitious in nature, so the idea of one succeeding in any career as long as he has the drive probably doesn't apply to me
I am looking mainly for a stable mundane 8-5 job getting a stable salary of 3-4k/month if possible. (Thought of being in civil service come to mind?)

Can anyone advise on this?
Engineering is a widely accepted "passport" into many industries. Fun Fact: 80% of Engineering students don't enter the Engineering industry. For your mundane 8-5pm requirement, I will say it is not easy. Most white-collar jobs don't end on time and require OT without pay. I went for an interview at Keppal Shipyard and they tell me upfront that the job states 8-5 for engineers. The FT workers working under you work from 8am-8pm. So the engineers stayed till 8pm.

The most likely job that suits your requirement is food analyst under the study of Chemical Engineering. I know a friend doing food testing for AVA. Every day, she has to test 100 food samples coming into Singapore. It is mundane enough, report to work, start testing, and fill up the reports. By the time you finish 100 samples, the timing is just nice, it is 5pm. She has since moved on to the private sector and her life is even easier. Private sector doesn't have so much testing. Most of the time, she has nothing to do and just waiting for samples to come in.

Accountancy is a high-stress job. You will be constantly under pressure to sign off on accounts that are false. One NTU lecturer spoke on this issue during her lesson. She shared that her hands were trembling when her boss placed the fake report in front of her. If she sign off on the report, she will face prison time if the authorities found out. She quited and joined NTU.

The good thing about civil service is job security, but there are tons of OT. You are more or less recession-proof, and you don't have to worry about age discrimination. You will understand this point very keenly when you reach your 50s. Banking sector has an interestingly "young" workforce. Where did all the old people in banking go? The same thing is happening in many industries. Once you reach a certain age, they will replace you with someone who is cheaper and younger. Many people in their mid-forties tried to transfer to the CS, because they can sense the purge is coming. The bad thing about CS is that there are too many people applying. It is difficult to get in.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:02 PM
Unregistered

Not true that CS is more open to those in 50s. At 40plus, I had a taste of age discrimination

Quote:
Engineering is a widely accepted "passport" into many industries. Fun Fact: 80% of Engineering students don't enter the Engineering industry. For your mundane 8-5pm requirement, I will say it is not easy. Most white-collar jobs don't end on time and require OT without pay. I went for an interview at Keppal Shipyard and they tell me upfront that the job states 8-5 for engineers. The FT workers working under you work from 8am-8pm. So the engineers stayed till 8pm.

The most likely job that suits your requirement is food analyst under the study of Chemical Engineering. I know a friend doing food testing for AVA. Every day, she has to test 100 food samples coming into Singapore. It is mundane enough, report to work, start testing, and fill up the reports. By the time you finish 100 samples, the timing is just nice, it is 5pm. She has since moved on to the private sector and her life is even easier. Private sector doesn't have so much testing. Most of the time, she has nothing to do and just waiting for samples to come in.

Accountancy is a high-stress job. You will be constantly under pressure to sign off on accounts that are false. One NTU lecturer spoke on this issue during her lesson. She shared that her hands were trembling when her boss placed the fake report in front of her. If she sign off on the report, she will face prison time if the authorities found out. She quited and joined NTU.

The good thing about civil service is job security, but there are tons of OT. You are more or less recession-proof, and you don't have to worry about age discrimination. You will understand this point very keenly when you reach your 50s. Banking sector has an interestingly "young" workforce. Where did all the old people in banking go? The same thing is happening in many industries. Once you reach a certain age, they will replace you with someone who is cheaper and younger. Many people in their mid-forties tried to transfer to the CS, because they can sense the purge is coming. The bad thing about CS is that there are too many people applying. It is difficult to get in.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Not true that CS is more open to those in 50s. At 40plus, I had a taste of age discrimination
Seem like you have an interesting backstory. Would really like to heard more details about it.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Seem like you have an interesting backstory. Would really like to heard more details about it.
I am not that poster but I am also similar because I am in my 40s, jobless and I can attest that even in public service, there is age discrimination.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:29 PM
Unregistered

How much pay cut do you all willing to take in term of percentage or amount if you jobless for sometime?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 10-12-2019, 05:07 PM
Unregistered

Haiz, feeling very depressed. Many months jobless already. Send over 100 resumes every opening I can find. No interviews.