Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 31-10-2019, 01:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hmm, I think if the management give u a chance to try out different scope of work, you could have see it in a optimistic way and take the chance to learn as you have mentioned they are moving and cutting existing jobs.

It could be a way of so called retraining you to value add to the company.

From what you describe, it seems that you portrayed a negative image to them

In this bad economy, I believe most of us are not paid extra money to do tasks outside our scope of work. I believe that there some ppl out there doing 2 person job scope for a pay cheque.

The mentality of sticking to a definite job scope only exist in jobs 20 years ago.

No offence to you, the above is just my own opinion.
I am the original poster.

It is not about one person do x number of people job. In fact, I have been doing more than just my own job scope and also helping to cover my other colleagues of they are on MC or on leave.

Yes, I did try to view it as a positive growth kind of thing but prior to that, no proper handover or closed door discussion for handover. The handover thing was communicated via emails. No face to face handover procedure. This unprofessional way of managing has kind of ticked me off already but I still tried my best to carry out using my limited knowledge.

My negative impression given to them was that I do not want to obey the management instruction.

Prior to that, before the qualified hr manager was being made redundant, I was given positive review by the management.

I did not regret leaving that damn company.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:07 PM
Unregistered

I took a significant pay cut to join current company.
I am contemplating to look for another job that can match my previous pay but what reasons should I give?
Actually the work life balance (for people with family) is decent, should I stay and bear with the pay cut instead?

Old 04-11-2019, 01:07 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I took a significant pay cut to join current company.
I am contemplating to look for another job that can match my previous pay but what reasons should I give?
Actually the work life balance (for people with family) is decent, should I stay and bear with the pay cut instead?
How much is the pay cut and how long have you joined your current firm? You mention there is work life balance, what about your previous job? And how old are you now? If in your 20s, just change lor since you are still young...

Old 19-11-2019, 09:48 AM
Unregistered

Need advice.

Jobless for 7 months. No openings in my industry. I have no choice but to look at other inustries that I am also keen at.

During the 7 months, I didn't take up any Contract or temp jobs as mostly are f n b or retail. I am not interested in these industries. So I fixated only on the job openings of my industry. Went for interviews but not selected. Fast forward, now coming year end, more quiet. I recently sent my resume to try my luck in other industry. Only Recruit Express contacted me but they often only have contract or temp jobs.

I got a call from Recruit Express just now and ask if I am keen on a temp job for 3 months. I have no income for the past 7 months so I just agree to meet up with this recruiter.

My question : Should I go for this 3 months temp job in another industry? Or wait for my perm. job in my original industry? I still can survive a few months more with my savings but I really would like to have a perm job in my former industry that pays me reasonable well.

I am worried what if there were job openings in my industry which I can start immediately, but bog down by this temp job that last 3 months?

Should I take this temp job or wait.
Old 19-11-2019, 07:46 PM
Unregistered

Hi all,
I am currently a student who just completed A levels. I know this is probably not the forum for me but I really have a burning question to ask.
I will receive my exam results early next year and will be choosing uni course. Can I ask how is the job market in general and which are the less volatile industry? (And what course should I study to get into these industries?- I obviously do note that this will also be dependent on my results)

I am a science student but I don't have a special interest in anything as of now. (Although I can fairly say that I am more into maths/science rather than humanities)
I am generally a passive person who is not ambitious in nature, so the idea of one succeeding in any career as long as he has the drive probably doesn't apply to me
I am looking mainly for a stable mundane 8-5 job getting a stable salary of 3-4k/month if possible. (Thought of being in civil service come to mind?)

Can anyone advise on this?
Old 19-11-2019, 10:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi all,
I am currently a student who just completed A levels. I know this is probably not the forum for me but I really have a burning question to ask.
I will receive my exam results early next year and will be choosing uni course. Can I ask how is the job market in general and which are the less volatile industry? (And what course should I study to get into these industries?- I obviously do note that this will also be dependent on my results)

I am a science student but I don't have a special interest in anything as of now. (Although I can fairly say that I am more into maths/science rather than humanities)
I am generally a passive person who is not ambitious in nature, so the idea of one succeeding in any career as long as he has the drive probably doesn't apply to me
I am looking mainly for a stable mundane 8-5 job getting a stable salary of 3-4k/month if possible. (Thought of being in civil service come to mind?)

Can anyone advise on this?

Hey, you taking what subjects in your As? So fast finished liao? I suggest you take Engineering in university. With an engineering degree, you can work in a lot of places.

Old 20-11-2019, 09:30 AM
Unregistered

Anyone went for the Walk in interview at the Tampines Hub career connect yesterday?

I am jobless for 8 months so I went to try the walk in interview. It was an interview for Receptionist position at polyclinics. But I have been working as an office support staff in legal industry. Totally different but the healthcare sector is also another of my interest.

The Singhealth polyclinic interviewer look at me with slight distaste and ask why I want to come for this interview. So I told her I have been working in legal industry and hope to change industry and moreover healthcare industry is also my other interested area.

She talked to me about the work as a recept in clinics and then ended up pushing me to another interviewer in the same room. She asked this interviewer whether she want me or not. Then I was told to go over to that interviewer. The interviewer skim through my resume and then asked me, 'do you even know what kind of environment you will be working in?' And the start shooting all sort of negative questions such as whether I need to take time off to take care of my aged sick parents, etc. I got a bit pissed off and told her so far I do not have such problem (if she is seeing that as a problem).

All the while, she exhibited a kind of 'I don't think you fit the bill cos this is customer service not backend office position'. I only smile smile but forgot to 'shoot' back at her that I know clearly what i am coming for.

End of the interview, she casually mention to wait for them to reply me after 2 weeks.

Then as I walked to the door to exit, I heard her sweat behind me.

What kind of **** is this. Discrimination cos I am a Jobless diploma holder ? Discrimination because I look much younger than other applicants ?

I saw a different treatment when another auntie prolly in her 50s with only PSLE went to the interview and the interviewer was in all smiles.

I thought WSG is a government initiated to help unemployed find jobs ? So discrimination is also rampant ?
Old 20-11-2019, 02:25 PM
Unregistered

Any non fresh diploma holder jobless?
Old 20-11-2019, 04:52 PM
Unregistered

I quitted without a job to look wholeheartedly for another job but the employer don't believe me. What have I done wrong. Quit without a job is a sin ?
Old 22-11-2019, 04:59 PM
Unregistered

Smile

I just found a job after many months of joblessness! Don't give up guys!! Try your best and apply for as many jobs as possible!