Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 15-07-2019, 10:35 AM
Verified Member

dexazh1989 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So are you switching career industry as well? I was an accountant assistant before and it took me less than 6 months to leave. The scope is too mundane and I don't foresee myself in this industry long term.
Kinda same industry, looking into accountant roles. Just find it harder to secure interviews due to the gap in employment

Old 15-07-2019, 10:56 AM
Unregistered

Anyone has any good (not nasty ones) replies when someone tells you, be proactive and write in to companies to see if they are hiring? That’s when u have already sent out many resumes to companies which ARE hiring.

Old 15-07-2019, 11:25 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I am starting work immediately after graduation. Is it too kiasu to get in the rat race, or should I take a step back first?
How immediate is immediate? It’s usually possible to negotiate to start 2-4 weeks later.
Have u signed the offer letter? If no, try to sign later.

Old 15-07-2019, 11:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
How immediate is immediate? It’s usually possible to negotiate to start 2-4 weeks later.
Have u signed the offer letter? If no, try to sign later.
Sat graduation Mon start work... havent sign but need to pay off sch loans
Old 15-07-2019, 05:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm the original poster. I am in a niche market with high turnover rate which i won't disclose. I don't know what you meant by 3 huge employment gaps is unheard of but i take it you meant it negatively which i beg to differ.

In the perfect world we leave because of positive reasons like better offer etc and start a new job with a brief week's break to tie up loose ends. However in the real world we leave a job mostly due to ****ed up colleagues / toxic environment etc which we doesn't have much time to look for a new job to jump.

I personally don't consider 4 or 7 months a big gap. Ask around, usually it takes average 6 months to land a job. I ever landed jobs within 2 months and even the recruiter was surprised and told me - that average it takes 6 months. I known people who find good jobs after 1 whole year of nothing.

However much we like to pinpoint what is good and what is bad traits in job hunting - i'm afraid there is none. A company wants you due to their own reason, not because of your reason.

For example the recent interview i turned down, was by a big government related organisation - when other small organisations didn't even call me up for interview. Does this meant a big government organisation don't mind my gap while the small organisation does?

I'm the original poster and i'm in mid 30s. Like i said, exercise, don't regress and keep your life as per your old self. This is provided you have savings to rely on. Otherwise if financial is already become tight, you might want to find a temp job to tide through.

Stay strong guys. And i'm not entertaining jokers relating sexual advantages for us who are already going through a tough patch finding a job.

I think the earlier guy who commented on your 3 huge employment gaps is to referring to perhaps you yourself may be the toxic source. Ask yourself why do you keep changing jobs? I have seen colleagues who said other colleagues are toxic are in fact more toxic themselves and is usually the toxic originator. Certainly, a person who has frequent job change does not reflect well on himself or herself.
Old 15-07-2019, 06:54 PM
Unregistered

Hi, I got a job offer...but they are offering lower than my last drawn pay...they came back with a better offer than still fall short of my last drawn...is it ok for me to negotiate or should I just accept the offer?

Old 15-07-2019, 10:27 PM
Verified Member

dexazh1989 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi, I got a job offer...but they are offering lower than my last drawn pay...they came back with a better offer than still fall short of my last drawn...is it ok for me to negotiate or should I just accept the offer?
ideally negotiate if the salary is something you are not comfortable with accepting. maybe u can look up salary reports and industry trends, and work out a % increment based on industry average and propose it to them?
Old 16-07-2019, 07:10 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sat graduation Mon start work... havent sign but need to pay off sch loans
I think your case is pretty much straightforward. Ask yourself this. Is jobless for months after graduation yet thinking about repaying school loan more worrying or not being able to take a short break after graduation more worrying?

One is a need, one is a want. Besides you get a headstart than your peers while some people are still struggling to land a job or even an interview. How is an immediate start a bad thing?

In your defence, unless the job is something that gives you no value in the future and you have another source for repaying school loan then yes you can afford to take a step back first.
Old 16-07-2019, 01:47 PM
Unregistered

Else can stay at home watch tv, sleep, go out jalan jalan to pass time.
Old 16-07-2019, 03:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I think the earlier guy who commented on your 3 huge employment gaps is to referring to perhaps you yourself may be the toxic source. Ask yourself why do you keep changing jobs? I have seen colleagues who said other colleagues are toxic are in fact more toxic themselves and is usually the toxic originator. Certainly, a person who has frequent job change does not reflect well on himself or herself.
I'm the original poster.

Like i said, i am in a very niche market which is not like anything you will ever thought of and the nature of the industry has very high turn over (2 weeks turnover in an institution). Secondly, the type of people who works in an industry often has the same certain traits. I will stop here on this.

I did reflect hard - if i was the toxic source. Fortunately, not. For the first employment gap i left because of my own personal issue, i was in my early twenties and had some relationship issue that affected my work which i decided it was better and fairer for the company and myself that i leave. This is very common for young people being inexperienced in relationship stuff.

I wouldn't divulge more on the circumstances that made me leave the other two jobs. If i were to i'm sure you will be surprised. Both times i left with long stayers colleagues. We reflected on the source of the issue and it was un-fixable. For example, due to one single person that has caused repeated employee leaving that position as this person were just unbearable. From the job advertisement for that position still around 1 year after i left, it just shows the problem has been there and will still be there in future. Until the management sort out this person. I certainly don't think i am the toxic if 3-4 person on my position previously left for the same reason, and they are still trying to hire a poor soul (whoever it'd be) up until today to fill the position. When i was on the job many long term staff of the company came telling me how i was able to tahan that long into the job and how the previous girl went crying to them regarding the same issue.

We are all seasoned employees here. We know how messy an office circumstances can be.

I'm trying to say, it is easy for others not knowing the whole story to judge just by the employment gap - like i said, in the perfect world and perfect resume we have no gaps and stays on for at least 5 years on each job - but the world has changed and many HR (told me) they expected this and this is the trend now. We are no longer in the generation where people stay 5 to 10 years on a job.

Well i guess after so much what i've learn is looking for a job, staying on a job can be a big mess. Perfect resumes and experience don't really exists (lucky for you if you do).