Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 11-07-2019, 06:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexazh1989 View Post
yes i get that feeling, any advice on how to survive the emotional stress during this period? been feeling stressed out as my parents have been asking me about my job search, although my girlfriend is rather chill about it
I guess when you have backup plans, it'll put a huge load of stress off your mind. For myself I know I can return to my previous jobs easily so that helped. But because I didn't want, I need to make sure I find a new job before I'm left with no choice.

I'm a self-employed agent now. I only stopped generating active income but I have not officially left my job title so it's not detrimental to my resume yet such as having a gap. But still, give yourself a deadline based on how much your savings can last. You shouldn't be wondering how long this will go on because that statement is very depressive and will only make you emotionally down. I gave myself until August so at least I know I have a "goal" to run.

There was two weeks in June that was very dry without any calls but only online rejections despite active applying and I was very stressed out. I started reflecting why wasn't I getting any interviews so I revamped my resume and added in valuable skills to improve my chances and readjusted my expectations.

Also look for alternatives and open up to other industries. I actually applied to four different industries even though I have a preferred industry. But guess what, two of the offers actually consist of some ad hoc duties that are in my preferred job functions. You still gain experience that way. Moreover when you constantly have interview opportunities, you won't feel so empty and stressed daily because you know you have something to fall back on.

All the best bro!

Old 11-07-2019, 08:55 PM
Verified Member

dexazh1989 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I guess when you have backup plans, it'll put a huge load of stress off your mind. For myself I know I can return to my previous jobs easily so that helped. But because I didn't want, I need to make sure I find a new job before I'm left with no choice.

I'm a self-employed agent now. I only stopped generating active income but I have not officially left my job title so it's not detrimental to my resume yet such as having a gap. But still, give yourself a deadline based on how much your savings can last. You shouldn't be wondering how long this will go on because that statement is very depressive and will only make you emotionally down. I gave myself until August so at least I know I have a "goal" to run.

There was two weeks in June that was very dry without any calls but only online rejections despite active applying and I was very stressed out. I started reflecting why wasn't I getting any interviews so I revamped my resume and added in valuable skills to improve my chances and readjusted my expectations.

Also look for alternatives and open up to other industries. I actually applied to four different industries even though I have a preferred industry. But guess what, two of the offers actually consist of some ad hoc duties that are in my preferred job functions. You still gain experience that way. Moreover when you constantly have interview opportunities, you won't feel so empty and stressed daily because you know you have something to fall back on.

All the best bro!
thanks for the encouragement.. unfortunately i do not have any backups to fall on, only savings. been constantly upgrading (attending course, seeking career coach) for the past 2 months and still no luck.. industries wise not really pick as I am from finance/accounts background, just hard to find a job that i can forsee myself staying for the long term

Old 12-07-2019, 02:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexazh1989 View Post
thanks for the encouragement.. unfortunately i do not have any backups to fall on, only savings. been constantly upgrading (attending course, seeking career coach) for the past 2 months and still no luck.. industries wise not really pick as I am from finance/accounts background, just hard to find a job that i can forsee myself staying for the long term
So are you switching career industry as well? I was an accountant assistant before and it took me less than 6 months to leave. The scope is too mundane and I don't foresee myself in this industry long term.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:08 PM
Unregistered

Hello.. need some advise. I've recently went for an interview in a sme and today received a missed call. It was the company's general number. I called back and the receptionist asked who called me but I've no idea and dunno who to ask for cuz there are 2 bosses. So i said either Xxx or yyy. But both not around at that time. I left my name but no calls returned. Then I'm not sure if it's rude to keep calling.

Can i asked if the interviewing company calls back after interview means they wants to hire me, right? Even if we didn't manage to speak today, they will call back and not just move on to the next potential candidate? Sigh... I'm a little scared as I've been looking for a job for quite a while and finally seems like there's chance and i missed the call. And I've an interview next tues, which is my preferred choice as compared to this job. So I'm also in a dilemma what to do now. Please help me.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hello.. need some advise. I've recently went for an interview in a sme and today received a missed call. It was the company's general number. I called back and the receptionist asked who called me but I've no idea and dunno who to ask for cuz there are 2 bosses. So i said either Xxx or yyy. But both not around at that time. I left my name but no calls returned. Then I'm not sure if it's rude to keep calling.

Can i asked if the interviewing company calls back after interview means they wants to hire me, right? Even if we didn't manage to speak today, they will call back and not just move on to the next potential candidate? Sigh... I'm a little scared as I've been looking for a job for quite a while and finally seems like there's chance and i missed the call. And I've an interview next tues, which is my preferred choice as compared to this job. So I'm also in a dilemma what to do now. Please help me.
I'm the original poster. Spoke to the company already but the salary they offer is way way way lower than expected. Much lower than my last drawn too. I'm not prepared to take it but if i reject, I'm worried that i can't find myself another job anytime soon.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:13 PM
Unregistered

Which industry are you in and what kind of role do you perform?

How many years of experience have you got?

Are you currently working?

Old 13-07-2019, 08:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Is it a must to ask questions at the end of interviews? Sometimes we just don't have questions to ask.. maybe due to interviewers already explain in details earlier or everything is very clear-cut. Is it ok to simply say "thanks, I've no further questions"?
Kind of important in my opinion to at least ask 1-2 questions to show your interest.
Old 13-07-2019, 09:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm the original poster. Spoke to the company already but the salary they offer is way way way lower than expected. Much lower than my last drawn too. I'm not prepared to take it but if i reject, I'm worried that i can't find myself another job anytime soon.
Typically the company won’t give up the selected candidate so easily simply because he/she misses the call, as it takes a lot of efforts & times for the hiring manager to find a suitable candidate.

Anyway back to the salary concern, my suggestion is don’t take the offer, you probably can try to re negotiate since you have nothing to lose, but accepting it might mean that you will lose your energy at work thinking the company owe you, and it is likely that you will leave for another job few months later...
Old 13-07-2019, 09:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm the original poster. I am in a niche market with high turnover rate which i won't disclose. I don't know what you meant by 3 huge employment gaps is unheard of but i take it you meant it negatively which i beg to differ.

In the perfect world we leave because of positive reasons like better offer etc and start a new job with a brief week's break to tie up loose ends. However in the real world we leave a job mostly due to ****ed up colleagues / toxic environment etc which we doesn't have much time to look for a new job to jump.

I personally don't consider 4 or 7 months a big gap. Ask around, usually it takes average 6 months to land a job. I ever landed jobs within 2 months and even the recruiter was surprised and told me - that average it takes 6 months. I known people who find good jobs after 1 whole year of nothing.

However much we like to pinpoint what is good and what is bad traits in job hunting - i'm afraid there is none. A company wants you due to their own reason, not because of your reason.

For example the recent interview i turned down, was by a big government related organisation - when other small organisations didn't even call me up for interview. Does this meant a big government organisation don't mind my gap while the small organisation does?
Thanks for sharing your comments. Having the those black spots in your resume (yes months of unemployment gaps ARE black spots) doesn’t mean that you won’t land another interview / offer, it just mean that it is going to be a lot tougher than those with lesser gaps.

By the way, it is not only the duration I am referring, but also the frequency. Changing 3 jobs within 10 years of working life is not uncommon, but every job change without an offer in line is suspicious at least to the hiring manager - questions such as you cannot take stress, you are not a team player, you are let go by the company due to poor performance / bad attitude, etc. All these images to you might not be the truth, but it will definitely be the first impression from most of the hiring managers when they first see your resume.
Old 15-07-2019, 09:41 AM
Unregistered

I am starting work immediately after graduation. Is it too kiasu to get in the rat race, or should I take a step back first?