Anyone jobless for a long time before? - Page 214 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 16-05-2019, 01:37 PM
Unregistered

Anyone had a gruelling and tough interview before?

But in the end, got accepted?

Have gone for interviews where interviewer was smiley and didn’t get in

And have also gone for very tough interviews but got in

Old 16-05-2019, 01:53 PM

TakemiShino is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I believe the job market is not doing too good. Some friends told me their organisations (mostly financial industry, not too sure about other industries though ) are having heatcount freeze.

And not just people who are older, I also know of even young fresh grads or to be graduating students looking for internships, are also having issues. I have heard friends who received zero replies when looking for internships (top student with excellent results somemore), and younger friends with higher degrees and couple of years of working experience, are also having difficult time in job hunting.

They all not affected by the age factor, with good results in good uni and relevant degrees... The problem is most of them are not getting any responses from their applications. Is like some earlier posts here have shared... Like the applications have went into some black hole.

In general, guess the market is not very stable now, and organisations may be more conservative in hiring (usually they will offer contract and see if they can extend or convert when times are better).

I guess openings you see in the portals may not be 100% true immediate openings. These could be potential or wishlist which organisations may want to fill if they get the approval or when times are better or when there is an immediate business needs.
Then what happens to people like us right now ??
stay dead ?

Old 16-05-2019, 05:04 PM
Unregistered

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemiShino View Post
Then what happens to people like us right now ??
stay dead ?
Do you have any network that can help? It is indeed quite a harsh world out there. Network does help. If you have peers working elsewhere, get their help to recommend you. In worse time, you may even need to go through friend of friends. I have also been out of job for quite a long time. Trust me, I understand the pain, the disappointment and the anxiety. In the end, I have to put my pride down, ask around from friends and friends' friends for help, and accept job which may not fit my wishlist in terms of remuneration, roles, part time, contract, etc.

Unless you can afford to wait till the market recovers, but honestly, done of us can we predict the future (who knows when it will recover). Especially for us who are older, each day passed, means a day we are less "valuable" to the workforce. It is natural that organisations want young, cheap and can learn fast people. With the industries changing so fast, even our past experiences (no matter how impressive it is) will soon become obsolete someday.

I am not going to say "beautiful words" like "don't give up. you will find your dream job one day", because I have been through equally dark periods of unemployment and I knew such "beautiful inspiration words" do little to help with the disappointment and despair we are feeling. All I can say, please stay strong. It is an emotional roller coaster, but no matter what, please stay strong.

Old 16-05-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Do you have any network that can help? It is indeed quite a harsh world out there. Network does help. If you have peers working elsewhere, get their help to recommend you. In worse time, you may even need to go through friend of friends. I have also been out of job for quite a long time. Trust me, I understand the pain, the disappointment and the anxiety. In the end, I have to put my pride down, ask around from friends and friends' friends for help, and accept job which may not fit my wishlist in terms of remuneration, roles, part time, contract, etc.

Unless you can afford to wait till the market recovers, but honestly, done of us can we predict the future (who knows when it will recover). Especially for us who are older, each day passed, means a day we are less "valuable" to the workforce. It is natural that organisations want young, cheap and can learn fast people. With the industries changing so fast, even our past experiences (no matter how impressive it is) will soon become obsolete someday.

I am not going to say "beautiful words" like "don't give up. you will find your dream job one day", because I have been through equally dark periods of unemployment and I knew such "beautiful inspiration words" do little to help with the disappointment and despair we are feeling. All I can say, please stay strong. It is an emotional roller coaster, but no matter what, please stay strong.

Do you have any network that can help? --- > Not that I know of unless you count the gaming community zzzz

you have peers working elsewhere --- > zero here

you may even need to go through friend of friends ---- > Zero unless facebook friends count

Unless you can afford to wait till the market recovers ---> reserves funds run dry in a few days

It is natural that organisations want young, cheap and can learn fast people. ---> is 32 young ??

at the age of 32, not much I can do at the moment

Last edited by TakemiShino; 16-05-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Old 16-05-2019, 05:28 PM

lazyplane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lol. You sound very young and new to this working world.
which part makes u think i am young ? And if you want to meet up and for me to prove to you, sure ... message me your handphone and we can have a chat.
Old 16-05-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Do you have any network that can help? --- > Not that I know of unless you count the gaming community zzzz

you may even need to go through friend of friends ---- > Zero unless facebook friends count

you have peers working elsewhere --- > zero in regards to the previous

Unless you can afford to wait till the market recovers ---> reserves funds run dry in a few days

It is natural that organisations want young, cheap and can learn fast people. ---> is 32 young ??

WHO CAN HELP ME NOW!! I am shouting because as much I want to stay positive, reality is I can't.

Old 16-05-2019, 05:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

32 is consider young in one's career.
In fact early 30s, is a time that many of my peers started changing jobs, with some switching industry, some going for further studies, etc.
Well, without knowing much, I can't comment too much about your situation.

But perhaps try to take up some courses that is relevant to the industry which you aspire to enter? Through these courses, you will get to meet people (classmates or instructors) who may become your next connection network...

And I believe your peers in the gaming community hold day jobs too? Ask for their opinions, interact with them to find out what they do (not sure if they are willing to share, I am not a gamer, so not too sure how it works in the community. But I believe talking to people regardless which industry or community they are from, is a connection, and each connection is a potential network point to another opportunity out there).

Network does not necessary means people in your work or your work related environment.
Old 16-05-2019, 11:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

you have peers working elsewhere --- > zero here

Mind sharing how come you were out of job and previously what type of jobs you are working as?
Based on your previous job you are looking for admin assistant job. What is your education level? Why not other types of job which is more relevant to your studies?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 17-05-2019, 12:35 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Mind sharing how come you were out of job and previously what type of jobs you are working as?
Based on your previous job you are looking for admin assistant job. What is your education level? Why not other types of job which is more relevant to your studies?
The history:
Education: Higher Nitec in Information Technology

I have alot of experience in IT jobs ( at least I thought so )
for the first 7 years it was mostly callcenter and some IT admin ( not the networking kind , still considered backend support though) jobs

The last year which really was last year (2018) and my last job was a real IT job dealing with IT infrastructure.

Having so many years in IT , I thought I had it , but I did not in regards to the last job.

For 7 years , I picked up what I could. Then last year , well see IT infrastructure deals in many aspects: IT projects , callcenter style troubleshooting and on-site. From PC to networking. Thats alot.

What happened:
First off , my company does not have many customers to beign with.

Projects not an issue cause we go as a team.

As the months went by in my last job , I had to go to many on-site's to fix stuff by myself. This was what killed me.

As many as 4 customers told my boss that I basically sucked and I was not sure was doing. ( also partly because I could not explain how what happened , how I fixed it or any prevention method ) , they basically told my boss not to send me down again.

As with every customer up till the 4th ban, my boss gave me chances time and time again to prove my worth. I tried but yeah I still could not.

And after the 4th ban , we both agreed that I sucked and I agreed to leave the office which was in January this year, well 1st of January , yeah the begining.

The problem:

Since January , being looking for other avenues than IT ( cause I know I suck now ) , but its gonna be hard to switch line's because everything in my resume speaks IT. ( at least the previous one )

Yup , I went to redo my resume to fit admin type jobs. The only last fronteir left. T-T
I tried and F&B at the simplest place Macdonadls but was not offered the Job because I was not cut out for it.

So basically since January till now, I am stuck with no job and my reserve funds running out soon.

I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by TakemiShino; 17-05-2019 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Adding text
Old 17-05-2019, 02:55 PM

bump bump. Anyone for comments ??