Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 15-05-2019, 06:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Either the market is really bad now or I've really no luck in job hunting.. i stopped work for a year as i just started a family. Started looking for a job recently and it's been 2 months of VERT active job hunting but nothing!. It used to be so much easier and my career was doing quite well back then before i decided to take a break. Is it because employers aren't giving chance to employees who had taken a break? Even if it's only for a year? Feeling kinda depressed....

How old are you? 2 mths is a short time...there are people who are still looking for jobs after 6 mths or even a year.

Old 15-05-2019, 08:46 PM

TakemiShino is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemiShino View Post
am i doing something wrong? cause thats what the guys at paya lebar center told me.
someone can respond ??

Old 15-05-2019, 09:15 PM
Unregistered

Actually, How to tell if the job market is lousy?

Old 15-05-2019, 09:15 PM
Unregistered

jobless good what ..... can everyday eat, sleep, rave, repeat!

Enjoying every moment of it!
Old 16-05-2019, 10:08 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemiShino View Post
I am not sure about him. However , these past 5 months for me I have been using fastjobs using keyword search then just applying for whatever I can find.

I even went and to redo my resume and still nothing.

Edit: looking for admin assistant jobs
Me too, Just looking for a accounts payable job for 3 months but still nothing. Guess it's age as I'm above 40. May just have to be contented with contract jobs
Old 16-05-2019, 12:56 PM
Unregistered

I believe the job market is not doing too good. Some friends told me their organisations (mostly financial industry, not too sure about other industries though ) are having heatcount freeze.

And not just people who are older, I also know of even young fresh grads or to be graduating students looking for internships, are also having issues. I have heard friends who received zero replies when looking for internships (top student with excellent results somemore), and younger friends with higher degrees and couple of years of working experience, are also having difficult time in job hunting.

They all not affected by the age factor, with good results in good uni and relevant degrees... The problem is most of them are not getting any responses from their applications. Is like some earlier posts here have shared... Like the applications have went into some black hole.

In general, guess the market is not very stable now, and organisations may be more conservative in hiring (usually they will offer contract and see if they can extend or convert when times are better).

I guess openings you see in the portals may not be 100% true immediate openings. These could be potential or wishlist which organisations may want to fill if they get the approval or when times are better or when there is an immediate business needs.

Old 16-05-2019, 01:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyplane View Post
Not sure if this is a real post but here are a few tips

1. Recognise the anxiety you have is real but do not feed it. And Focus on the Task at hand .
Eg - Dont worry about your tomorrow problem which is theoretical. Focus on just doing what your new company / boss give you as task to the best of your ability. Also know that studies have shown that if your body/ mind remain in such an anxious state of panic, it will be difficult to perform well. Give yourself a chance to relax so you can perform better.

2. On which job to take - my recommendation :Pursue your job interest. Not the company.
Why?? People perform best when their passion and skill are aligned. The company (be it a start up or matured company) is just an avenue to express that skill. When you acquire the skills , you can choose the companies you want to join. Or rather they will chose you.

3. High Expectation and Staying Long.
Before you worry about your boss or the company expectation of you, what are your own expectations of yourself? Did you expect to goof off and laze around ? (Hopefully not !) And if you had expectations over yourself, would it not be that many of your own expectations are aligned to these high expectation set ? If not, ask yourself – what is the basis that these expectations are formed ? Eg Are they reasonable ie standards that you can achieve if you have given it all. If so, then relax. Be answerable to your own high expectation first before you worry about other people expectation.

Also, instead of hoping that the job will be there for us. I remind myself constant that the job only pays bills. And no one owes me a living to keep my skills marketable . I owe it to myself to make myself marketable and to make myself financial independent.

Finally, enjoy the fact that now you have 2 job offers ! Recognise the moment ! ie that you have now moved on from the stage of jobless to being employed. Be Thankful as you have move on. Continue to do so and support others whom are not as fortunate.

Cheers ! and Congrats !
Lol. You sound very young and new to this working world.
Old 16-05-2019, 01:19 PM
Unregistered

Why do interviewers always tend to give candidates false hopes ? Some interviewers will tell you to give them a weeks' time to give you results and you know roughly whether you have a chance or not. Some interviewers will tell you they are also interviewing other candidates and will you let you know in a few days time. Such interviewers are better in a way they are more honest and won't give you false hope as you know they are trying to be polite in rejecting you. I appreciate such interviewers. But some interviewers can smile and chat with you until got dragon got tiger and then at the end of the interview, tell you ok ok, will call you or send you email. Then never hear from them again. And you waited in vain with the added depression.
Old 16-05-2019, 01:25 PM
Verified Member

heracles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why do interviewers always tend to give candidates false hopes ? Some interviewers will tell you to give them a weeks' time to give you results and you know roughly whether you have a chance or not. Some interviewers will tell you they are also interviewing other candidates and will you let you know in a few days time. Such interviewers are better in a way they are more honest and won't give you false hope as you know they are trying to be polite in rejecting you. I appreciate such interviewers. But some interviewers can smile and chat with you until got dragon got tiger and then at the end of the interview, tell you ok ok, will call you or send you email. Then never hear from them again. And you waited in vain with the added depression.
Reason being, you are never confirmed to be rejected unless the 1st priority candidate accepts the offer. So in a scenario whereby youre not the 1st priority, chances are you are the backup offer.

Its the same where if I have two offers at hand, I will not reject another until I signed the offer that I want
Old 16-05-2019, 01:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Actually can I just ask in general, if people prefer a friendly or gruelling interview?
Anyone had a bad cop interview but received an offer in the end?

Meaning the interviewer grilled & asked tough questions, and applicant found it tough but got accepted in the end?