Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 26-03-2019, 11:04 PM
Ambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have got psych degree 2:2 private but not interested in psychology career at all. I am looking for jobs like bank customer service etc. All jobs need exp and those jobs that welcome freshers with no exp salary is painstakingly low like 1.8 or lesser (wtf) and i have been jobless like almost a year since graduation. i see freshers earning 3K but i cant cope myself earning half of that. seriously why is the job market so ridiculous. my sibling moved to aus and she is earing 4K for an entry level cso job but after tax she gets like 3K. any jobline I should look into?
Did she inform you how much is rent per week, food per week, phone bill and transport/parking cost and health care cost? 4k Auzzie is equivalent to 3k Singapore in major cities like Melbourne, Perth, GC. when u factor in standard of living. Minimum wage caused big problem there.

But yes I agree job market in SG at the moment, is really bad. 3k is slightly optimistic really. Many people take 2.6-3k depending on industry. Many numbers you see on this forum are ego based salary, inflate a few hundred to feel good, pls take with a pinch of salt. Rarely do u see people announcing they earn 2k a month yah, but many are.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 27-03-2019, 11:48 AM
Unregistered

Default T_T

I'm a fresh grad and have been actively applying for jobs. Recently went for an interview last week. I think I did pretty well for the interview and it lasted for an hour or so, but I did not receive any updates with regards to the job. Company HR said that they will get back to me by early next week (this week), should I wait until Thursday to follow up with the HR or should I assume that the position has already been filled/I was not offered for the job?

Doing my best to stay positive and keep applying, jiayou to those who are facing the same/similar situations as me! I wish all of you luck!!!!!!!

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 27-03-2019, 01:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm a fresh grad and have been actively applying for jobs. Recently went for an interview last week. I think I did pretty well for the interview and it lasted for an hour or so, but I did not receive any updates with regards to the job. Company HR said that they will get back to me by early next week (this week), should I wait until Thursday to follow up with the HR or should I assume that the position has already been filled/I was not offered for the job?

Doing my best to stay positive and keep applying, jiayou to those who are facing the same/similar situations as me! I wish all of you luck!!!!!!!
My experience + hearsay. Those that get it, get notified within days. Those that didn't do well, actually the 2 weeks is waiting for letter of rejection, or waiting list got lucky as the top candidate rejected. Even the closing date indicated on job portals is not reliable. Usually good candidates get called within days of application as software will prompt HR of excellent matches and HR gets to work calling all parties.

Hang in there and keep applying. My friends in public service are planning to throw letter after PB confirmed in pocket. Culture shock ba. The package in public service don't commensurate with the working hours and experience brought to the table.

Old 27-03-2019, 04:05 PM
Unregistered

Default Testing

I am new to this forum. But it seems to be a good read
Old 27-03-2019, 04:21 PM
VTgoodluck

Default *_*

Clinching a job has never been a problem for me until last year Oct 2018.

I graduated from NTU and my experience is in the field of pricing.
Because my experience is very niche, and i do excel in numbers, i was always able to get jobs shortly after i leave any previous jobs. I worked in MNCs all my life. And know how to highlight my best experience in my resume. I also do perform well normally during interviews. My pay was around 5K per month.

However the past 3 months have not been too smooth. I went for 5 interviews with no luck of clinching the job.

I am 40 this year. I guess age plays a part, and the job market is really soft, plus govt import too many FTs for their own benefit (CECA for temasek holdings and GLCs to invest in markets like India and let those foreigners come to fight jobs with local singaporeans).

I left my previous job due to a bad female boss. I hate female bosses to the core. I find that not only are female bosses very bossy, but they are also emotional, and very lacking in capability (in both IT skills, etc). They should really stay in the kitchen.

But i am keeping myself very enriched during these 3 months by following and in fact enjoying it.

1) temp job at Amazon warehouse from 730am to 1230pm
2) attending monthly talks at NTU
3) 2nd temp job twice a week, 1 hr each assignment taking measurements in school
4) doing cooking at home
5) going for perm jobs interviews
6) going church on Sat
7) going JB eat and massage with friends on my off day Monday
8) watching lots of interesting discussions online to improve my sociology and political science knowledge

You have to take up some temp jobs when you are off perm job. This is to keep the rythm and momentum going, also to offer you some cash while you hunt for perm jobs.
Old 27-03-2019, 07:48 PM
Verified Member

JoblessGrad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My experience + hearsay. Those that get it, get notified within days. Those that didn't do well, actually the 2 weeks is waiting for letter of rejection, or waiting list got lucky as the top candidate rejected. Even the closing date indicated on job portals is not reliable. Usually good candidates get called within days of application as software will prompt HR of excellent matches and HR gets to work calling all parties.

Hang in there and keep applying. My friends in public service are planning to throw letter after PB confirmed in pocket. Culture shock ba. The package in public service don't commensurate with the working hours and experience brought to the table.
Hi I am curious, did your friends secure a job before making the move?

Old 27-03-2019, 08:14 PM
Unregistered

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoblessGrad View Post
Hi I am curious, did your friends secure a job before making the move?
Planning to throw letter...

Everyone has dependents, cannot anyhow throw. One fella has dreamt of throwing for 2 years alr
Old 28-03-2019, 12:30 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTgoodluck View Post
Clinching a job has never been a problem for me until last year Oct 2018.

I graduated from NTU and my experience is in the field of pricing.
Because my experience is very niche, and i do excel in numbers, i was always able to get jobs shortly after i leave any previous jobs. I worked in MNCs all my life. And know how to highlight my best experience in my resume. I also do perform well normally during interviews. My pay was around 5K per month.

However the past 3 months have not been too smooth. I went for 5 interviews with no luck of clinching the job.

I am 40 this year. I guess age plays a part, and the job market is really soft, plus govt import too many FTs for their own benefit (CECA for temasek holdings and GLCs to invest in markets like India and let those foreigners come to fight jobs with local singaporeans).

I left my previous job due to a bad female boss. I hate female bosses to the core. I find that not only are female bosses very bossy, but they are also emotional, and very lacking in capability (in both IT skills, etc). They should really stay in the kitchen.
I tend to agree on the idea of poor leadership, but I think for me it boils down to overly emotional style. I have been led by male boss that are super aunty and emotional, (think anesthetic inclined people) , and women who are very empowering and empathetic, they control themselves to see result before demanding change.
My colleague on the other hand loves to be micro managed coz no need to use brains and take home good salary.

I am also closing in on 40 in a couple of years. I pray that I get into this organization which I am in the final stage, then I think I will just farm or climb, depending on opportunities that come by.
Actually CECA or not, will Singaporeans be willing to do the work those foreigners gladly take? Those jobs are often hands on rather than minds on, and pay a salary some consider demeaning. It is sad because looking at the financial statement of some of these companies that pay badly, they can well afford 30% increment across the board.

End of rant. Good luck!
Old 28-03-2019, 03:57 PM
Unregistered

Default remove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat25 View Post
Hello, does being a director in f&b company affect job status? My dad insisted to put my name as a director in his company. I have been job hunting for months. I am fresh graduate and get a handful of interviews average monthly. I know myself that I have done interviews positively confident but I never got a single offer till now. Does being a director in company affect my job status? Maybe when HR/hiring managers asks for your IC and they do check whether I am employed or not or having affiliations with other companies. To note: I don't work in my dads company. Just an acting director or whatever. Please advice whether I should revoke my status as being a director or this doesnt affect my job employment at all. Cheers
hi,
i believe you know the answer, that you should not put that farce posting/job in your resume. You are a fresh grad, there is no way any fresh grad is a Director in any company unless you founded a startup for example. I think it leaves a bad impression as most recruiters/hiring managers would know it is a farce anyway, also might lead to hard questions to answer during interview. I think you know that its probably a good idea for you to remove it, hence you are seeking support here.
Just listen to yourself that you think its the right decision to make, despite your dad's insistence. It's your life and career after all.
Old 28-03-2019, 10:32 PM
Unregistered

any good recruitment agencies to suggest for a fresher entry level? will they pay me lower than my degree or shall I apply direct to companies?