Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 21-03-2019, 10:27 AM
Unregistered

Red face Point to ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFlirt View Post
They can blacklist you in their system.but hey, there are thousands of companies like them. Why bother? And if the contract involves in money ,like work at least 3 month or 1 month, even if you don't pay, they also llst.
While I generally agree with your statement, what if...

Your background is education and MOE blacklist you
Your background is media and media Corp blacklist you
Your background is aerospace and Changi Airport group...

Singapore is very very small. More choice is better than less.

Old 21-03-2019, 03:24 PM
Unregistered

The contract was already breached in the first place. I signed on an agreement of X place but was put to work in Y place. Spoke to manager and agent said that i was complaining so I contacted my lawyer who is a friend and he said just compose an email saying that the contract is already been breached as the workplace that was assigned now is different from what I signed on contract and therefor im being forced to work in a different place bla bla. Update: I have resigned and agent agreed that i no longer need to serve 1 month notice period. Either she was scared from my email knowing that she made me signed a breached contract or she let me go to blacklist for her own comfort. This job is visa service company for a cso position.

Old 22-03-2019, 01:38 AM
Unregistered

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The contract was already breached in the first place. I signed on an agreement of X place but was put to work in Y place. Spoke to manager and agent said that i was complaining so I contacted my lawyer who is a friend and he said just compose an email saying that the contract is already been breached as the workplace that was assigned now is different from what I signed on contract and therefor im being forced to work in a different place bla bla. Update: I have resigned and agent agreed that i no longer need to serve 1 month notice period. Either she was scared from my email knowing that she made me signed a breached contract or she let me go to blacklist for her own comfort. This job is visa service company for a cso position.
Good for you. It sounds like a normal position that a hundred companies can offer the same thing.

Thank you for sharing, yet another case of a lousy agency selling human bodies.

Old 25-03-2019, 04:28 PM
Unregistered

I resigned and been jobless for about 8 months as i have a young child. I was holding mid-level managerial post so i would say that pay is ok and workload stressful. Then now i begin to look for job to go back to the workforce. Very hard to even secure an interview. Tried to go for a more junior role, also no interviews. Finally got an interview through a recruiter but super super pissed with him. Very rude and keep making mistakes. He even scheduled the interview at the wrong date! Then as this company has 3 locations, he even lied to me that the future workplace will be at location A but luckily i enquired during the interview, it will actually be at location B. He called today that the company will officially offer but he keeps pushing down my expected salary and saying lots of sarcastic things. I'm actually not that super keen on the role as it will be super taxing and i might not be able to handle as i have family commitment. But i was seriously considering to just give it a try due to money la.. but now because of him, I feel like just giving this job opportunity a pass as i really feel like vomiting everytime i talk to him.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 25-03-2019, 04:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I resigned and been jobless for about 8 months as i have a young child. I was holding mid-level managerial post so i would say that pay is ok and workload stressful. Then now i begin to look for job to go back to the workforce. Very hard to even secure an interview. Tried to go for a more junior role, also no interviews. Finally got an interview through a recruiter but super super pissed with him. Very rude and keep making mistakes. He even scheduled the interview at the wrong date! Then as this company has 3 locations, he even lied to me that the future workplace will be at location A but luckily i enquired during the interview, it will actually be at location B. He called today that the company will officially offer but he keeps pushing down my expected salary and saying lots of sarcastic things. I'm actually not that super keen on the role as it will be super taxing and i might not be able to handle as i have family commitment. But i was seriously considering to just give it a try due to money la.. but now because of him, I feel like just giving this job opportunity a pass as i really feel like vomiting everytime i talk to him.
Definitely not easy to juggle family commitments and job searching.

The reality is that once a person is jobless, his or her bargaining power in terms of salary falls.

The best is to request for them to match your last salary.

At the same time, do find other ways to earn extra income like selling off old items or through investing.
Old 25-03-2019, 05:16 PM
Unregistered

For a degree with no honours and CAP less than 3.00, $2500 is an appropriate expected salary right?

I am not sure what to do already...Been applying close to 200 jobs close to a year and amending my resume (according to the JD esp if I really want the job) if not I will just spam my resume for decent jobs on Jobstreet. Tried being open-minded by applying through recruitment firms, which I received 8 agents who offered basic contract jobs and super low pay. I initially thoughtEven worst was that they all called me frequently while I was overseas...phone bill sibei jialat. Once i reach Sg, no follow-ups from them. A big disappointment and let-down.

I also applied directly to companies that I really want to work with and Careers@Gov (which i feel have no hope at all cause I don't have stellar grades)

BTW, I'm the NUS chemistry graduate whos currently doing internship. And it is ending soon, getting anxious and scared. Time is flying by so quickly but I have not received a single job offer yet.

If there are others out there like me, jia you and I hope we will meet miracles soon in the future.

Old 25-03-2019, 05:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
For a degree with no honours and CAP less than 3.00, $2500 is an appropriate expected salary right?

I am not sure what to do already...Been applying close to 200 jobs close to a year and amending my resume (according to the JD esp if I really want the job) if not I will just spam my resume for decent jobs on Jobstreet. Tried being open-minded by applying through recruitment firms, which I received 8 agents who offered basic contract jobs and super low pay. I initially thoughtEven worst was that they all called me frequently while I was overseas...phone bill sibei jialat. Once i reach Sg, no follow-ups from them. A big disappointment and let-down.

I also applied directly to companies that I really want to work with and Careers@Gov (which i feel have no hope at all cause I don't have stellar grades)

BTW, I'm the NUS chemistry graduate whos currently doing internship. And it is ending soon, getting anxious and scared. Time is flying by so quickly but I have not received a single job offer yet.

If there are others out there like me, jia you and I hope we will meet miracles soon in the future.
Why not approach the company that you are currently doing internship whether they have openings and kerb to hire you?
Old 25-03-2019, 06:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Did you try SME? Sometimes asking people around you might help too. relatives/friends?
Open up your scope?

I graduated in 2009 and also gotten CAP less than 3.0 from NTU engineering. I started off with low pay $2,300 at SME. Moving forward, I am now earning annual salary close to 160-170k. Just get started without thinking about low pay. Can work out the pay later after you gain good working experience.
Old 25-03-2019, 11:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

No problem with your salary. Problem is the field. Many of my friends with bio and Chem background also ended up doing all sorts of work.

NUS even no honours also ranked higher than private degree. Go ahead and apply on career future and career gov.

Really jobless eventually then drive private hire, sell insurance, sell property lor. Willing to move arms and legs won't starve one. All those certs is chicken feed for a young graduate with strong ability to memorize.

However, do take note that gahmen don't recognize any job experience that's not full time or without cpf. Assuming you still keep your options open to both Pte and gahmen.
Old 25-03-2019, 11:24 PM
Ambition

Unhappy

Quote:
You probably already considered but anyway... Rope in your family if possible. Get parents to move in to help or let children live with them during weekdays but if newborn more likely is they move in with you. If you get an interview don't ask for concessions to flexi work until u signed on the dotted line. You really don't want any sign of weaknesses in your profile.

Jobs these days are highly competitive with a beeline of people without obligation (fresh grads)

Based on hearsay, SME are lowballing fresh grads under 2k.