Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 28-02-2019, 01:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat25 View Post
what kind of skills are companies looking for in a HR assistant/Admin role? I have non-HR degree background. Been jobless around 9 months and every month I apply upto 100 positions. workforce singapore is really unhelpful. i really need advice.
I am sorry to hear about your predicament. I felt for you and read most of your posts. It is OK to be a director of your dad's company at this point, just don't put it in your resume, just do a verbal mention to HR if it's fine to remain. If you flaunt it then it will raise brows.

Hundreds if not thousands of fresh Biz and HR graduates are out. Even without experience they have foundation skills to do the job, which you don't. Besides HR is mostly software now, which makes an even tighter market.

Look good and speak clearly at the interview starting with a firm handshake. Don't rush to regurgitate whatever you memorized. You must look like you are ready handle anything. Software cannot replace people skills.

To get real experience, join a recruitment firm to learn the on the job. People there tend to be sales oriented and selfish though, but almost anyone can get a job, probation for 3 months.

I believe your background is psychology. This field can prosper if you move up towards a master or better a PhD. Most biz/hr graduates do a minor in psychology and that is enough to do the job. You may consider to get certified in personality profiling if yet to obtain, be it disc mbti or 16pf. Big companies strongly believe in profiling as initial filter.

Write a compelling cover on how psychology can get them the right candidate. But of course you must be able to execute.

If I may suggest, maybe try to apply for various internship open now. You can always indicate your passion for HR subsequently should you still like it.

Don't give up.

Old 28-02-2019, 07:06 PM
Unregistered

The most important distinction that can be made in politics is the friend / enemy distinction. Who is your friend and who is your enemy must be the first principle from which all other stems. Liberalism and the deracinated elite Chinese classes like Pinky have forgotten this simple truth. They think the CECA is a friend, because the elite CECAs he hangs out with are greasy silver tongued opportunists professing friendship. He cannot be more wrong, they are the enemy and their behavior is inimical to towards the Chinese but what makes them dangerous is that they are so good at pretending they aren't, or perhaps more accurately I should say our NUS educated elites are too stupid and naive to realize their blatantly dishonest behavior. The rapelander is a highly evolved socio-economic parasite in his homeland, a so-called nation of a thousand jati-castes practicing highly honed ingroup nepotism developed over the course of thousands of years. It isn't so much that CECA's are inherently evil or even loyal to other CECA's but rather their social traditions place ingroup (caste) loyalty above all other considerations, like for example competence, because their nation consists myriads of competing groups out trying to screw each other and secure status and position for their own. Those who don't play this game well get funneled into the lower castes because higher positions are monopolized by cliques of organized others. The Singaporean Chinese, having lost or given up their clan affiliations are no longer so tribal and thus are unable to coordinate a group response to group aggression by CECA's, so slowly Singapore is being transformed into Rapelande light by CECA's who sneakily privilege their caste kinsmen over the locals slowly over time so we are driven from the higher sectors of the economy and become like lower caste CECAS in rapeland itself. Uber and NS for Sinkie Chinese, Banking and IT industry for CECAS. It's like having a hundred coins being flipped in the air and each head or tails flipped will add another head or tail coin to the game respectively. The CECA is a weighted coin that is 90% chance going to fall on heads so overtime the game becomes almost entirely full of coins landing on heads and thus all CECA.

If the Singapore elite is unable to grasp this simple fact and act to rectify it, then Singapore is finished as a city-state because it is the intellect and labor of the Singaporean Chinese that is responsible for it's past and current prosperity, not the aneh nor the malay. Once capable Chinese are all displaced either to the west or even back to our motherland, the rest will have no one else to parasite off of and all that is left of our little dot on the map is a gradually decaying metropolis populated by groups of mutually parasitic browns fighting each other for scraps as the city gradually crumbles back into SE Asian turd world-dom.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:39 PM
Unregistered

How do you all keep yourselves upbeat and motivated after being jobless for many months?
I feel directionless and I have a family to feed.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:02 PM
Verified Member

coolcat25 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How do you all keep yourselves upbeat and motivated after being jobless for many months?
I feel directionless and I have a family to feed.
I am single and dependant on parents and motivation for me comes from advice from people, friends and Internet sources that keeps my mind intact to never give up and apply for jobs. But still man being unemployed for 9 months and people say I never put effort.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:33 PM
Unregistered

If you have really no choice, then become a taxi / Grab / GoJek driver. At least you can put food on the table and pay your mortgage.

Don't just waste your time complaining. Take action.

If you can't afford to pay for your mortgage, then downgrade to a smaller flat and pay in full.

No one owes us a living.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:04 AM
Unregistered

No one owes us a living...no one cares, maybe not even yr family.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you have really no choice, then become a taxi / Grab / GoJek driver. At least you can put food on the table and pay your mortgage.

Don't just waste your time complaining. Take action.

If you can't afford to pay for your mortgage, then downgrade to a smaller flat and pay in full.

No one owes us a living.
Or better yet, do an internship. Target those companies which you do not mind joining full-time, or just apply for internships widely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat25 View Post
I am single and dependant on parents and motivation for me comes from advice from people, friends and Internet sources that keeps my mind intact to never give up and apply for jobs. But still man being unemployed for 9 months and people say I never put effort.
Just keep on. Exercise to keep yourself positive, do courses, find internships, work part-time in a relevant field.

I took 8 months to secure a job, and i have a very high 2nd upper with a double major from a local uni, with two academic awards and 4 internships. Sometimes just a matter of luck, but those who prepare well are the most lucky.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:23 PM
Unregistered

Anyone works in BO? Do you feel little job satisfaction or fatigue after working there for years? Have you ventured out for other options?
Old 02-03-2019, 07:59 PM
Ambition

It is getting difficult to stay sane haha. Friends think there's something very wrong with my attitude because I'm very qualified. I can only conclude that Singapore is unforgiving, any gap above 3 months they are fast to condemn you. They worry that you are no longer hungry to work hard and grow.

I took 6 months to get PDVL, then my friends told me don't bother because they ended up giving back a lot of money to gahmen, as priority goes go taxi. Stupid things like, customer insist you to stop at a bus stop (only bus and taxi allowed, grab is not taxi) and customers stand at the taxi stand and demand you go there to pick-up (grab cannot) then customer complain all sorts of things like they waited forever for you (5 mins) the 1 person I know who is a full time with grab, basically apologizes the whole day to avoid problems and treats tea sessions as meeting friends.

On average gojek / grab earn $20 per hour. Minus rental and erp, might as well find $10 per hour temp job no worries sarman or accident, no stress to rush to customer in 10 mins.

Gahmen will never give PDVL a break, because their lousy taxi scheme low take up. Taxi is every country's standard retirement job that gahmen wants to give the impression that they are kind and helping you, when you are just slogging to pay the bills, solving transportation problem for the nation.

I agree, do internships. If you are under 30, you are still considered a young dog and able to learn tricks. Above 30 u sign up also low chance. You get in also, dept may not be willing to accept and groom you.

For people with good qualification and still stuck, maybe salary requirement too high, field not hiring, or could not click with the boss. Too many possibilities. Minus retail and hospitality, the only fields that require a degree I know are doing OK are construction, finance (everything money related), admin, some areas of engineering. The rest all demand 95% match with experience, salary under 4k.

I picked up cooking, I do part time jobs, I learnt how to repair everything in the house to save money, and I apply for work 2 hours daily.

Don't give up fellas. Push push push!
Old 06-03-2019, 08:34 PM
Verified Member

coolcat25 is on a distinguished road

btw i got a job offer as a frontline cso. it literally pains to see myself earn 1.7K when my friends earn thrice as that. whoever said degree open doors.. dont believe it. experience is the way to go