Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 30-05-2018, 12:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. From my own experiences with recruitment agents, I have learnt never to believe a single word they say until a written and signed offer comes along.

All these 'progress report' they share with you about how many rounds left, how well your interview was received, how many candidates competing all the way until the reason they give for rejection most of it is making up stuff on the spot.

At the end of the day these are 100% pure salesman, they will say whatever that is needed to keep you motivated and interested even if they know otherwise. Ultimately for them they are not the ones taking leave and time to go down for interview, if it doesn't work out you are just 1 out of 20 faceless people they coordinate for interview everyday.
whh agency was that, if i may ask

Old 04-06-2018, 03:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi People!
I left my previous company in March 2018. I thought i was lucky enough to start work on the 1st week of April as I almost got an offer. I was arranged to meet the company MD after I came back from my holiday and that will be the last step of the hiring process. Then I waited for few days with no reply from both the company HR and agent. This drag to the 3rd week of April, they finally get back and informed me that the company decided not to have additional headcount. I was so shocked that there is such thing happening. At the same time, from another company, the agent me the company interested in hiring me, and again I reached the last stage of the hiring process, then the agent told me that I have one competitor which was an internal referral. This makes me feel that the agent is wasting my time and irresponsible for not providing me with accurate information. Worst still, I had to make phone call to Hong Kong to get interview and pay the bill myself. That was all happening in April, and these 2 companies had wasted my whole of April. Then, I just started looking out for jobs aggressively just 2 weeks ago, I am very lucky to have scheduled interviews for the whole of last week with 2 x 2nd interviews, and there are 2 more interviews scheduled for next week. I really hope i could finally secured one out of the few. My savings dry up liaoz.

I am here to share my part, and at the same time, anybody can advise what should I do to impress the interviewer? Also, I'm always stuck with question like "why do you leave your previous job", how do you answer?
Did you leave your job cos of the false info that you will be hired ? Or you left without a job ? Usually, it is better to tell the truth about why you left your previous job. Nowadays, interviewers are also interested in why you left without securing another job first. So be prepared to answer such questions.
As for the agents, you should never 100% trust them unless you have already signed the letter of offer. They can just cook up some excuses as explanation as to why you are not selected. In fact, I am not sure why do we need third party to transmit messages to the interviewer. I too have gone through job seeking through agents but mostly no news from them. So far, I got all my full time jobs via direct applications and usually will be more successful than through agents.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:29 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy

Hi may I ask how's the job market for fresh diploma grads now?

Had been applying but heard no news leh

Old 16-06-2018, 06:26 PM

willbethere is on a distinguished road

For the people who are feeling down;
I'm not trying to show off but I'm just here to share my experience;

I was previously a private fresh grad. I've resigned from my previous job of around 7 years in one of the local bank in end Apr 18. I am going to be 29 this year so basically I sold my youth there. I am in the branch operations, not sales. The reason I left was because of the management system and double standards in promoting staff. I was promoted once to a manager and got stuck at that position for another 3 years. When I tendered, I planned to travel overseas for quite some time to rest and recharge myself. The higher mgmt tried to retain me by telling me to take advance leave and the leave i want (even going to unpaid leave) and offered me to internal transfer to head office to head a project / other departments, transfer to be one of the ED's secretary. While I recognised some of their efforts to retain me, even going to say that they will assure that I get the remuneration I deserve, and if I still don't like it, she promise to fully support whichever department I want to internal transfer to, and to give them a chance. It was a very hard choice as I basically slog my life off (12 hours per day x going 7 years) and on top of the KPIs, I also had to manage projects (on a daily basis), do events etc etc. It is not a time management issue, I had been multi tasking for 7 years and is regarded as a very fast person with very minimal errors. I was told that I've a better grading this year. I expected it to be good but in the end they dropped my grading to average grading, and promoted people who didnt do projects/ no significant KPs. All they can say is they really regret, sorry, please give me a chance. I tendered, they regretted but it was too late for them to make amends. I was completely worn out, depressed and almost immediately, I went overseas for a month. You'll see that kind of effect on me.

While I was serving my notice period of 1 month, I sent probably 10-20 resumes thereabout. I got called up and went for 3 interviews all related to banking/finance co before going overseas. 2 were from direct hire and 1 from agency. So, 1 didnt get back, 1 foreign private bank dropped me (although I tot it went okay) and lucky for me, I got the last one.
The last one who offered me is with a foreign bank (from an agency). The set up was a panel interview of 2 interviewers and 3 candidates. The 2 other candidates had related experience with private banks. We took turns to answer.

The most step-in-the-foot qn are:
- 'what's your reason in leaving your current job and joining them' - from what i see, dont ever comment too negatively about your current employer, they will not like to hear that (if they hire you, they surely wont want you to backstab about them to your future employers). We all know the reasons we quit but we should only answer practically and positively (wayang la); career progression, job specification etc.
- what's your reason for quitting without a job?
For mine, I told them 'I am going overseas for a month to recharge myself so that I can be more energetic and efficient when I start a new role. Most often, people quit only when they secure a new job. Its likely that they had to start immediately or within a few days and that is not wrong, although I believe that a well rested person can work better and adapt faster.' (It's risky to answer like this, you may come off as too confident. But the interviewers were impressed.)
- Not preparing your introduction and slapping yourself thereafter.
Another thing you must do is to prepare your introduction. It is directly linked to basic questions like 'where do you see yourself if 5 years time'. There was this candidate who said he's from this private bank, *throws in all the complicated banking jargons* and he's leading a team of few people. So when the interviewer asked, where do u see urself in 5 years time, he said, 'I'll be expecting to lead some people' and the interviewer replied 'aren't u already leading some people?'. He literally just stumbled and explained 'oh no la its actually guiding newer staff'. -.-

One of the interviewer was the Head of the Department and he literally just kamikazed.
Just to summarise, do some homework before your interview. Google on common questions and esp those tricky questions. Dont wait until you create a hole and then you jump in, u'll kill ur chance. There are plenty of examples and explanations on how to prepare yourself for interviews. Maybe youtube also has them idk. The agency who recommended this bank was also very efficient, the personnel called me and asked if I want to go down to their office to meet her so that she can guide me through the interview questions (Wah super effort) but I wasnt free as I was serving notice. Then she emailed me pdfs on just how to better prepare myself, including one on the profile on the interviewers. It was that thorough. Agency (8 letter word) starts with A, ends with N, go figure. Even if you dont have support from the agency, take initiative to do it yourself. Also, dont interrupt when the interviewer is talking (regardless of what kind of interview setups, it is just rude).

2-3 weeks ago while i was overseas, the interviewer who dropped me previously contacted me via whatsapp that she had another job available but is a 6-mth contract, however renewable as there are many projects ongoing. I really wanted to join because it is one of the top banks in the world but I rejected as they could only match my pay. Afew days back, one of the ED from my previous job asked if I'm still jobless and he offered me to join his team. The bank who offered me came back with a 20% increment and I accepted it and will be starting next month lol. This is not purely based on luck, so dont go saying that it is. When interviewers ask you questions, express interest and ask them some questions back (esp on the role itself, not pay/leave/benefits) when they say 'is there anything u wanna ask?', so they know you are equally keen and sincere in getting to know more.

I dont want you guys to think that not being able to find a job means you're not good or etc, but really, every interview is a chance for you to learn. Be positive. Join a bank, do branch operations, teller/ executive/ officer etc, there will definitely be jobs for you. Dont worry about contract jobs either, they will either convert you to perm or renew you, or you can simply move to another contract job with EVEN MORE related experience (foreign banks have the tendency to give contract jobs as they want to know ur capabilities before converting you). No matter what, if it's related work, there is experience. So what is there really stopping you? Worrying too much will only delay yourself and then you will regret later. Dont be too picky too, sometimes we just have to tolerate the hard stuff first then we can go up.

be positive guys!
Old 16-06-2018, 06:36 PM
Unregistered

Hi, what if i start working for 5months and I would want to jump some somewhere else. Is it recommended? I would want to jump to my "goal" and not wait any longer as my current job does not provide me the experience i need

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 16-06-2018, 08:39 PM

willbethere is on a distinguished road

what are you working as now, and what kind of role are you wanting to go into?

I would not advise you to change at the moment as you may be labelled as a job hopper, and employers will ask you 'why do you intend to change jobs when you are still so new in ur current job'. Until you have a good answer to it, you should not change.

Still a min. of 6 months is required. Anything less than that will not look good in your resume regardless whether the role is related, even with 6 months there isnt going to be increment because it does not qualify for increment. Only market rate.

Do not say like 'you're not interested in ur current job but thats the only offer etc'. No hiring manager will want to hear that. Stand in your hiring manager point of view and you will understand. Do your homework, google on tricky interview questions and situations like yours. There are actually plenty, you just have to turn some rounds to smoke through. It's quite easy, but dont expect people to feed you with answers, you have to be comfortable with your own answer. Positivity is always key, just dont answer immediately without thinking it through.

Old 24-06-2018, 10:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbethere View Post
what are you working as now, and what kind of role are you wanting to go into?

I would not advise you to change at the moment as you may be labelled as a job hopper, and employers will ask you 'why do you intend to change jobs when you are still so new in ur current job'. Until you have a good answer to it, you should not change.

Still a min. of 6 months is required. Anything less than that will not look good in your resume regardless whether the role is related, even with 6 months there isnt going to be increment because it does not qualify for increment. Only market rate.

Do not say like 'you're not interested in ur current job but thats the only offer etc'. No hiring manager will want to hear that. Stand in your hiring manager point of view and you will understand. Do your homework, google on tricky interview questions and situations like yours. There are actually plenty, you just have to turn some rounds to smoke through. It's quite easy, but dont expect people to feed you with answers, you have to be comfortable with your own answer. Positivity is always key, just dont answer immediately without thinking it through.
click apply
click submit
click and click
until wan to give up
Old 24-06-2018, 12:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
click apply
click submit
click and click
until wan to give up
Don't give up man. Keep trying, even one application a day will do and better than nothing, as long as you don't stop. We are all facing the same thing. Nowadays understandably harder to get job. Jiayou.
Old 24-06-2018, 04:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Don't give up man. Keep trying, even one application a day will do and better than nothing, as long as you don't stop. We are all facing the same thing. Nowadays understandably harder to get job. Jiayou.
It gets discouraging as more apps are submitted and yet no news
Demoralise until adjust starting pay till significant cut yet no news either
Old 24-06-2018, 04:29 PM
Unregistered

You can go for contract jobs. Or you can drive grab.