Anyone jobless for a long time before? - Page 171 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 20-02-2018, 08:12 AM
Unregistered

Default jobless for 4 months before.

i have been jobless for 4 months before.
i made a decision to leave my first job after 6 months in 2010 as the supervisor is giving me a horrid time without a good training.
for 4 months i could not find any job, my savings left $200. I was in a situation where i dun have much experience, skills, training and the competition in the market is so tough then.

In the end, i was lucky and got accepted in my 2nd job with a $2,500 pay . The environment, colleagues and supervisors treat me very well.

8 years on in my 4th job. i found that we need to develop skills and networking. I kept getting credentials along the way as i feel that we need to have value to be employed,

Old 20-02-2018, 03:26 PM
Unregistered

fresh grad since last year Sep... local degree biz 2nd lowers =(

dam sians

Old 20-02-2018, 08:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
fresh grad since last year Sep... local degree biz 2nd lowers =(

dam sians
Is it general business or accountancy? Is there really no job around, or are you picky?

Old 21-02-2018, 11:47 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Is it general business or accountancy? Is there really no job around, or are you picky?
not surprising. my friend grad in last May with local engineering degree and 2nd upper got his first job only in Dec.

that being said, i think there is a thin fine line between picky and undervaluing oneself.
Old 21-02-2018, 05:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
not surprising. my friend grad in last May with local engineering degree and 2nd upper got his first job only in Dec.

that being said, i think there is a thin fine line between picky and undervaluing oneself.
The problem in sg is the market value of a job seeker drops for every extra month he/she stays jobless. For e.g. if you just graduate with 2nd class honors from local uni, asking for 3.5k sounds reasonable.

However after 12 months of unemployment, the same grad will be laughed at by many employers if he/she puts the same 3.5k as expected salary. By then, if can get an offer of 3k already consider lucky.
Old 21-02-2018, 05:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
General Business (marketing), wasn't able to get finance (easier to find jobs)

IIRC of jobs require good hons i.e 2nd uppers, 2nd lowers = most likely auto rejection

Old 25-02-2018, 06:59 PM
Unregistered

It is quite tough for biz grads. They are competing with both male and female working population, and foreigner talents.
In Engineering and construction, there is lesser females thus slightly lesser competition.
Old 27-02-2018, 04:06 PM
Unregistered

Smile

Quote:
No nothing.

eat
sleep
surf net
job search
regretting leaving my job as did not expect market to be this bad.

actually i can sustain without job for a while. but its depressing during this period of non productivity and directionless...

but it will look bad on resume and lessen the chances of getting a good job, esp for my age..

haizz ....

Hi guys new to this forum

Am sailing on the same boat as many of you here

Was 25 when I resigned from the govt sector. Left due to terrible environment and dirty politics. Got back stabbed by a colleague working under me. And boss, no need to say haha.

Mental and physical health affected so badly that I was referred to counselling but didn't go cos of work and studies. I had another colleague who was gg for counselling too so you can imagine my workplace. I was doing my part time degree at that time and I flopped 4 modules and deferred after which cos I was emotionally and mentally drained by all the **** at work. And most importantly cos, I used to spend all my weekends doing office work at home. On weekdays, I used to sleep past 2am doing excess office work at home. No time to do my school work, hence grades went down.

Went thru hell at work, reputation, self esteem, confidence all collapsed as I got into the mindset that I was unproductive and served no purpose in the office as I wasn't respected due to my absence at work which was caused by work itself. To the point I landed in A&E cos of anxiety and depression.

That was the pushing point for me to resign as I realized its no longer worth it. But I must say, my higher management was really supportive and empathised with me. But I had no choice cos the team I worked with was the killer.

So yeah, I resigned in Oct 2016 and it was a sense of immense relief. But it didn't last long. Starting Feb 2017, I've been applying jobs and I got to realise the market was even more terrible than last time, pay is peanuts. My Degree has been on halt since and thus I'm only offered Diploma or O level pay which is pathetic compared to my $2k plus pay in govt. Learned to suck it up and I've lost count on how many hundreds of jobs i applied, confirm more than 500 at least in the last one year (2017).

Been called for interviews here n there, which is less than 10. That too for contract short term jobs, perm ones maybe one or two and the job scope is not suited to my experience and liking. I've missed out temp job offers cos the pay was too too low. I had believed at tat time if I could wait longer I can land perm roles but not true.

It's been 16 mths now and I haven't gotten a job be it perm or contract. Recruitment agencies are also hopeless cos once they know ur market hit rate they don't bother calling you.

Its been a hell ride but with good moments and experiences too. And I'm grateful for all that I've learnt. - tolerant with insults and perserverance.

Hoping to see the light soon. I feel better to be able to share about me to yall as I believe you can relate and not judge unlike our circles.

All the best to everyone of us looking for a job.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:11 AM

jobseeker1314 is on a distinguished road

Hi guys new to this forum

same ship with many of u, left due to too many foreigners, politics, even mgment aso foreigners from all walks of life, as they bring their culture here, toxic environment, colleagues, favoritism, critics accusations, no training and upgrading opportunities, faces many challenges, e.g. lack of manpower, overwork and underpay, feel so helpless and gradually developed depression and anxiety, sometimes hide in toilet and cry, then health issues start to occur, e.g. migraines due to long working hours, lack of sleep, stressful situations, dizziness and even women cycle stopped completely,
then one day, when someone talk to me, i was totally left in a daze, slow response and really in a burn out state, and i haben even talk abt family issues, adding on day to day family chores, no one can help also except myself,

i told myself i just want to exit this vicious cycle, once and for all...i rather invest the time and money to recover my health back first and start find job slowly... diff pp have their stories to tell, not easy to stay in SG,
Nowsadays interviews are getting more tougher as compared to past 5 years, i believe gd jobs are hard to find, but when one door closes, another door will open for you,
Stay positive...
Old 01-03-2018, 08:58 AM
Unregistered

Graduated from local uni with honours 2.1 and found a contract job in the oil&gas with a pathetic pay of 2.4 during probation. My salary was then increased to 2.6 after 3months of probation. I joined because of the brand of the company and thought that it would be easy to convert to perm after a few years.. I am in this company for about 3years and for increment the max they will go is only 3%. In this industry, overtime pay is given to contract staffs regardless of how high your salary is so practically most of them work overtime for the money. After 5pm and during weekends, most of them are just lazing around clocking ot pay.

For my case im fortunate enough to still hold a job but i have been searching for a job since early 2017 till now. I apply to jobs every single day and received about 10 interviews. Recently I just went through 2 rounds of interview at a gov company(my dream job to be working in CS), the 2nd round was shortlisted to 4 candidate so my chances of being selected was narrowed to 25%. Few days ago, I received a rejected email from Career@gov and I was feeling so exhausted and defeated... The feeling of getting the job bcus you have done well and not getting it, it just feels horrible..

I am not gonna let this hinder my career path and I am going to take on toastmasters and other relevant courses to further improve my career.. so bros and sis here, dont give up!! Press on! Best of luck!