Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 12-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
please ask a few intellectual questions instead of saying nothing to ask.

This shows the employer that you are very keen to contribute to the organization.

Question wise, please go think about it yourself. Its your job, not our job to spoonfeed you
If I can think of any 'intellectual' qn to ask, I won't be asking here. That is the reason why I want to find out. I do not want to ask stupid qn and might jeopardize my chance of getting employed. You get it ?

Old 12-05-2014, 10:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by floralpeace View Post
Usually I asked hows the working culture like and what r some of the challenges in work. Actually thus question is for urself to know the company before joining.
Thanks for your reply. Some things to ponder over here.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:05 PM
Unregistered

Well... sometimes I don't even know what to ask because the interviewer has told me what I want to know like company culture and challenges.

Instead of asking qns, I will just comment on what they have just said, hoping to buy some time to think of what qns to ask and to probe new topics. U can make it into a discussion.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:23 PM

floralpeace is on a distinguished road

Can also ask wad r the qualities u think essential to be successful in this job.
See wad skills they nd n whether u can provide.
Old 15-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Unregistered

Employer told me they dont know whether they can hire me or not?I used to work in government sector years ago , currently found a job in a law firm. After signing the appt letter, they told me as I was working as a civil servant before, they do not know whether can hire me or not and need to do checking. What should I do, should I leave on my own accord ? Should I ask them to reconsider hiring me and void the appt letter which I just signed ?
Old 19-05-2014, 10:06 AM
Unregistered

Default Job hopeful

Hi Bro,
I had been searching for new jobs,a new career for the past 7 years, but either no reply or rejected, perhaps i think due to age(38) and also being a local.... .... donno whether will make it in sales or not, not much sales experience....please advice,,,,

thanks,
CH
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelangrelive View Post
Hi all
After looking at the whole thread, I am thinking whether i am luckier or worse.

So here is my story.
Qualification: Diploma
Family Commitment: 3 room HDB, a 6 years old son

1st job: Civil Servant for 5 years
Salary: $2800
Reasons for leaving: Politics and policy

2nd Job: a specailised language interpreter for 2 years (niche market in singapore)
Salary: $2500
Reasons for leaving: Politics and progressions

3rd Job: Property Executive in charge of 7 to 10 buildings for 1 years
Salary: $2700
Reasons for leaving: long working hours and huge work loads, always have night meeting

4th Job: Direct Salary in a outsource sales and marketing company for a charity for 6 months
Salary: Commission based (less than $1000 in a month) .
Reasons for leaving: Not achieving sales target

5th Job: Sales Executive for a printing company for 1 week
Salary: Basic ($1000) + High Commission
Reasons for leaving: Find a job with Basic pay with my intern company

6th Job: Field Officer for a year
Salary: $1800
Reasons for leaving (which is now): Taking a risk in a no basic but high commission job

Part time job: Part Time Distributor for one ISP (never cheong much, in a month can have 1 sale as the lowest, the highest will be 47 sales)
Salary: Full commission with passive income every month (lowest

Leaving my 6th Job to focus on the part time distributor for ISP
Looking for people who are sharing the same interest with me to team up.
Salary: Full Commission (Aiming at $5k a month if i work hard enough)

All these are my career history, I realised that i am was job hopping for the past 10 years, but only now i realised that my interest and forte is in Sales especially IT Sales.

Some of my current colleagues are asking me why i am leaving my job when the econ is so bad and turning worse. I told them that my character is inclined towards sales and working for myself.

So i do not know whether I am lucky or worse.

P.S. To those who are jobless now and want to try something now or those who are looking for a job to tide over this period of time, if you are interested, maybe i have something that can help you for the time being. PM me.

Old 30-05-2014, 01:12 AM
Unregistered

Been jobless for 6 months already.
29, nus ba.

Tried applying on sites like jobs db, jobs central, job street, and many other sites, and many local and overseas companies career sites.

Got one offer so far thru an small time agency, but they manipulated the contract terms against my favour, I looked hard and clear and decided to drop the offer. One of the things they did was to change the contract from 12 to 8 months and increase the penalty for breaking the bond. And many other limitations which I will not mention.

I am feeling restless, tired. I spent so much of my savings but I have enough to last til the end of the year if I have to.

I don't know what I should do, I have set a date on 1st June to apply for part time work at recruit express. Since no bloody company want to hire me.
Old 31-05-2014, 11:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
29, nus ba.

Tried applying on sites like jobs db, jobs central, job street, and many other sites, and many local and overseas companies career sites.

Got one offer so far thru an small time agency, but they manipulated the contract terms against my favour, I looked hard and clear and decided to drop the offer. One of the things they did was to change the contract from 12 to 8 months and increase the penalty for breaking the bond. And many other limitations which I will not mention.

I am feeling restless, tired. I spent so much of my savings but I have enough to last til the end of the year if I have to.

I don't know what I should do, I have set a date on 1st June to apply for part time work at recruit express. Since no bloody company want to hire me.
what job do you want? hospitals are looking for jobs. many hospitals coming up and they need stuff.

what were you doing last time? would you settle for a senior exec post or you only want managerial ones.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
29, nus ba.

Me too. I also been jobless for 8 months. Sent countless of applications. Can understand how you feel. This period is perhaps the worst when new graduates enter the job market as well.
Old 15-06-2014, 09:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
what job do you want? hospitals are looking for jobs. many hospitals coming up and they need stuff.

what were you doing last time? would you settle for a senior exec post or you only want managerial ones.
I am looking for something between a junior and a senior executive. Like a mid-level kind of thing.

I have sent another 30 resumes over 2 days. Lets watch and see.

Just went for an interview 2 days ago, and the person thought I was over-qualified.
The position only required a diploma and it is for a primary school ICT coordinator.
Pay is 1800. I don't mind doing this job, but the person thought I may decide to quit simply because I have a slightly better resume. Employers need to realise that there are people who are desperate already.