Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Anyone jobless for a long time before? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2271-anyone-jobless-long-time-before.html)

Unregistered 24-03-2022 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurker (Post 208402)
Managed to get quite a good amount of interviews for the past 6 mths and the last 3 interviews being big mncs and a big local startup.... still no luck in getting a job.

coming to 3 years soon of being jobless. i guess it's the end for me already. Got forced to resign by my ex company in late 2018. Jobless for 6 mths until a company poached me and got hired, thinking I was 'saved'. Company turned out to be a hellhole that I've seen newcomers walk out of the office 2 hours after they joined. Left after 3 months and have been jobless since. I took up some freelance and part-time in between but the money is good enough for my meals for a few months.

i try not to update my situation to my close friends cos everytime they ask about it, they would say 'try another industry, don't always apply to the same kind of job'. When you tell them you have tried other industries, they tell you 'you never apply enough'. I'd rather not say anything cos they have a job, they don't know what it's like to be jobless.

Who is also in the same boat as me?

Yeah thats good . dont tell your friends. Many of them "friends" give useless advice and want to compare or secretly see you suffer.

Unregistered 24-03-2022 08:40 PM

Sinkie not hungry enuff

Blueberry 29-03-2022 11:49 AM

Quote:

Managed to get quite a good amount of interviews for the past 6 mths and the last 3 interviews being big mncs and a big local startup.... still no luck in getting a job.

coming to 3 years soon of being jobless. i guess it's the end for me already. Got forced to resign by my ex company in late 2018. Jobless for 6 mths until a company poached me and got hired, thinking I was 'saved'. Company turned out to be a hellhole that I've seen newcomers walk out of the office 2 hours after they joined. Left after 3 months and have been jobless since. I took up some freelance and part-time in between but the money is good enough for my meals for a few months.

i try not to update my situation to my close friends cos everytime they ask about it, they would say 'try another industry, don't always apply to the same kind of job'. When you tell them you have tried other industries, they tell you 'you never apply enough'. I'd rather not say anything cos they have a job, they don't know what it's like to be jobless.

In my addition to my previous post, to say your friends do not know what it is like to be jobless is not accurate. People don't born to have a job waiting for them when they grow up. Sure they did experience a jobless gap before they land themselves in their current job.

To say they don't know how it is like to be jobless for soooo long like you and that is true.

So the qn is why are you jobless for soooooooooooo long ?

Unregistered 29-03-2022 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueberry (Post 211043)
In my addition to my previous post, to say your friends do not know what it is like to be jobless is not accurate. People don't born to have a job waiting for them when they grow up. Sure they did experience a jobless gap before they land themselves in their current job.

To say they don't know how it is like to be jobless for soooo long like you and that is true.

So the qn is why are you jobless for soooooooooooo long ?

usually its a combination of self affliction and external situation. not one or the other exclusively.

Unregistered 29-03-2022 02:40 PM

being jobless in Singapore is quite common, Singaporeans are naturally weak in a lot of things. on top of that we have this sinkie pwn sinkie culture, no surprise we're always behind everyone in everything.

alex86 31-03-2022 02:16 PM

Quote:

I feel you bro. I was jobless after graduating from uni in 2009, it took me a year to land a job after hundreds of resumes sent, 10-20 failed interviews. The worst interview that I had was when a guy asked me how many line of C codes that I wrote in my final year project. I was a little boy back then and said maybe hundred lines or something. Then he looked at my transcript and said ABAB somethings and said I lacked of perspective (to a little boy who was jobless for months). Not sure what was the reason, I saw a smile on his face, and he failed me later. But thanks to him, I know how fast I can type in programming language after that and been improving it. :D The "lack of perspective" part encouraged me tried more and failed more. I took my courage to hang out with friends during weekend and said I need help, any help would be appreciated. They gradually stop saying sh*t and started to help with information and encouragement. The first job that I had was from referral, not the best, but better than nothing. There is always a way out in life, I do hope the best for you.

Unregistered 06-04-2022 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex86 (Post 211431)
I feel you bro. I was jobless after graduating from uni in 2009, it took me a year to land a job after hundreds of resumes sent, 10-20 failed interviews. The worst interview that I had was when a guy asked me how many line of C codes that I wrote in my final year project. I was a little boy back then and said maybe hundred lines or something. Then he looked at my transcript and said ABAB somethings and said I lacked of perspective (to a little boy who was jobless for months). Not sure what was the reason, I saw a smile on his face, and he failed me later. But thanks to him, I know how fast I can type in programming language after that and been improving it. :D The "lack of perspective" part encouraged me tried more and failed more. I took my courage to hang out with friends during weekend and said I need help, any help would be appreciated. They gradually stop saying sh*t and started to help with information and encouragement. The first job that I had was from referral, not the best, but better than nothing. There is always a way out in life, I do hope the best for you.

This is really inspiring. People out there who is still whining and crying no jobs want them should learn from you.

All those jobless ppl out here reading your post should feel ashamed. There really is no excuse. The only excuse is the jobless person himself/herself.

Unregistered 31-05-2022 04:15 AM

Gotten a contract job after uni grad, but i did not liked the office desk bound job. Quit and now doing logistic contract job at a lower pay. I rather be moving around than be sitting for long hours.

Unregistered 07-06-2022 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 219765)
Gotten a contract job after uni grad, but i did not liked the office desk bound job. Quit and now doing logistic contract job at a lower pay. I rather be moving around than be sitting for long hours.

As long as you are happy it doesn't matter desk bound or not.

Unregistered 07-06-2022 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 211082)
being jobless in Singapore is quite common, Singaporeans are naturally weak in a lot of things. on top of that we have this sinkie pwn sinkie culture, no surprise we're always behind everyone in everything.

It isn't common, in fact it is very rare. According to the stats it's only a few percent (like 2 or 5% that kind) that be jobless.