Anyone jobless for a long time before? - Page 318 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #3171 (permalink)  
Old 24-01-2022, 02:03 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godframe View Post
Damn depressed wor. But Garment really double standard lo. On one hand encourage us go take degree. on other hand they select only second upper to 1st class honors and mostly scholars easy to get into civil service sectors.

Man in the street like us with only passed degree or merit stands very low chance getting into civil service especially during this pandemic. Most of my friends with local U passed degree also got instant rejection without making it to panel interview. All depressed n low moral like us.

Ya the lowest I can go is 2.5k with no exp.

Any feed back on interview? is 30 to 35mins interview considered good? Some interviewers were kind of strict with nearly 0 smiling expression. And ask a lot of questions such as why I left the previous company. Then end with the session will notify me in 2 weeks if im selected. After I heard this sentence I roughly know I nv impress them and high chance will unsuccessful after 2 weeks. What you think? If never get think i will just give up on applying for civil service. Im currently going 34 to 35 soon.

Damn sian haiz.
Totally can feel you. When I was jobless, I panic and a cloud of depressive feeling encompass me everyday until I got a job. I keep myself busy by watching tv, doing things that I wanted to do when I was on leave (when still employed).

Have to keep yourself occupied. Try not to let joblessness lead you to depression. You are not even 40 years old. Still big chance. Just keep sending and attending interviews. Along the way, you learn how to tackle the questions.

Reply With Quote
  #3172 (permalink)  
Old 24-01-2022, 04:31 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godframe View Post
Damn depressed wor. But Garment really double standard lo. On one hand encourage us go take degree. on other hand they select only second upper to 1st class honors and mostly scholars easy to get into civil service sectors.

Man in the street like us with only passed degree or merit stands very low chance getting into civil service especially during this pandemic. Most of my friends with local U passed degree also got instant rejection without making it to panel interview. All depressed n low moral like us.

Ya the lowest I can go is 2.5k with no exp.

Any feed back on interview? is 30 to 35mins interview considered good? Some interviewers were kind of strict with nearly 0 smiling expression. And ask a lot of questions such as why I left the previous company. Then end with the session will notify me in 2 weeks if im selected. After I heard this sentence I roughly know I nv impress them and high chance will unsuccessful after 2 weeks. What you think? If never get think i will just give up on applying for civil service. Im currently going 34 to 35 soon.

Damn sian haiz.
Civil service is highly competitive esp in this pandemic era. If you are just some average Joe with average edu level, the chances are slim. You need to expand your search not just civil service. Sometimes interviewers give out the wrong signals or candidates interpret as having a 'successful' interview. I have been through some 'look like got high chance' interviews and walked off with a satisfied smile on my face only to realise the silence thereafter.

There was one interview I went and the interviewer keep his positive vibes throughout and made me feel like he would choose me. Then no news.

Very demoralising. Maybe they really have other candidates to review before they make the decision.

The only thing I console myself is that someone has a more attractive chip than me so they choose him. Not because I am incompetent. Just like you are buying apple in the supermarket. So many to choose from. This apple look fresh but that apple look more juicy. Maybe I choose the juicy one cos I love apple juice more.

Literally the interviewers are spoilt for choices. So don't bash yourself up for not getting the job.

Keep applying and don't just in one sector.

Reply With Quote
  #3173 (permalink)  
Old 24-01-2022, 05:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Civil service is highly competitive esp in this pandemic era. If you are just some average Joe with average edu level, the chances are slim. You need to expand your search not just civil service. Sometimes interviewers give out the wrong signals or candidates interpret as having a 'successful' interview. I have been through some 'look like got high chance' interviews and walked off with a satisfied smile on my face only to realise the silence thereafter.

There was one interview I went and the interviewer keep his positive vibes throughout and made me feel like he would choose me. Then no news.

Very demoralising. Maybe they really have other candidates to review before they make the decision.

The only thing I console myself is that someone has a more attractive chip than me so they choose him. Not because I am incompetent. Just like you are buying apple in the supermarket. So many to choose from. This apple look fresh but that apple look more juicy. Maybe I choose the juicy one cos I love apple juice more.

Literally the interviewers are spoilt for choices. So don't bash yourself up for not getting the job.

Keep applying and don't just in one sector.
yes just keep trying

Reply With Quote
  #3174 (permalink)  
Old 24-01-2022, 05:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 35
Godframe is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Civil service is highly competitive esp in this pandemic era. If you are just some average Joe with average edu level, the chances are slim. You need to expand your search not just civil service. Sometimes interviewers give out the wrong signals or candidates interpret as having a 'successful' interview. I have been through some 'look like got high chance' interviews and walked off with a satisfied smile on my face only to realise the silence thereafter.

There was one interview I went and the interviewer keep his positive vibes throughout and made me feel like he would choose me. Then no news.

Very demoralising. Maybe they really have other candidates to review before they make the decision.

The only thing I console myself is that someone has a more attractive chip than me so they choose him. Not because I am incompetent. Just like you are buying apple in the supermarket. So many to choose from. This apple look fresh but that apple look more juicy. Maybe I choose the juicy one cos I love apple juice more.

Literally the interviewers are spoilt for choices. So don't bash yourself up for not getting the job.

Keep applying and don't just in one sector.
Yea i was from the force last time. but regretted deeply to resigned to study. nv expect pandemic to hit. Applied almost all inspector position twice all gg. Now trying hard to apply for JO to go back my old position. till now no use. There are some agency JO position I had applied and shorlisted me for interview, Guess they need manpower ba.

Damn stressss and depressed. I got one wife too from china but ltvp was declined by ica due to the reason I was jobless. Was shouted by the ica officer that do i have a job now a not. My concern now is to get a job for at least 3k mthly salary so that got the hope to apply ltvp for her again the next time she comes.
Reply With Quote
  #3175 (permalink)  
Old 24-01-2022, 05:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 35
Godframe is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Totally can feel you. When I was jobless, I panic and a cloud of depressive feeling encompass me everyday until I got a job. I keep myself busy by watching tv, doing things that I wanted to do when I was on leave (when still employed).

Have to keep yourself occupied. Try not to let joblessness lead you to depression. You are not even 40 years old. Still big chance. Just keep sending and attending interviews. Along the way, you learn how to tackle the questions.
But i often got too nervous and screw the interviews up. Thought i practiced quite hard for the interview. My peers in my age some already earning 10k to 20k per mth doing insurance and property agents. me felt like a loser sometimes when anxiety strikes and couldnt sleep at night. Waken up with cold sweat due to panic attack.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #3176 (permalink)  
Old 24-01-2022, 06:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godframe View Post
Damn depressed wor. But Garment really double standard lo. On one hand encourage us go take degree. on other hand they select only second upper to 1st class honors and mostly scholars easy to get into civil service sectors.

Man in the street like us with only passed degree or merit stands very low chance getting into civil service especially during this pandemic. Most of my friends with local U passed degree also got instant rejection without making it to panel interview. All depressed n low moral like us.

Ya the lowest I can go is 2.5k with no exp.

Any feed back on interview? is 30 to 35mins interview considered good? Some interviewers were kind of strict with nearly 0 smiling expression. And ask a lot of questions such as why I left the previous company. Then end with the session will notify me in 2 weeks if im selected. After I heard this sentence I roughly know I nv impress them and high chance will unsuccessful after 2 weeks. What you think? If never get think i will just give up on applying for civil service. Im currently going 34 to 35 soon.

Damn sian haiz.
Where did you get your degree? I am in the same position with a pass degree at local U. Can only work in private sector as public sector did not even give me an interview opportunity before. Was told even squeeze into public sector, career progression is slow.
Reply With Quote

  #3177 (permalink)  
Old 24-01-2022, 06:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godframe View Post
Damn depressed wor. But Garment really double standard lo. On one hand encourage us go take degree. on other hand they select only second upper to 1st class honors and mostly scholars easy to get into civil service sectors.

Man in the street like us with only passed degree or merit stands very low chance getting into civil service especially during this pandemic. Most of my friends with local U passed degree also got instant rejection without making it to panel interview. All depressed n low moral like us.

Ya the lowest I can go is 2.5k with no exp.

Any feed back on interview? is 30 to 35mins interview considered good? Some interviewers were kind of strict with nearly 0 smiling expression. And ask a lot of questions such as why I left the previous company. Then end with the session will notify me in 2 weeks if im selected. After I heard this sentence I roughly know I nv impress them and high chance will unsuccessful after 2 weeks. What you think? If never get think i will just give up on applying for civil service. Im currently going 34 to 35 soon.

Damn sian haiz.
The reason is quite simple. Govt hiring process damnn long. If your degree/academics qualifications cui, HR cannot give you good salary like your colleagues. And you'll do the same job as your colleagues. Many people get resentful esp if they do the same job/have same scope but pay is $1700~ lesser than their FCH honours degree colleague. And resentful means they quit lor. HR have to go through hiring process again. Mahan. Your pay doesn't affect their bonuses or profits. Why not just hire another FCH graduate who can command similar pay as his/her peers and is less likely to quit and become resentful?

Food for thought. I am not a degree holder but I do more work than the degree holder (non-fch) in my department. I am very knowledgeable in excel. Fortunately OT pay allows me to almost reach her pay grade although I missed by a few hundreds. If it wasn't for that, I would have gone to the private sector and become some counter clerk. And to replace me, HR have to go through another long round of tedious hiring process. Might not even find someone to replace me 100% looking at the lack of effort my colleagues put in to learning Excel.
Reply With Quote
  #3178 (permalink)  
Old 24-01-2022, 06:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 35
Godframe is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Where did you get your degree? I am in the same position with a pass degree at local U. Can only work in private sector as public sector did not even give me an interview opportunity before. Was told even squeeze into public sector, career progression is slow.
Mine from SUSS. Ya i got friends local U with passed degree. Applied many gov sectors. Instant rejection or unsuccessful after few months. who told u career progression is slow? Not sure true wor. Can get in is good enough. of course cannot compare to scholars. in term of increments got year end bonus depending of economy, can up to 3 mths of yr salary. mid year bonus and performance bonus depending on yr grade also can up to 3 mths of yr salary.

I graduated in Dec 2021. For the first 7 mths of 2021 i only applied for gov civil service. All wiped out. Then no bian i go try apo ended up not my cup of tea. too shag. Then now quite despo for jobs. Trying to change make career switch. Ended up not easy. The amount of applicants for each job really too high. So now i really pray sibei hard these 2 weeks the panel interviews i went hopefully the end result is successful.
Reply With Quote
  #3179 (permalink)  
Old 24-01-2022, 07:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Have u guys considered work-study diplomas? So many routes out there! Try harder! Gov Sibei good already. 6 years ago I started with nothing, if not for gov various support I confirm ended up back in e street. If I can turn my life around, y’all sure can la
Reply With Quote
  #3180 (permalink)  
Old 24-01-2022, 10:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godframe View Post
Mine from SUSS. Ya i got friends local U with passed degree. Applied many gov sectors. Instant rejection or unsuccessful after few months. who told u career progression is slow? Not sure true wor. Can get in is good enough. of course cannot compare to scholars. in term of increments got year end bonus depending of economy, can up to 3 mths of yr salary. mid year bonus and performance bonus depending on yr grade also can up to 3 mths of yr salary.

I graduated in Dec 2021. For the first 7 mths of 2021 i only applied for gov civil service. All wiped out. Then no bian i go try apo ended up not my cup of tea. too shag. Then now quite despo for jobs. Trying to change make career switch. Ended up not easy. The amount of applicants for each job really too high. So now i really pray sibei hard these 2 weeks the panel interviews i went hopefully the end result is successful.
Your grades sucks can don't blame others?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jobless Graduates Should Consider SAF Salary.sg Income and Jobs 63 06-10-2021 07:32 PM
Our Poll Results: 45% Fresh Graduates Jobless Salary.sg Income and Jobs 48 01-07-2020 03:43 PM
How long should i work here? dryden28 Income and Jobs 6 31-08-2010 04:27 PM
65,400 Jobless in September, will be Significantly More Salary.sg Income and Jobs 0 16-01-2009 05:38 PM
Bank executives work long hours Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 25-05-2008 03:02 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,451 Replies, 7,012,667 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
343 Replies, 391,994 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,479 Replies, 12,766,844 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,240 Replies, 3,895,399 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,194 Replies, 1,130,393 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
17,246 Replies, 5,303,229 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
734 Replies, 572,306 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,279 Replies, 10,660,213 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,885 Replies, 1,551,470 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,902 Replies, 1,502,778 Views
CIMB Apprentice 2024 ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 558 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,486 Replies, 3,552,135 Views
SEA (Garena) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
69 Replies, 97,017 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,846 Replies, 2,479,999 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,497 Replies, 2,490,554 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,320 Replies, 673,721 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
835 Replies, 445,066 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
897 Replies, 425,427 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
777 Replies, 453,660 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
430 Replies, 516,732 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
145 Replies, 55,562 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,860 Replies, 1,260,990 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,868 Replies, 1,622,203 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,992 Replies, 4,822,676 Views
INL Agency? Brand Communication...
1 Replies, 135 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,938 Replies, 2,961,781 Views
Civil Service Current Estimated... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
191 Replies, 324,476 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,603 Replies, 1,442,077 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
184 Replies, 236,199 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,174 Replies, 666,481 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2