Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 11-07-2019, 02:53 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
got offered uob cso role. not sure if i want to take it. can anyone share their experiences within this role? uob alexandra
may have to work with many pinoys and foreigners

Old 11-07-2019, 09:52 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
i am a civil servant at MFA, does that counts as international exp? will MNC that requires international experience take me?
Pretty sure this is a troll... but...the answer is yes, especially for govt liaison/international policy roles. Companies i know for certain has roles like this? Facebook, Google, Fedex, Interpol SG.... and im sure many more

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 11-07-2019, 09:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
i guess that would be the practical thing to do, problem is i stayed in my last job for only 5 months before quitting, and I am afraid of making another rash mistake and be stuck with it for the next few years
Think you should give yourself a deadline of sorts, especially if you're going to reject this offer.

If you don't get anything you like within [xx] months (however long you can survive without a job), then you'll take whatever comes your way.

Nice compromise between giving yourself a chance and well...survival.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexazh1989 View Post
Congrats on the new job! If I may ask, what was the reason you left and how did you cope during these 2 months?
I was in sales and didn't like it. Too stressful for me. In fact I was not working for 6 months but dilly dally until the 4th month then decided to hunt for a new job. I was surviving on my recurring commission and I cashed out some of my past saving plans. Luckily for my emergency fund which allowed me to be picky if not will not be able to survive for 6 months too and would have taken up any job out of desperation.

I understand everyone's pain of being jobless. Everyday wake up scroll job portals and wait for calls. Life was so meaningless watching bank depleting and don't dare to spend money.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
my boss keep making sexual remarks and one day he just showed his dick on me. i was so scared that I quit.
I am the original poster and this reply was not by me. Zzz. It's really irritating to have such people in this forum! Stop sexualizing everything in a serious forum!
Old 11-07-2019, 03:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I am the original poster and this reply was not by me. Zzz. It's really irritating to have such people in this forum! Stop sexualizing everything in a serious forum!

Don't worry. It is kinda obvious theres 1 or 2 horny idiots with too much time on their hands in this forum. Just ignore and look at posts with serious and relevant replies.

Anw, not bad you managed to get many job offers within 2 months of jobhunting and also, without exp as you mentioned. What industry and position if you dont mind me asking?

Old 11-07-2019, 03:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Don't worry. It is kinda obvious theres 1 or 2 horny idiots with too much time on their hands in this forum. Just ignore and look at posts with serious and relevant replies.

Anw, not bad you managed to get many job offers within 2 months of jobhunting and also, without exp as you mentioned. What industry and position if you dont mind me asking?
It's a marketing and BD role and took me really long to secure an interview without experience. I applied many jobs everyday, total of 200plus over 2 months and even modified my resume a few times. The rest of the offers are related to my previous industry which I am not keen.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:57 PM
Unregistered

Do employers try to give u a lower pay if they know u are unemployed?
Do u hold your ground or take whatever it comes (if desperate)?
Old 11-07-2019, 04:52 PM
Verified Member

dexazh1989 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was in sales and didn't like it. Too stressful for me. In fact I was not working for 6 months but dilly dally until the 4th month then decided to hunt for a new job. I was surviving on my recurring commission and I cashed out some of my past saving plans. Luckily for my emergency fund which allowed me to be picky if not will not be able to survive for 6 months too and would have taken up any job out of desperation.

I understand everyone's pain of being jobless. Everyday wake up scroll job portals and wait for calls. Life was so meaningless watching bank depleting and don't dare to spend money.
yes i get that feeling, any advice on how to survive the emotional stress during this period? been feeling stressed out as my parents have been asking me about my job search, although my girlfriend is rather chill about it
Old 11-07-2019, 05:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexazh1989 View Post
yes i get that feeling, any advice on how to survive the emotional stress during this period? been feeling stressed out as my parents have been asking me about my job search, although my girlfriend is rather chill about it
I guess always make sure you have a backup plan and that will be a huge load of stress off. For myself, I know I can go back to my previous jobs easily so it's not the end of the world for me. But because I didn't want, I have to make sure I find a job before I'm left with no choice.

Give yourself a deadline based on how much your savings can last. You shouldn't be feeling "I don't know how long this will go on", that statement really makes you feel more down. I gave myself until August so at least there's a "goal" for me to run.

There was 2 weeks in June that was really dry with no calls but only online rejections despite actively applying and I was really quite stressed out. So I started reflecting why didn't I get any interview? I revamped my resume, put in valuable skills that will improve my chances and readjusted my expectations.

Also look for alternatives and open up to other industries. There are plenty of careers out there, is just whether you want or not. I actually applied to four different industries even though I have a preferred industry. But when you constantly have interview opportunities, you won't feel so empty and stressed daily because you know you have something to fall back on.

Lastly, be really prepared for your interview and do more than required. The more interviews I went, the more confident I became because it became repetitive. There are many employers who still value good attitude over experience.

All the best bro!