Anyone jobless for a long time before? - Page 242 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Anyone jobless for a long time before?

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #2411 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2019, 10:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No offence..a hiring manager who readily dismisses candidates who leave without a job is short sighted.
Agreed to disagree. Letís look at it this way, you have 400 resumes in front of you, the machine chooses 100 out of it (assuming that the one who left without a job get passed the algo, very rare).

Can you imagine what is your chance of getting an interview out of these 100 candidates? Zero, or <5% if you have some connections (referral, etc.). The reality is Singapore is not in shortage of talents, there are just so many foreigners wanting to start their careers here, they ask for lower pay while having few times better / more beautiful resume than yours.

When I was a fresh graduate many years back, I wondered why I only got 1 interview in average after sending out >10 tailored made resumes, now I get it, it is just how the hiring process works, whether you believe it or not.

Reply With Quote
  #2412 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2019, 10:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Mid 30s, currently jobless since March.

I was in a job for 1.5 years that went sour quickly in the last few months before i left. Even thou the other colleagues, salary and company were generally OK... the immediate circumstances i was in made leaving the only choice. That's all i'll reveal as there's no point in digging up past wrongdoings even if i'm not the one responsible for it.

I was lucky, or so it seem to have a referral from an ex-staff of another company in the same sector. Managed to ace the interview right away and contract signed right after i tender. I ended my 1.5 year job in Feb and started the new one right away. But life always has a way of turning out... not to my wildest imagination the new job which has a better pay and supposedly a better port-folio turned out to a mismatch in which i went through one of the most emotionally taunting period of my life. Once again, there's no point in digging up the past and that I've tried my best and understood that people, especially in the working world aren't always nice. I left the new job just 1 month within the probation period. I'm glad i didn't waste more time between myself and the company if it weren't a match.

I took around 1 to 1.5 months to get myself back together from the emotionally drained taunting last 2 jobs. It is until the stage where i told myself "**** it, i'll rather be jobless than this" when i see myself so stressed out that i could hardly breathe sometimes.

Had a couple of job opening for me in the first few months but i rejected them as i wasn't ready. I officially started applying for jobs mid May. Until now there was only 1 interview which i had to turn down due to a criteria that was a no-go for me. One other phone interests which turned silent after.

A couple of seemingly interested ones but so far no calls.

I've had jobless gaps before in the past (a 4 month and a 7 month). So far it has been 3.5 month but things feel abit different... i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

One thing I've learnt is when things get going well... please save enough money and possibly, open another source of income for ourselves. Working world is full of unpredictable that it'd be silly to even trying to think about it. Sometimes we can do all the things right and blend in well with everyone but still get singled out to leave. Sometimes we can hit the KPIs and still get retrenched. The best we could do is to save up for rainy days.

Hope everyone whose finding a job too hear good luck calling upon them soon.
No much details were shared for your last 2 jobs, but I do believe it takes 2 hands to clap. Mid 30s with 3 huge unemployment gaps is unheard of in my social circles.

Reply With Quote
  #2413 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2019, 10:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Agreed to disagree. Letís look at it this way, you have 400 resumes in front of you, the machine chooses 100 out of it (assuming that the one who left without a job get passed the algo, very rare).

Can you imagine what is your chance of getting an interview out of these 100 candidates? Zero, or <5% if you have some connections (referral, etc.). The reality is Singapore is not in shortage of talents, there are just so many foreigners wanting to start their careers here, they ask for lower pay while having few times better / more beautiful resume than yours.

When I was a fresh graduate many years back, I wondered why I only got 1 interview in average after sending out >10 tailored made resumes, now I get it, it is just how the hiring process works, whether you believe it or not.
That is why there are nowadays so many fresh grad sweet young things providing sexual services in sammyboy. but that is good plenty of them for men to choose and try!

Reply With Quote
  #2414 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2019, 01:04 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm not proud to say this but i am currently and has lots of experience of jobless times.

I've been through gaps of unemployment and i hope the follow tips can help those whom are also going through this tough period afloat;

1. Just keep trying. Keep applying on any job slightly to your interest; don't mind if you fit the requirement or not. Just hit the apply button, there's nothing to lose. Sometimes you don't think you are suitable but you maybe suitable to the employer.

2. This is really important; do not regress. Meaning do not let your personal self be affected by your job search. For example, don't become lazy in your dressing, grooming or diet just because now you are not working. If you let it snowball and regress... you will find yourself taking many steps backwards and soon you won't recognize yourself in the mirror. Many times when we are unemployed we slip up in our dressing etc... but all it takes it one slip up and many will follow.

3. Exercise. Seriously please do. When we're not working we have tons of time on our hand and can easily lead to laying around doing nothing. This is terrible for our physical and mental health. Exercise keeps us alert for any possible job interviews and not make us depress.

When i was unemployed before... i gave up and regress. I ended up spending all my savings smoking (more than i was during work), eating badly and doing nothing. Although i did found a job later on but all i became was fat and sicky.

This time i am watching my diet and exercise. It is helping me to stay in shape and keeping me sane.

So guys and girls, please do. It costs almost nothing to exercise and choosing the right diet won't cost much that what we are already eating. Take this negative period and turn it into a positive self improvement period. Maybe we can even emerge better looking and healthier.

Cheers!
Been doing what you have been saying, but somehow just feel very discouraged after being jobless for 2 months. Wonder how did you push yourself through this mentally tough time?


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iPhone


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #2415 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2019, 01:06 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm not proud to say this but i am currently and has lots of experience of jobless times.

I've been through gaps of unemployment and i hope the follow tips can help those whom are also going through this tough period afloat;

1. Just keep trying. Keep applying on any job slightly to your interest; don't mind if you fit the requirement or not. Just hit the apply button, there's nothing to lose. Sometimes you don't think you are suitable but you maybe suitable to the employer.

2. This is really important; do not regress. Meaning do not let your personal self be affected by your job search. For example, don't become lazy in your dressing, grooming or diet just because now you are not working. If you let it snowball and regress... you will find yourself taking many steps backwards and soon you won't recognize yourself in the mirror. Many times when we are unemployed we slip up in our dressing etc... but all it takes it one slip up and many will follow.

3. Exercise. Seriously please do. When we're not working we have tons of time on our hand and can easily lead to laying around doing nothing. This is terrible for our physical and mental health. Exercise keeps us alert for any possible job interviews and not make us depress.

When i was unemployed before... i gave up and regress. I ended up spending all my savings smoking (more than i was during work), eating badly and doing nothing. Although i did found a job later on but all i became was fat and sicky.

This time i am watching my diet and exercise. It is helping me to stay in shape and keeping me sane.

So guys and girls, please do. It costs almost nothing to exercise and choosing the right diet won't cost much that what we are already eating. Take this negative period and turn it into a positive self improvement period. Maybe we can even emerge better looking and healthier.

Cheers!
May I know how old you are? Am in a similar situation now, been jobless for 2 months and feeling helpless despite doing all the above. How did you cope mentally back then?
Reply With Quote
  #2416 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2019, 12:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If there are 2 offers..a contract job that pays 30% more than a perm job...which one should I take? I am mid career, nearing 40.
Anyone else has comments on this? Thanks.


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iPhone


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote

  #2417 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2019, 02:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Is it a must to ask questions at the end of interviews? Sometimes we just don't have questions to ask.. maybe due to interviewers already explain in details earlier or everything is very clear-cut. Is it ok to simply say "thanks, I've no further questions"?
Reply With Quote
  #2418 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2019, 02:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Anyone else has comments on this? Thanks.
At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself which one you really like. The environment, the interviewers, travelling distance, the job scope, staff benefits etc.. money is important but there are other factors to consider too.
Reply With Quote
  #2419 (permalink)  
Old 08-07-2019, 04:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Anyone else has comments on this? Thanks.
If you don't think that the 30% paycut is too big and you won't feel any dissatisfaction then you can take the perm job
Reply With Quote
  #2420 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-2019, 02:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you don't think that the 30% paycut is too big and you won't feel any dissatisfaction then you can take the perm job
I suppose if it helps you to stay sane and sleep well, then it isnt a bad choice.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our Poll Results: 45% Fresh Graduates Jobless Salary.sg Income and Jobs 48 01-07-2020 03:43 PM
Jobless Graduates Should Consider SAF Salary.sg Income and Jobs 60 14-06-2012 08:59 PM
How long should i work here? dryden28 Income and Jobs 6 31-08-2010 04:27 PM
65,400 Jobless in September, will be Significantly More Salary.sg Income and Jobs 0 16-01-2009 05:38 PM
Bank executives work long hours Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 25-05-2008 03:02 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Pay for digital marketing agencies
9 Replies, 2,183 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,077 Replies, 1,288,259 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,694 Replies, 2,629,939 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,094 Replies, 502,025 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
111 Replies, 15,596 Views
Third Party Contract From...
4 Replies, 225 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,137 Replies, 5,598,786 Views
Should I switch to a higher paying... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 749 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
100 Replies, 20,149 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
328 Replies, 99,856 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,930 Replies, 1,088,727 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
172 Replies, 78,561 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2019 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,638 Replies, 785,291 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,681 Replies, 1,613,097 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
115 Replies, 136,853 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,300 Replies, 1,912,782 Views
Can anyone enlighten me on the... ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 17,901 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,300 Replies, 910,937 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,201 Replies, 976,058 Views
Anyone being hired during covid... ( 1 2 3)
28 Replies, 2,616 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
72 Replies, 113,031 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
394 Replies, 252,071 Views
Lendlease Graduate Program 2021...
0 Replies, 143 Views
Credit Risk Salary
0 Replies, 111 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,797 Replies, 274,739 Views
Mortgage Specialist Role.
2 Replies, 1,494 Views
Possible to earn passive income... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 4,443 Views
Anyone work for Casino (RWS/MBS) ?... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 8,906 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
690 Replies, 213,128 Views
What's the graduate officer... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
56 Replies, 13,613 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2