Anyone jobless for a long time before? - Page 204 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 11-04-2019, 12:23 PM
Unregistered

We all know the economy will go through cycles of boom And recession. Am I correct to say that we are undergoing a recession at this point?(given that here are so many people jobless now)
How long do we think this recession will last?

Old 11-04-2019, 01:42 PM
Unregistered

Earn $ during recession, mortgage all your assets and open a short / put position on the index market

Old 11-04-2019, 03:27 PM

Pinko is on a distinguished road

Hi All, i am 40 years old this year. Was a contract worker until Dec 2017. after being jobless for so long, finally able to get a job late last year. But alas, a short 1 week before i was due to be confirmed, my ex-boss (FEMALE) terminated me with no compensation, on grounds that i was not ''performing''. (this termination also happened 1 week near to CNY 2019) I have reason to believe that this is an unfair dismissal. so i called in to MOM and wanted to log a case. MOM said that they dont handle my case, and throw me (the ball) to TADM. TADM is totally useless. They said that they dont have a strong case to fight for me, and said that my ex boss can totally dont come for the meditation. and she can come or dont come on a ''voluntary'' basis. Isnt this ridiculous or what? I was dismissed on unfair grounds, i never reported late at all, did OT whenever the need arises, saved money for the company when there's a event happening or able to cut budget for them. Sometimes i even skipped lunch due to the heavy workload. So i felt so angry for over a month before being able to claim down. now feeling so depressed as i have been sending out so many resumes and went for a number of interviews, where i was being passed over so many times for other junior people or FTs who is willing to take very low pay. I am aged 40, where they told me i am too ''old''. What should i do more to get immediate perm job?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 11-04-2019, 04:16 PM
Unregistered

Default Don't lose hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinko View Post
What should i do more to get immediate perm job?
The long speech before this line, is your rant. Nothing wrong but also nothing you, or anyone here can do right, so no point..

What should you do... You are not the only jobless, as you probably know. Many excellent and actionable steps are detailed before your post. Some people have been very very kind to share specifics of how they managed to get calls. Have you tried them? I find - do up a good cover - and - salary below 4k - to be actionable. There's even one person who advised to swallow pride and ask sincerely for the job to pay the bills.

At 40, everywhere thinks twice before calling. My advice would be, think of a solid excuse for being let go by that lady. That is a lethal bullet that has hit you no matter how unfair it is, because sadly, all bosses side with bosses. They don't want others' problem to become their problem. The companies that call, will surely ask about it.

I suggest you don't mention engaging MOM at the hiring stage because you may be perceived to be aggressive.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:29 PM
Unregistered

My advise to all is, if you ever receive a call to an interview with your desired company, accept it no matter what. I made the biggest mistake recently. Received a call from my desired company for interview. But the scheduled date and time clashes with another interview. So i asked the caller to reschedule and she said will give me a ring back after checking. She didn't call so i called to check. Said will get back to me after checking with the boss's calendar etc. The call nvr comes....
Old 12-04-2019, 11:06 PM
Unregistered

Post CSO Job

Hi Pinko,
May I know what kind of job you looking for? I will try to help you.
Now my company looking for CSO.

Old 13-04-2019, 12:57 AM
Unregistered

any singaporean indians on this forum? do you ever feel like overseas indian have more chances to get hired than yourself? i dont understand what we lack in ourselves.. is it because we are not educated enough or what.. bloody gahmen say we not talented enough.. y dont u improve the education system more to have individuals equipped with more skills than grades itself..
Old 13-04-2019, 09:06 AM
Unregistered

Default Sadly I somewhat agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
any singaporean indians on this forum? do you ever feel like overseas indian have more chances to get hired than yourself? i dont understand what we lack in ourselves.. is it because we are not educated enough or what.. bloody gahmen say we not talented enough.. y dont u improve the education system more to have individuals equipped with more skills than grades itself..
Not just because of Indian. Foreign skilled Vietnamese, Indonesia, China..

Overseas talent are very qualified and inexpensive. Almost half of overseas Indian have at least masters some are armed with phd (not sure about credibility of awarding uni though) and they are grateful to have a gross salary of 3k. Try giving a local 3k the fella will kick up a fuss. Secondly they are hungry for the job. Everything also "OK can do, sure, no problem" , local tend to avoid committing. Management likes people they can hold accountable though its lip service but still they like... Finally, many of these people have no family here, they won't take leave, mc, parent care, won't disappear 2 weeks reservist n disrupt workflow.

If there's no quota, Singaporeans are jobless. This is applicable for many other countries too.

The above is shared by my friends in upper levels of management.
Old 15-04-2019, 03:39 PM
Unregistered

***Just want to rant a bit... ***

After months of job hunting, the most frustrating thing is, i have been seeing the same job on companies' job portal for months after months.
Fine, if i am not qualified (that was why i was never shortlisted despite matching 99% to the JD), but can't be for months and there isn't any qualified candidate? Are these jobs even for real? For months and they can't find that 100% matching candidate?

***Alright rant ended, and now return to desk to send out more applications to the possibly the same job which I have saw/applied months ago (some looked suspiciously like the same job with just a different title...) ***
Old 15-04-2019, 04:32 PM
Unregistered

Default I agree buddy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
***Just want to rant a bit... ***

After months of job hunting, the most frustrating thing is, i have been seeing the same job on companies' job portal for months after months.
Fine, if i am not qualified (that was why i was never shortlisted despite matching 99% to the JD), but can't be for months and there isn't any qualified candidate? Are these jobs even for real? For months and they can't find that 100% matching candidate?

***Alright rant ended, and now return to desk to send out more applications to the possibly the same job which I have saw/applied months ago (some looked suspiciously like the same job with just a different title...) ***
I was interested in a job at a certain newly autonomous university. It had a number of ideal posts. When I asked my friend to sound out HR and forward my profile personally, HR say, not hiring, post to collect profiles first.

At some companies that are really good life and good salary, they post for fun. The only people they hire are based on reference. Colleagues friend, lecturers friend. Basically the person must be influential n vouch for you. You cannot say their process is not transparent, not fair, it is!

The post I wanted, got filled by the hod family member... My colleague. They already wanted her so the role was kind of created for her.

Also ranting haha.