Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 28-03-2019, 11:25 PM
Unregistered

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
any good recruitment agencies to suggest for a fresher entry level? will they pay me lower than my degree or shall I apply direct to companies?
Recruitment firms usually take your profile and anyhow sell you jobs then convince you to stay 3 months to let them earn commission. However to some people got job better than none. Win-win. From somewhere... Avoid capita, RMA, recruit express.

It this is about salary, apply to multi nationals and public service. Only these pay fairly at the moment, in my humble opinion. However they are very difficult to enter. Many SME offer graduates 2k and many graduates prefer to count ants than be 'insulted'. My cousins are such examples.

Old 29-03-2019, 07:29 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Recruitment firms usually take your profile and anyhow sell you jobs then convince you to stay 3 months to let them earn commission. However to some people got job better than none. Win-win. From somewhere... Avoid capita, RMA, recruit express.

It this is about salary, apply to multi nationals and public service. Only these pay fairly at the moment, in my humble opinion. However they are very difficult to enter. Many SME offer graduates 2k and many graduates prefer to count ants than be 'insulted'. My cousins are such examples.
I think this really is a catch-22
As someone who graduated 2plus years ago, I have come to realise that conventional wisdom has been right, your first job salary will determine your future job salary
So it’s not easy making a decision to take the plunge of low first job salary

Old 29-03-2019, 11:03 AM
Unregistered

Red face

Quote:
I think this really is a catch-22
As someone who graduated 2plus years ago, I have come to realise that conventional wisdom has been right, your first job salary will determine your future job salary
So it’s not easy making a decision to take the plunge of low first job salary
I am one such victim. My parents had the mindset that experience is better than counting ants. So my first job as a graduate was 1.5k during the Lehman brother global financial crisis. Even 1.5k I took 9 months to land. Until today I regret taking that job. Almost 10 years down the road my salary is roughly FCH starting pay. However there are others who decided to go into sales and sell property, insurance, car, taking 6-8k a month. But my question is, is my cohort so unfortunate?

Today I tell the youngsters, better count ants than regret with any lower than 2.5k your spouse and parents will be grateful 10 years down the road when they all become your dependents.

Majority of 'fair employment' companies are BS. Which fair employment judges you based on payslip? If truly fair please use a formula and completely ignore payslip. If truly fair, for the same position, pay the same to plain degree and honours.

Public service these days loves to declare that higher degree is irreverent and not counted, yet honours instantly get couple of hundred more. Same for WSQ certs. These jokers can't get their act together.

Old 29-03-2019, 01:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

MNC and gov job very hard to get in leh especially for a fresher no exp like me. What do you mean by grads prefer to count ants than to be insulted?
Old 29-03-2019, 02:15 PM
Unregistered

I think he means to wait it out than to take a Low paying job
Works for some, but not everyone has that luxury
Old 29-03-2019, 02:44 PM
Unregistered

Question

Quote:
I think he means to wait it out than to take a Low paying job
Works for some, but not everyone has that luxury
Thanks for unpacking the figure of speech. Looks like the year 2018/2019 will be another cohort of below market salaries. Some people I know, diploma holders with couple years of experience are in dilemma. They already climbed to 2k plus. To get a private part-time degree and still earn 2k plus for a plain vanilla paper... Or to gain 3 years of focused, good experience and climb faster

Old 29-03-2019, 10:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
MNC and gov job very hard to get in leh especially for a fresher no exp like me. What do you mean by grads prefer to count ants than to be insulted?
I'm the same person

Is possible. Management trainee / internship / temp to perm. Once you network and prove your worth, not difficulty to become perm. Most companies are still happy to take grads with just 1-2 years of experience. However still, 1000 graduates apply only 20-30 get through. At least not impossible ya.
Old 31-03-2019, 08:24 PM
Unregistered

Hi, just a silly question, how much money should we save a month? I am single, earn around 5k per month. So take home 4k, for which I give my parents 1.6k so 2.4 k left
Spend around 1k per month and 600 on insurance. So save 800. Is it too little? (Should I save more given the current volatile job market?)

Also how much savings should we have before we consider my marriage? I am still single, but want to prepare for the future. Have around 30k savings at present.(after 3 year work)
Old 31-03-2019, 09:14 PM
Ambition

Lightbulb Hope this helps

Quote:
Hi, just a silly question, how much money should we save a month? I am single, earn around 5k per month. So take home 4k, for which I give my parents 1.6k so 2.4 k left
Spend around 1k per month and 600 on insurance. So save 800. Is it too little? (Should I save more given the current volatile job market?)

Also how much savings should we have before we consider my marriage? I am still single, but want to prepare for the future. Have around 30k savings at present.(after 3 year work)
It's not silly at all, good to have youngsters who consider this seriously and not just rely on financial planning which to me is plain silly. Simple things why let people take a commission.

Buddy your insurance 600 per month?? You insure your legs for a million or something? My hospitalization plan cost under 1k a year.

Spending is really high. With a house and a car 2nd hand cash - my spending is 1k a month all in.

Parents- I cannot judge your fillial piety. Your parents are blessed with a good child. I give my parents a small amount, but whenever we go out I pay everything, and everything they need I pay. So it's like, the allowance is for their enjoyment. Definitely under 800 a month per annum basis.

Wedding also depends on both party. I spent under 30k for my wedding (photoshoot + 25 tables) as we both agreeable not to buy 'face' or waste money for 1 night only. Our house 300k bto 25 years loan. My reno under 30k. we gave ourselves a 50k budget, any surplus we go for holiday. In the end we were very happy to travel twice that year once six hours plane once 20 hours plane.

Its not how much you earn. Don't be a slave to money. Manage your time and money. Once you managed it, use debt to maximize returns through investment. At 5k fresh grad you are likely in a financial institute if not a unicorn company. Doubt I need to teach you about investment. Just regulate your spending bah.

We save min 30% of our salary.
Old 31-03-2019, 09:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambition View Post
It's not silly at all, good to have youngsters who consider this seriously and not just rely on financial planning which to me is plain silly. Simple things why let people take a commission.

Buddy your insurance 600 per month?? You insure your legs for a million or something? My hospitalization plan cost under 1k a year.

Spending is really high. With a house and a car 2nd hand cash - my spending is 1k a month all in.

Parents- I cannot judge your fillial piety. Your parents are blessed with a good child. I give my parents a small amount, but whenever we go out I pay everything, and everything they need I pay. So it's like, the allowance is for their enjoyment. Definitely under 800 a month per annum basis.

Wedding also depends on both party. I spent under 30k for my wedding (photoshoot + 25 tables) as we both agreeable not to buy 'face' or waste money for 1 night only. Our house 300k bto 25 years loan. My reno under 30k. we gave ourselves a 50k budget, any surplus we go for holiday. In the end we were very happy to travel twice that year once six hours plane once 20 hours plane.

Its not how much you earn. Don't be a slave to money. Manage your time and money. Once you managed it, use debt to maximize returns through investment. At 5k fresh grad you are likely in a financial institute if not a unicorn company. Doubt I need to teach you about investment. Just regulate your spending bah.

We save min 30% of our salary.
I am the poster of original post.
Insurance is life insurance plus savings plan plus rider (hospitalization) so 600.
Just checking, I assume house loan u pay via cpf. But u pay car loan plus montly expenses still less than 1k per month?