Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Anyone jobless for a long time before?

Old 25-03-2019, 11:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I resigned and been jobless for about 8 months as i have a young child. I was holding mid-level managerial post so i would say that pay is ok and workload stressful. Then now i begin to look for job to go back to the workforce. Very hard to even secure an interview. Tried to go for a more junior role, also no interviews. Finally got an interview through a recruiter but super super pissed with him. Very rude and keep making mistakes. He even scheduled the interview at the wrong date! Then as this company has 3 locations, he even lied to me that the future workplace will be at location A but luckily i enquired during the interview, it will actually be at location B. He called today that the company will officially offer but he keeps pushing down my expected salary and saying lots of sarcastic things. I'm actually not that super keen on the role as it will be super taxing and i might not be able to handle as i have family commitment. But i was seriously considering to just give it a try due to money la.. but now because of him, I feel like just giving this job opportunity a pass as i really feel like vomiting everytime i talk to him.
Some recruiters are just unethical. Want to earn commission and only stand in the view of employers. The comments and experiences hurt but most importantly is how much you want that job. If you are really keen, just ignore the recruiter. At the end of the day, he isn't your colleague or boss. If you aren't keen, then just reject the role. You won't get to see him anymore and he won't get to earn the commission.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 26-03-2019, 12:21 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Did you try SME? Sometimes asking people around you might help too. relatives/friends?
Open up your scope?

I graduated in 2009 and also gotten CAP less than 3.0 from NTU engineering. I started off with low pay $2,300 at SME. Moving forward, I am now earning annual salary close to 160-170k. Just get started without thinking about low pay. Can work out the pay later after you gain good working experience.
zhun bo? in 10 years salary from approx 30-40k pa to 160kpa? work as what share pls i also want, ur salary increase about 17 percent per year, suspect every year promote or u take MBA (highly unlikely with a 3.0 GPA) or u lying.

Old 26-03-2019, 07:55 AM
Unregistered

Default Tough for young, tougher for old

If you young people think it was tough to get a job, it is even tougher (near impossible) for us older people to get jobs. I am referring to people on the wrong side of 40 and above.

Already counted 5 of my classmates from the class of '90 "forced" to pre-mature retirement after being retrenched and looking unsuccessfully for another job.

At this age (before 55) their children are still schooling (in the Uni or poly), but luckily no more housing loan. They are now surviving on savings and investment. Needless to say, they constantly worry if their savings will last the distance.

As you can see, at any age, it is tough to get into employment. So for those who are currently working:

1. treasure your job
2. Save and save when you have income
3. Constantly stay relevant to the job market (upgrade your skills)
4. Invest if you have "extra" savings (ie money you can afford to lose)
5. Dont leave your current job without securing another one first
6. Remember, recruiters are also trying to earn a living
7. As a last resort, be open to take on other kind of work such as grab or taxi driving, food delivery etc..

Old 26-03-2019, 08:58 AM
Unregistered

Default It is possible

Quote:
zhun bo? in 10 years salary from approx 30-40k pa to 160kpa? work as what share pls i also want, ur salary increase about 17 percent per year, suspect every year promote or u take MBA (highly unlikely with a 3.0 GPA) or u lying.
Don't make assumptions. I am another person, My GPA was under 3, my higher degree turned out more than 4. Late bloomer they say. As long not exam based, I did super well writing papers.

Salary I seen many people strike gold by pulling strings, under 25 salary hit 8k per month working for startup. But note, by pulling strings. This shows that the school you went to and networking is crucial. However such salary often requires 24/7 effort.
Old 26-03-2019, 09:45 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I did not take MBA and I am not lying. I have six job changes (include 2 job changes with title promotion) and two promotions. Below are my progression.

Dec 2009: SME - 1yr 10mths
Joined as Engineer, promoted in early 2011 to Senior Engineer
Annual from 30k to 44k

3rd Q 2011: MNC 3yrs
Joined as Engineer, promoted in early 2013 to Senior Engineer
Annual 50k to 75k

3rd Q 2014: MNC 7mths
Joined as Manager and left as manager
Annual 85k to 85k

2nd Q 2015: MNC 1yr
Joined as manager and left as manager
Annual 92k to 95k

2nd Q 2016: MNC 2yrs 6mths
Annual 128k to 135k

4th Q 2018: MNC Current
Joined as Senior Manager
Annual approximately 165k

Most importantly, for me without any hon and cap less than 3.0, it is important to learn diligently and learn as much knowledge as possible to you can bring your value to the next level.

SG Bus Timing App

SGX Stocks [iPad] app
Old 26-03-2019, 09:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
If you young people think it was tough to get a job, it is even tougher (near impossible) for us older people to get jobs. I am referring to people on the wrong side of 40 and above.

Already counted 5 of my classmates from the class of '90 "forced" to pre-mature retirement after being retrenched and looking unsuccessfully for another job.

At this age (before 55) their children are still schooling (in the Uni or poly), but luckily no more housing loan. They are now surviving on savings and investment. Needless to say, they constantly worry if their savings will last the distance.

As you can see, at any age, it is tough to get into employment. So for those who are currently working:

1. treasure your job
2. Save and save when you have income
3. Constantly stay relevant to the job market (upgrade your skills)
4. Invest if you have "extra" savings (ie money you can afford to lose)
5. Dont leave your current job without securing another one first
6. Remember, recruiters are also trying to earn a living
7. As a last resort, be open to take on other kind of work such as grab or taxi driving, food delivery etc..
I think that in Singapore, around 35 it is problematic already. No need to reach 40. Even worse is if there is gap of more than 6 months in your resume, this is seen as a disease to be avoided.

Your 7 points are awesome, as the saying goes it is easier change self than to hope the world changes. It is even more problematic with dependents.

My colleague drives private hire during all his free time - 8-11pm and whole day weekend - to pay for child's university. The pay scale in SG is just really bad. In his words, the only fair paymaster is gahmen. SME all lowball him around 2k. He was global manager for MNC. I admire him for his flexibility. He does all the work assigned and earned the respect of the youngsters.

However, on the flipside, after observing how another person above 50 work, I sadly conclude that if I am a hiring manager, I prefer a younger attitude. (not just person) some senior people around me always find ways to avoid the work rather than solve problems for boss. Then despite being the same rank, they take it upon themselves to supervise rather than do. The thing to do is totally not physically demanding.

If I can only find 1 in 5 seniors that willing do a junior position properly, the risk is too high, I rather take a fresh grad and write on the blank paper. It is less troublesome than trying to erase the paper or some say already enculturated. Afterall in industry 4.0 technology will disrupt every industry, experience counts for nothing.

Maybe a senior person may find my perspective useful to customise a compelling cover.

Old 26-03-2019, 10:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Don't make assumptions. I am another person, My GPA was under 3, my higher degree turned out more than 4. Late bloomer they say. As long not exam based, I did super well writing papers.

Salary I seen many people strike gold by pulling strings, under 25 salary hit 8k per month working for startup. But note, by pulling strings. This shows that the school you went to and networking is crucial. However such salary often requires 24/7 effort.
err no assumptions made here, it is a fact that if ur gpa is less than 3 out of a 5.0 scale, ur chance of going into a top MBA school that can actually have such a salary jump is almost zero, unless pull strings? Donations into school from your dad?

next thing is ur 'higher degree' with a more than 4 out of 5 i assume? isnt that stellar either, its just slightly above avg in today's inflated grade market. And since ur GPA was less than 3, no way u qualified for a good school for a masters or PhD, its just not possible lol, unless u have some real good reason why ur GPA is less than 3 or have some commendable community work with impact

SG Bus Timing App

SGX Stocks [iPad] app
Old 26-03-2019, 10:06 AM
Ambition

Quote:
I did not take MBA and I am not lying. I have six job changes (include 2 job changes with title promotion) and two promotions. Below are my progression.

Dec 2009: SME - 1yr 10mths
Joined as Engineer, promoted in early 2011 to Senior Engineer
Annual from 30k to 44k

3rd Q 2011: MNC 3yrs
Joined as Engineer, promoted in early 2013 to Senior Engineer
Annual 50k to 75k

3rd Q 2014: MNC 7mths
Joined as Manager and left as manager
Annual 85k to 85k

2nd Q 2015: MNC 1yr
Annual 92k to 95k

2nd Q 2016: MNC 2yrs 6mths
Annual 128k to 135k

4th Q 2018: MNC Current
Joined as Senior Manager
Annual approximately 165k

Most importantly, for me without any hon and cap less than 3.0, it is important to learn diligently and learn as much knowledge as possible to you can bring your value to the next level.
Congrats buddy. Your field of engineering must be quite niche and you being very lucky, to jump ship annually and increase salary more than 10% each time.

I observe that people who dare to change job tend to increase salary rapidly. However the job title better be minimum some sort of manager. Operations very difficult.
Old 26-03-2019, 10:41 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
err no assumptions made here, it is a fact that if ur gpa is less than 3 out of a 5.0 scale, ur chance of going into a top MBA school that can actually have such a salary jump is almost zero, unless pull strings? Donations into school from your dad?

next thing is ur 'higher degree' with a more than 4 out of 5 i assume? isnt that stellar either, its just slightly above avg in today's inflated grade market. And since ur GPA was less than 3, no way u qualified for a good school for a masters or PhD, its just not possible lol, unless u have some real good reason why ur GPA is less than 3 or have some commendable community work with impact
Through work experience and portfolio. I think we have different ideas of what constitutes a "good school". Good enough for me, the paper helps to get interview and increase chances for promotion. Without my higher degree public service never called.

A GPA of 4/5 for work and study is "amazing" , I quote my professor. I was not sponsored by my company and thus, received no discount in terms of workload or time off. Maybe it's "inflated" , but it looks good in my resume, conferred by a good uni that's good enough for me.

You can choose not to believe me, or the engineer who's doing well now. Just two jokers who bother to try inspire others that with hard work and some luck, it is possible. SG already reached the point alike India graduates are jobless and driving taxis. A paper no longer entitle us to the job, it only increase our chance to be at the interview and be considered for promotion. Our attitude and experience gets the job.
Old 26-03-2019, 11:00 AM
Unregistered

Totally agree that 35 years old is considered not easy to get a job in Singapore. Due to recruitment of FT, we are experiencing higher level of competition as compared to many other countries.